Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch : Scotland

Posted
I think there could be a good call for a Scottish Met Office.

I'm probably wrong, but didn't there used to be something like that up here but they closed it and moved them all into one location?

Posted

Rain here now but still 0c a real mix of weather today!!! Ground temperatures will be very low after all the severe frosts this week.

Posted

still going, now heavy thick flakes here, hasn't stopped since 7:30am - gotta go get weeyun from school as it's closing.

re: Dufftown JCB's etc.. been a long time since I saw that happening :) - That's a lot you had up there in Moray in a short space of time..

just waiting for the rain now :)

I'm probably wrong, but didn't there used to be something like that up here but they closed it and moved them all into one location?

I remember calling the Glasgow weather centre 041 code about 25 years ago in the days before premium rate 0891, 0898, 0906 etc came into being.

Those were the days.

Edited by david16

Posted

Looking at the meto, the TAF etc. the forecasts seem to suggest the snow will not become rain here before we run out of clouds. Remaining cold for another day or so as well.

I was expecting some rain to start washing away the snow but maybe we get to keep it for another day or two.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/gr/...st_weather.html

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

youre so lucky here its 12c and sunny im raging because this morning at 9 it was 1c and worse more belfasts still at 3c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Has been heavy/moderate snow all morning till just before noon. Not had any rain although i could see darker clouds over Edinburgh area.

We have definitely had the best falls this years so far and measure about 2 inches of lying snow.

Our schools on holiday this week, so its been great for the kids.

Got our new sledge out at last!!!

No met office warnings last night either!!!

Posted

Would love that...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Still falling as snow here but now a bit wetter with temps +0.1C. A good few inches has fallen since 6:30 this morning. About time we managed to join in the fun. :good:

My wife has just phoned to say our kids school is closed. First time for some years for that here. Buses are off to let the ploughs work.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
Lady P how would you describe the snow in Aberdeen today? Light/moderate in the main, but pretty wet stuff?

Yes, and mostly stopped now. Slushy pavements, new snow will probably be laying better on the old snow than on cleared surfaces (especially where salted).

It's a lot like the snow we got at the start of northerly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Still raining; but, oddly enough the temp has gone back down to near zero???

Guest Shetland Coastie

Well thats been a fun morning. Had about 6 inches of snow. Roads blocked, Schools etc all closed and power off in various places. Beautiful sunny day now though :yahoo:

Posted

For those interested and outwith the Anglocentric BBC zone of London and SE England, I found this link tucked away on the BBC website. I mean, I almost didn't see it. It reminds me of the situation which arose in the South recently, except we didn't get 24 hours WALL TO WALL COVERAGE, godammit :aggressive:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Will try and upload some photos of our snow.

:cc_confused:

post-863-1234452130_thumb.jpg

Hey hey first time uploading a file and managed it !!!

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Yep - best falls of the winter here as has been said above.

The front arrived 6 hours earlier than forecast - woke up to a couple of cms and heavy snow all morning :lol:

Temp been hovering around 0-2ºC. Good to see the cold spell go out with a bang and not a whimper :wallbash:

Posted

Currently 0.5c and misty to the south with clearing skies to the north and wet snow cover. If the frost returns tonight it will be very icy, who says the cold spell is over?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

it will be icy tonight, but it looks like it will be milder next week <_<

2-3inches here was certainly the best fall of the winter so far, but it looks colder from next weekend onwards so we're not done with winter yet B)

Posted

Wow, what a day.

Was snowing when I got up this morning (around 830 am) and didn't stop until close to 3 o clock. Was sent home from work early and the Travel Dundee buses stopped all services so the snow ploughs could clear all roads. It even made the news. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/taysid...ral/7885785.stm

I measured 12 cms of snow where I am.

Here's a few pics taken very near where I live.

All in all, the best snow we've had for at least 3 years, probably around 5.

post-5439-1234458943_thumb.jpg

post-5439-1234458987_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sawel

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
it will be icy tonight, but it looks like it will be milder next week :clap:

2-3inches here was certainly the best fall of the winter so far, but it looks colder from next weekend onwards so we're not done with winter yet :D

Firstly,

Well done CDubya.

Now!

:D Whit's goan oan???

Left for work this morning and it was starting to snow, returned home this evening to find that there is not any more snow than that which we have had lying here for the last week (approx 1.5 cm)

Again! North and South of here and now it would also appear to the East, have had a deacent fall, looking at the reports on the News. Work colleagues from our parent company in Teesside were sent home early afternoon due to heavy snow.

Since the start of this cold spell almost two weeks ago when it's came from the North, I have been too far South!

When it's came from the South, I have been too far North!

From the West, I have been too far East! and now it would appear that I may have been too far West???

Ye coudnae make this up!!! :o

:D:D:D

Like I said in a previous post a few days back "we couldn't buy a snow event this winter :D

Well done to all those that had a decent fall!

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Changed my mind about this cold snap after today. Between 5 and 6 inches of a crispy top over powdery snow in the back garden where undisturbed by the kids making their snowman this aternoonwhen it was wetter. Temps now -0.2C and looking pretty icy where the tyres have flattened the snow on the untreated roads.

Happier now. :)

Best here since 12th March 2006.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
Changed my mind about this cold snap after today. Between 5 and 6 inches of a crispy top over powdery snow in the back garden where undisturbed by the kids making their snowman this aternoonwhen it was wetter. Temps now -0.2C and looking pretty icy where the tyres have flattened the snow on the untreated roads.

Happier now. :rolleyes:

Best here since 12th March 2006.

Yes I've changed my mind a bit too... it was worth getting little snow last week to have a good fall like this. Definitely the best snow we've had in at least 3 years, maybe even longer. So much for the snow to turn to rain as the milder air moved in.... it stayed as snow, never melted and the temperature was close to zero all day and now it's freezing!

Edited by Sawel