Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch : Scotland

Posted

Hey Andy - take a look at this from a few days go - 3 polar lows in a row, very cool! :)

http://www.knmi.nl/data/satrep/archive/ZAM...090205_1200.png

The lower one swiped the NE corner of Scotland as it was destabilising. I think the other two just dissipated.

Sorry about earlier - blame low blood sugar. Better now!

Posted

More heavy snow here, but it is getting wet and temp now at -0.1 with dew at -0.9. So I am praying it does not get much warmer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
Hmm, the cold air seems to have moved back in. Temp down to 0c and dewpoint to -1c with a heavy shower approaching. It's is very slippy outside as the rain from earlier has now frozen!

Well at least the rain hasn't hindered your chances then in terms of snow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Looks like we're likely to see some snow later on. We had clear skies and temp falling was at -2 last i looked. Lovely bright moon earlier tonight.

Will see in the morning if we were lucky with some snow.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
Some showers moving in now, although the big meaty one just slipped south of me. Anyone from Bridge of Weir on here, you might have caught it.....

It is over me now, heavy sleet which is all going to freeze in the morning. Might go skating if i get up early :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Hey Andy - take a look at this from a few days go - 3 polar lows in a row, very cool! :)

http://www.knmi.nl/data/satrep/archive/ZAM...090205_1200.png

The lower one swiped the NE corner of Scotland as it was destabilising. I think the other two just dissipated.

Sorry about earlier - blame low blood sugar. Better now!

Nice :) I'm sorry aswell for being stupid earlier.

Paul and Ross... Don't worry i'm leaving that now, I just wanted to have my say thats all :)

Posted

Have gone just over freezing here now - just up to 0.1 degs.

Quite a change from the last 2 days with - 13.2

Hope it drops a back a bit - I'm not ready to lose the snow yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It snowed for about five minutes here in Sneckie yesterday afternoon...Then it all turned to rain and sleet. (AGAIN!)

Now it's dry, clear and frosty at -2.9C...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
It snowed for about five minutes here in Sneckie yesterday afternoon...Then it all turned to rain and sleet. (AGAIN!)

Now it's dry, clear and frosty at -2.9C...

Yes I saw that actually. The track of that tight feature just of the North West coast didn't behave as was expected, it took a less south easterly track track, meaning it only clipped Inverness and didn't drag some of that nice cold air that remained around the north highlands. The snowline seemed to be just over the Moray Firth, pushing down across the Moray Firth to meet Lossiemouth - another near miss!

Guest Shetland Coastie

More heavy snow showers overnight adding to the existing snow cover and another really heavy shower just now with almost blizzard-like conditions for about half an hour :)

Guest Shetland Coastie

Superb!

Absolute blizzard conditions here at the moment, visibility down to just a few yards, heavy driving snow :yahoo:

And whats this I see up north - another Polar Low?!

noaa-15-02110706-mcir.jpg

Edited by Shetland Coastie

Posted

We have seen a huge number of these things (and similar) this winter. One satellite image I looked at last night seemed to have another circulation forming just north of that one - it could have been the wine tho'... *shrug*

Anyway, for your viewing pleasure, a hi res image:

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/real...ent/n1bcurr.jpg

Looks like there is something in the North Sea - probably that low that went over last night.

Guest Shetland Coastie
We have seen a huge number of these things (and similar) this winter. One satellite image I looked at last night seemed to have another circulation forming just north of that one - it could have been the wine tho'... *shrug*

Anyway, for your viewing pleasure, a hi res image:

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/real...ent/n1bcurr.jpg

Looks like there is something in the North Sea - probably that low that went over last night.

Looks like this one is a much more serious affair than the ones we've had so far don't you think. A lot more circulation and a lot more heavy showers circling around it. :yahoo:

In fact, if you look at the most up to date satpic its definitely headed this way and look at the amount of weather circling round that!!

noaa-17-02110926-mcir.jpg

Edited by Shetland Coastie

Posted

Yup indeedy - you'll certainly have it rough if it carries on the same path. The eye seems to be swinging inland (maybe dissipating a bit? - see animation in link below) a bit but the main swirl of cloud will pass over you.

Found that little secondary one I thought I saw here:

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

You can see it at around 21:00 hours. At around 22-23:00 hours there is some rotation further north again (top of Norway) - looks like these little turbulances are toppling off the top of Norway and tumbling down the side...

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
BBC website showing heavy snow for Stirling tomorrow...

Can't see where that's coming from unless it's from the west..

;)

Haven't checked either, but it might be something to do with these nice wee feature rolling down the east coast:

PPVG89.png

PPVI89.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
Rather nice sat image of Scotland - no clouds so a good view of the snowfields.

Or in Fife's case, the lack of them! :doh: Still, we llive in hope.

Posted

Yeah DXR - just noticed the fax charts after I posted....here's hoping, not sure it will come to anything as it looks to hit us in the afternoon, and I dont think the temps will be too conducive...

Fingers crossed tho

Posted

We're having a surprising snowfall here - looking at the radar I wasn't expecting much at all. It's covering the bits of the avements that were clear quite rapidly. I don't expect it will last for long however.

DP has risen from -3 to -1 in the space of an hour or so. Temp around 1.

A friend sent me some pics of his icicles - thought you might be interested.

post-5343-1234371907_thumb.jpg

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

Not that lucky - we've been waving snow clouds bye-bye as they pass north of us for most of the day! It looks like the wind direction has shifted slightly as not so long ago it looked like these clouds would miss us too.