Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch : Scotland

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

question is are we going to get a sniff of it here in Glasgow? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

So if the low tracks across the North East and out into North Sea, how will we get snow in fife and the lothians?

or am i needing that glass of wine?? lol

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
Posted this in the wrong thread.

:D

For LadyP

:D indeed. I just got fed up with it all and the :D took me! Is it still there or has it been moved I wonder...

Thanks! I did find that smilie but there are no flying toys in it, suitable for the occasions required. Maybe I'll edit it at some point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
A lot is being made of that supposed 'polar low' but it's just the low pressure system that was meant to cross Scotland tonight. Bringing around 5cm to some parts with a small but moderate band of PPN that is picked up by the PPN charts on the models. It's only a small system, it's not going to bring widespread blizzards and 10cm+ to Scotland. People are making too much of it, if that was a Polar Low there would be quite significant snow from it and there won't be significant snow from it.

If you had read the posts more carefully we already know that this is a run of the mill low pressure system. Amazing, we Scots can think eh? :D

If you look above the NW of Scotland you can clearly see there is a Polar Low developing but then again to people down south that area may as well be non- existent :D .

Thanks for the input andy but it's time to make tracks back to your own thread and we'll enjoy the snaw :D

Edited by WhiteXmas

Posted
So if the low tracks across the North East and out into North Sea, how will we get snow in fife and the lothians?

or am i needing that glass of wine?? lol

How is it going to interact with the occluded front passing south now, it seems to be on one end of it. Will it make the front swing around or will the low be dragged south with it. I can't see it keeping to that straight line.

If you had read the posts more carefully we already know that this is a run of the mill low pressure system. Amazing, we Scots can think eh? :D

If you look above the NW of Scotland you can clearly see there is a Polar Low developing but then again to people down south that area may as well be non- existent :D .

Thanks for the input andy but it's time to make tracks back to your own thread and we'll enjoy the snaw :D

Now it's all quiet down south they are looking around. They missed the 3 polar lows all lined up last week, the first of which clipped the NE of Scotland as it decayed. It's actually been quite busy up here since the north wind began to blow.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!
How is it going to interact with the occluded front passing south now, it seems to be on one end of it. Will it make the front swing around or will the low be dragged south with it. I can't see it keeping to that straight line.

Now it's all quiet down south they are looking around. They missed the 3 polar lows all lined up last week, the first of which clipped the NE of Scotland as it decayed. It's actually been quite busy up here since the north wind began to blow.

Interesting times, worth a watch on the radar then !! thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Oh well can't blame them. This year is probably the first year andy has seen lying snow :D So it is understandable he is now searching in vain for more :D . We are seasoned veterans when it comes to snowfall however :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Evening all.

Interesting feature that moving in from the NW. I think our neighbours from south of the border are confused by people on calling it a 'polar low'. My understanding is it a uniquely scottish weather system known as a 'palar law'. Ken whit am sayin likes?

Anyway, not very confident I'll see much of it down here, but who knows.

-1.3 C, DP = -3.6 C

Posted

Very light snow here - seems like the bulk passed us to the north however. Is there more to come in that band just to the north (but just out of radar range)?

Posted

it certainly is skirting us I think, I'm about 18 miles east of Huntly and 18 miles west of Aberdeen city - we've about a cm now, NW features always seem to miss the sheltered east Aberdeenshire and Aberdeen itself.

However I measured today and we've still 6.5 inches of level snow so a cm or 2 top up will do quite nicely :D

Don't think Glasgow will see this one, but the one following behind is supposed to track more to the west coast isn't it?

PS: White Xmas, thanks for your input in this thread I enjoy readin your posts

PPS: LadyP, where'd you lose it (I've done that myself a time or 2 ;) ) hard not to lose patience at times

PPPS my c.heating is still frozen :D

Posted
Very light snow here - seems like the bulk passed us to the north however. Is there more to come in that band just to the north (but just out of radar range)?

What do you see just outside radar range? That's the snow off - 15 minute light then moderate snow shower - I was hoping for better at 4.30.

Posted
PPS: LadyP, where'd you lose it (I've done that myself a time or 2 :D ) hard not to lose patience at times

Model thread... *blush*

What do you see just outside radar range? That's the snow off - 15 minute light then moderate snow shower - I was hoping for better at 4.30.

Imagination! I was looking at the sat pic and seeing cloud, but on the radar it's the showery stuff. Maybe they'll intensify as they come down.

Posted

At last we got a dumping!! After watching nearly the whole country get snow we finally got our share here in the north today. We had not been forecast any and certainly had no warnings but we got 3 hours of it resulting in two to three inches. I even got off work early as the road conditions were very poor. Its great and the most we have had for years.

post-6859-1234295220_thumb.jpg

post-6859-1234295246_thumb.jpg

Posted

nice one Waxwing, hopefully we will see something in Perth soon as i am beginning to lose heart in it all.

Posted

The first low that is currently sitting east of Aberdeen with some remnants over the Grampians gave about 5-7cm on the north coast although I've been told around 15cm fell a bit further inland. There were actually a few flashes of lightning when it was approaching the coast at about midday.

The second low is just about to reach the coast but looks to be dispersing slightly, though I'd still expect another 2-3cm

Posted

You never know, I had given up and then out of the blue it came, with not a single forecast predicting it.

Posted
At last we got a dumping!! After watching nearly the whole country get snow we finally got our share here in the north today. We had not been forecast any and certainly had no warnings but we got 3 hours of it resulting in two to three inches. I even got off work early as the road conditions were very poor. Its great and the most we have had for years.

Excellent! Just goes to show the forecasters/Meto haven't a grip on other regions outwith their own little fiefdome!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

are we meant to get any?????????