Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: North West England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

In the end of the heavy snow stopped 15 minute after is started and the very light dusting that did try and settle melted away very quickly.

I did detect some rain a second moderate snow shower

Since then though nothing.

Posted

3cm fallen here since 1600, radar shows the backedge not far away so It looks like the precip will be ending soon. Once again the Pennines got the better of the forecast than the low-lying areas, still less than predicted but theres 3cm of snow on the ground so I cant complain.

Posted
It could well be further south as I expect or further north, it's position will change. But here is the evidence that you cannot seem to find

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UW36-594.GIF?08-18

http://91.121.94.83/modeles/gens/run/gens-21-2-42.png?12

http://gfs.netweather.tv/gfs.20090208/12/4...ctypeuktopo.png

ECM, UKMO, GEFS mean, NOGAPS and JMA all now suggest that this storm will effect the northwest to some degree.

The latest fax chart suggests the area of snow hitting parts of the region, a slight shift further north and we would be right in the middle of something big.

I would say your location as a 30% chance of seeing something tomorrow night. Like you say though ay this stage you cannot be certain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
3cm fallen here since 1600,

About the same here and i'm not talking about the time either, i mean the year :db:

Posted
May I ask again, what makes snowfall significant please? (in your eyes)

Significant snowfall in my opinion consists of the following:

(1) Depths of over 2 inches.

(2) Long period of snowfall.

(3) Groundcover at least 1 day - ie/does'nt melt within a few hours.

Why I don't consider the snowfall in my loation this week to have been 'significant:'

(1) Depths have'nt exceeded 1.5cm

(2) Any snowfall has usually melted well within 12 hours

(3) No 'heavy' falls.

I know it is different for others in the north-west in places such as Cheshire, East Lancs, higher ground who have had a few inches etc.

Hot*Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
About the same here and i'm not talking about the time either, i mean the year :db:

:D:D:D

Posted
About the same here and i'm not talking about the time either, i mean the year :p

lol haha, comes with the territory of being a ex-pilot, going off the old aviation system. Must stick with being a Civvy lol. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

1600 - the year not the time - wonderful! :p

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted
Good things come to those who wait :D

in 2356 (if you're lucky)

I suspect an ice age would miss the NW at this rate B)

Posted

Well I for one am quite happy with what we've had here, from a few days ago which gave us a 2inch covering and is still on the ground in many places here, to the new 1-2cm covering we've had this evening. Sometimes you have to just be happy with your place in life - or else move to a different region!

I'll be following tomorrows weather with interest. I personally think it's a little presumptious to write it off before it's even begun and we will just have to wait and see if the God of snow has anything up his sleeve for us. Although as I say, I'm happy either way.. we've seen some snow and although it's not been 'significant', it's been there. Which is nice.

Edited by Louise

Posted

Well the wintry mix has now practically left the North West region, the backedge clear on the radar. Nice covering here, everywhere's white, I think temps are set to go below freezing during the night so it might be icy tomorrow. Then it's eyes down for tomorrow night/Tuesday morning's low, just how North will it get?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Stopped snowing here leaving a grand total of 4cm.

Hardly the stuff that memorable winters are made of but more than i saw all last winter and sufficient to top up what is still on the ground.

It will be interesting to see what happens if it freezes as regards school closures in the morning.

My daughter's school has now been closed on three occasions this winter......2 days in early December and once at the end of January.

That is more days lost to the weather than in my whole school career.

My how times have changed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.
in 2356 (if you're lucky)

I suspect an ice age would miss the NW at this rate :wacko:

Something like this?post-509-1234126524_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

:) Brilliant Snowdrifter

Posted

Should not laugh but :)

I dunno why the North West is missing so much of this ...

I'm 41 now, and can still remember when the North West got bucket loads.

Posted

:):)

sums it up well! haha

"It was the age 2100 the great ice age fell upon the Isles of Great Britain, the tree line shifted down to roughly where south Bilbao is, except of course in the northwest region of England were hot steamy mangrove forest developed under their localised snow shield"

Posted
Should not laugh but :)

I dunno why the North West is missing so much of this ...

I'm 41 now, and can still remember when the North West got bucket loads.

Same here.

Even living in the highest town asl. in Lancashire doesn't guarantee snow anymore

Something has changed. The position of the region hasn't but even in the middle of what may turn out to be the worst winter for a generation, we can't seem to get the right set up for a decent slice of the cake.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Well, I can only recommend to you chaps to leave the pc alone for a a few hours and go out in the Peak District, loads of snow there and today it started snowing mid-afternoon and by 6pm, it was a winter wonderland. Roads were pretty bad mind you, even main axis like the Macc-Buxton A road was hair-rising at times.

Posted
:lol: :lol:

sums it up well! haha

"It was the age 2100 the great ice age fell upon the Isles of Great Britain, the tree line shifted down to roughly where south Bilbao is, except of course in the northwest region of England were hot steamy mangrove forest developed under their localised snow shield"

:D

Does anyone think tomorrow's system will reach us in any way? Roger Smith over on the 'Watching the Channel Low' thread mnetions up to 5cms in Yorkshire, so is there going to be a 35,000ft high wall being built around us?

Posted
Well, I can only recommend to you chaps to leave the pc alone for a a few hours and go out in the Peak District, loads of snow there and today it started snowing mid-afternoon and by 6pm, it was a winter wonderland. Roads were pretty bad mind you, even main axis like the Macc-Buxton A road was hair-rising at times.

Is that the Cat & Fiddle road?

Posted

I'm gobsmacked to be honest ...

Here in Northamptonshire we always miss the worse of the weather, but this week, god knows why we are the worse hit. 16inches !!!!!!!!!!!! for god sake.

Post is for Iand61

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted

I can second that, its just stopped and we have another 2inches on top of what hadn't melted :lol:

I just went for a quick look about and yes roads are quite nasty lets hope the gritters get out by the start of tomorrow.........or not!!

Cheers

Kev W

Is that the Cat & Fiddle road?

it most certainly is :lol:

www.cat-cam.co.uk