Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&w Yorkshire, Northern & Ne England

Posted
Yeah, It could completely change and miss us completely or, better still, fall as rain :cray:

Drizzle no doubt :p

The forecast on bbc just now was disappointing.

Edited by TOMB RAIDER LEGEND

Posted
The system running down from Scotland tonight (some calling it a polar low) looks like it could actually deliver the first proper snow of the winter here. I am interested to see how acurate the GFS projection is compared to watching the radar later tonight.

Yes, I think you are in a prime location and will do better than I will. Some members in the North East haven't done too well lately,

from these snow events, so I hope it delivers.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

I wouldn't worry about sleet/rain either Brian, looks like fairly intense precip under cold uppers and during the night, cold ground temps/DPs. Looks like missing my area but I'm happy for those in the NE who haven't fared as well as the higher parts of the region further S and W.

It was interesting as I was walking across Harlow Hill today which is the highest part of Harrogate, scrapes 200m I think, and the land falls quickly away towards the town centre so you can see the whole of the Vale of York and right over the the Moors and the White Horse. (i.e. it's the last hill in the Pennines). I could see lots of snow on the Moors and on the higher parts of Harrogate, however below 100m it was very patchy and in the Vale of York itself it was mainly green.

Posted
I wouldn't worry about sleet/rain either Brian, looks like fairly intense precip under cold uppers and during the night, cold ground temps/DPs. Looks like missing my area but I'm happy for those in the NE who haven't fared as well as the higher parts of the region further S and W.

It was interesting as I was walking across Harlow Hill today which is the highest part of Harrogate, scrapes 200m I think, and the land falls quickly away towards the town centre so you can see the whole of the Vale of York and right over the the Moors and the White Horse. (i.e. it's the last hill in the Pennines). I could see lots of snow on the Moors and on the higher parts of Harrogate, however below 100m it was very patchy and in the Vale of York itself it was mainly green.

I would've liked have to seen that view, Dave. :) I must jump in the car and have a look myself; there are some pretty good vantage points

around here :)

I've just watched the Sky forecast, which I know should be taken with a pinch of salt, and their graphics appeared to look rather sleety.

As you say though, we should be OK.

Posted
I've just watched the Sky forecast, which I know should be taken with a pinch of salt, and their graphics appeared to look rather sleety.

As you say though, we should be OK.

I wouldnt really worry about Sky's forecast in truth Brian, the PPN looks rather light so even if you do get sleet, you won't miss much.

If i'm lucky, i might get a dusting but all i do know is that i won't be making any snowmen from this snowfall coming down from the North, its too light and dies out once it reaches us.

Still got patches of snow in my garden from Saturday/Sunday night snowfall but apart from that, any evidence of lying snow is all but gone now.

Posted

No such look here at 1050feet in the Tyne Valley a mere 15 miles from Newcastle as the crow flies!

Pics below took in the last half hour within 5 minutes walk of home!

post-9655-1234279364_thumb.jpg

post-9655-1234279390_thumb.jpg

Posted

very poor last night tbh, i was adiment that everything that would fall from the sky would be snow, but there was a mixture of snow, rain, and sleet from time to time :( , in the morning there was a dusting of snow, the snow levels have dropped drastically, grass not too bad but i would say about 60% of all snow has now gone :( . Need a substantioal top up fast!!!

What are the prospects for tonight?

Posted
UK Met Office now going for snow showers tonight and 'heavy' ones over the Pennines.

Latest radar showing snow over northern Scotland heading southwards.

Hope so, whats you elevation ?

Posted

Im near the very top end of Pudsey. Up by The Bankhouse .Its about 185m at the top so say 175m at mine. 550Ft in old terms.

Certainly helps with the snow compared to the city but not quite the height of Yeadon

Posted
Im near the very top end of Pudsey. Up by The Bankhouse .Its about 185m at the top so say 175m at mine. 550Ft in old terms.

Certainly helps with the snow compared to the city but not quite the height of Yeadon

Whoa, quite shocked when i read that, i thought pudsey was on very low ground, parts of it must be, because when i drive to Leeds and go past asda there is usually hardly any snow at all if ever, hence why i thought Pudsey is on low ground. Google earth says the highest point in Pudsey is 193m so maybe you are even higher than 175m, i live at the highest point in Leeds (cookridge) i just put LBA cos its easier for every1 else :(

Posted

Yeh its deceptive. There is never much snow near ASDA and the bottom end of Pudsey is much lower.

I work in otley Wednesdays and pass LBA and go down the Chevin. I think its about 240M at the top there.

Is the top of Cookridge near the TV aerial tower?

Posted
Yeh its deceptive. There is never much snow near ASDA and the bottom end of Pudsey is much lower.

I work in otley Wednesdays and pass LBA and go down the Chevin. I think its about 240M at the top there.

Is the top of Cookridge near the TV aerial tower?

Yeah sure is, these are the top highest places in Leeds

1-Billing (rawdon)- 243m

2-Otley Shevin- 235m

3-Cookridge- 210m

4-Leeds Airport- 201m

Everyone i know says cookridge its the highest place in Leeds, but it isnt, but it is the highest suburbanised place in Leeds as all the other places stated there are rural areas :(

Posted
No such look here at 1050feet in the Tyne Valley a mere 15 miles from Newcastle as the crow flies!

Pics below took in the last half hour within 5 minutes walk of home!

Very similar here, where about in the Tyne Valley are you?

Had another ice day, temp now down to -3.4C

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted

Is tonight marginal for Newcatle? I have a feeling it could just be sleet. Temps down to 1.5c atm. If it is snow how much can i expect?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

We had some precip come in earlier at midday, it was sleetyish, but with the odd big flake mixed in. This was right on the coast (my office is at the top of the cliffs) and so this gives me some hope that as night falls, we might not miss out on some snow. Especially as being a couple of miles in land at home often makes or breaks a deal here...

Posted

I dont understand where this ppn is coming from :D , GFS shows ppn clipping NE coasts at best, can some one explain to me please what the situation is tonight for Yorkshire.

Posted
We had some precip come in earlier at midday, it was sleetyish, but with the odd big flake mixed in. This was right on the coast (my office is at the top of the cliffs) and so this gives me some hope that as night falls, we might not miss out on some snow. Especially as being a couple of miles in land at home often makes or breaks a deal here...

Yes, I was watching that on the radar. I was quite lucky, because I had proper snow, but

unfortunately it didn't settle due to the wetness of the ground.

I think we should be fine tonight because of the timing of the precipitation :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I take it this is what we're watching, directly west of the top of the Scottish mainland...

post-3392-1234291930_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look as impressive as it did on the 16:00 image...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

At least any ppn which falls here will be snow, already down to 0.2C :D

Posted
I take it this is what we're watching, directly west of the top of the Scottish mainland...

post-3392-1234291930_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look as impressive as it did on the 16:00 image...

At least any ppn which falls here will be snow, already down to 0.2C :D

I'd say the chances of that feature being on a dead eye track for us, and also not weakening so much that we only get a dusting, is no more than remote.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Now i'm confused!

The lastest high res NMM run is out, which is usually pretty accurate at short range.

Here is the ppn chart for 19:00...

post-3392-1234294405_thumb.png

It's totally different to the position on the 19:00 satellite...

IF this ever gets here it could be tomorrow lunchtime at this rate!