Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch : Scotland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
Yeah couldn' t agree more, far more informed and getting a better understanding of things this way.

Anyway speaking of understanding, i've been having a peek at the charts for next few days, it appears to my untrained eye that we are going to be well influenced by high pressure but that this may result in some possibilities for eastern areas way later on?? i know everything is still subject to change but the possibilities seem there?

I am too lazy to check them today :) . Would usually check them later but I've got to go to hospital tonight :) lol. It has been a lovely day here today, the type of day usually associated with high pressure but the good sign in terms of snow prospects is that the pressure is already falling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!
I am too lazy to check them today :) . Would usually check them later but I've got to go to hospital tonight :) lol. It has been a lovely day here today, the type of day usually associated with high pressure but the good sign in terms of snow prospects is that the pressure is already falling.

Well indications look good for some snow, so i'll look forward to that.

its been a lovely sunny but cold day here today too.

Posted

Let's keep the fingers crossed for some more of the white stuff! :)

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

well the met-office seem to be a little slow on the potential snow event. either they don't have accurate enough data yet to post a warning or its possibly a non event which i hope not temp in car this afternoon was flashing at 1.c so not even a warning about black ice on roads cus they were slippy today in places

temp tonight is going to drop like a stone under clear sky

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted
well the met-office seem to be a little slow on the potential snow event. either they don't have accurate enough data yet to post a warning or its possibly a non event which i hope not temp in car this afternoon was flashing at 1.c so not even a warning about black ice on roads cus they were slippy today in places

temp tonight is going to drop like a stone under clear sky

Very true,

Temp will start to fall away in the next half an hour I would imagine. Amazingly the pressure has now gone back up 9 millibars. Some very adverse conditions by the looks of things!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Metoffice update, Concerned by these. I thought we may get sleet. But rain?

Weather forecast: Strathclyde

<H3>This Evening and Tonight:</H3>A few wintry showers this evening and early tonight, mainly rain on low ground, snow higher ground inland, local slight falls. Turning dry overnight with long clear spells leading to sharp frost and risk of ice. Minimum temperature -5 °C.

Better in the east: Central, Tayside & Fife

<H3>This Evening and Tonight:</H3>A few snow showers will spread from the west this evening and early tonight perhaps giving slight falls in places. Turning mainly dry and clear again overnight with sharp frost and risk of ice. Minimum temperature -5 °C.

Most snow will fall in the northwest highlands.

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted
Very true,

Temp will start to fall away in the next half an hour I would imagine. Amazingly the pressure has now gone back up 9 millibars. Some very adverse conditions by the looks of things!

would be nice to get some more snow but honestly i really am not bothered. had 2 nice snow events this winter if i was wanting one more then i would want the mother of all dumping s

Posted

Yes the showers have been pleasantly frequent this winter compared to previous ones recently. Let's hope there is one big dump still to come though! :air_kiss:

Posted

hoping for more normal weather in march high winds and plenty of rain sorry snow lovers.

Comes in like a lamb goes out like a lion. :air_kiss:

Posted

met-office flash warning for aberdeenshire for heavy snow

A band of heavy snow showers will affect Moray and North Aberdeenshire this evening and may give accumulations of 2 to 5cm within a few hours, giving difficult driving conditions. The public are advised to take care and refer to 'Traffic Scotland' for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1546 Tue 10 Feb

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

where is the supposed polar low at the moment????

i can see heavy snow in the moray firth.. is that what we are meant to get tonight???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: COLD AND SNOWY

on the radar the heavy precip west of islay is moving in my direction and the potential from the polar low must be increasing as it is shoving showers in from the nw at mom :(

temp here a balmy 3.1*c

Edited by markg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
http://www.sat24.com/gb

to the NW of Scotland... it's a corker

when and where is it meant to hit?

will the showers in the northeast affect us?

Posted

Just saw that warning too, tbh I wasn't expecting it this far east..

Just a report to say that temp dropped from +5.8 to 0.0 in 2.5 hours between 2pm and 4.30pm

don't have a barometer to see the pressure drop, and that band that's on the radar is further East that I thought it was going to be

Ah.. have just seen a few light flakes and Huntly cam shows the snow is there or there abouts, it's hard to tell in the half light but it matches what I see to the west out my window..

believe Portsoy has seen an inch or so already, apparently it's falling very thickly and blowing

the worst may still not reach here but it's close

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

A lot is being made of that supposed 'polar low' but it's just the low pressure system that was meant to cross Scotland tonight. Bringing around 5cm to some parts with a small but moderate band of PPN that is picked up by the PPN charts on the models. It's only a small system, it's not going to bring widespread blizzards and 10cm+ to Scotland. People are making too much of it, if that was a Polar Low there would be quite significant snow from it and there won't be significant snow from it.

Posted

the band over us just now isn't the "polar low" thingy though is it? they are still quite distinct on the satellite with the curly thing still off the NW

Posted
:D I'd be ecstatic with 5cm.....

same, we've had nothing like that

i can't see this band anyway

is it just bands of showers or is there a substancial snow band?

why is there so much snow in the north east?

will it reach here

Posted
A lot is being made of that supposed 'polar low' but it's just the low pressure system that was meant to cross Scotland tonight. Bringing around 5cm to some parts with a small but moderate band of PPN that is picked up by the PPN charts on the models. It's only a small system, it's not going to bring widespread blizzards and 10cm+ to Scotland. People are making too much of it, if that was a Polar Low there would be quite significant snow from it and there won't be significant snow from it.

Andy I guess you mean I'm making a big deal of it.

The reason being it's a strange looking feature, and has been for almost 24 hours now. I understand it's "just a low", but last night some of us thought PL characteristics suited this thing. Therefore, my interest in it has been ever since.

It's finally moving SE quite quicky now and looks to have snow in it. 5cm is fine for some, I'm sure!

Over on the Polar Low thread you'll see I countered your proper PL image with a ZAMG chart showing a polar low too. You'll agree this system looks better than the ZAMG one?

:-)

Edited by Delta X-Ray