Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch : Scotland

Posted

Hmm, haven't been looking much at radar today, but what's anyone's take on the front moving in from the west and then looking like it bends southwards from the north to join the cold airstream :D

http://www.sat24.com/

Crazy temps at Glasgow Airport. T3c, DP-6c

Edited by Delta X-Ray

Posted

It's being swept south by the jet stream as it reaches it I think.

http://www.knmi.nl/data/satrep/archive/ZAM...0211_1200.html#

The main feature today was that occluded fron heading south - gave snow in a few places on the way down - currently over the south of England at the moment. I think it's mostly rain now due to higher temps in the south.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
Not that lucky - we've been waving snow clouds bye-bye as they pass north of us for most of the day! It looks like the wind direction has shifted slightly as not so long ago it looked like these clouds would miss us too.

Absolutely LadyP - the wind has swung round to more of a northerly as I can see the clouds are moving in a southerly direction now. We definitely missed ou last night - another 20 miles further north and we would've added another inch or 2 to deep cover we already have.

I make this the 11th consecutive day of lying snow in Aberdeen (everyday in February) and snow has fallen in at least 10 of those days - remarkable!

Posted

Another fantastic winters day here with snowcover down to the sea all round the Firth with a fresh dusting last night. Some snow showers out to the NE giving great contrast to the blue of the North Sea. Tomorrow will be our 8th day of lying snow 8 inches deep so even if it warms up we have definitely had a winter with -10c on two nights in the last week a few miles from the sea. This is how February weather should be with the lower humidities drying the roads up to leave them white with salt. Disregarding the models every creature I observe is eating voraciously so I don"t think winter is over yet and with sea temperatures on the low side I would n"t be surprised to snowfall all the way to late April even on low ground. Currently -2c and cloudless.

Posted

The trend seems set for a less cold period to set in tomorrow across Scotland. The question seems to be whether it will go out with a bang or a whimper.

A warm front is approaching us from the west - and models are indicating that this will end the reign of severe over night frosts and low day time maxima... But it's not over yet:

Average temp tomorrow at 15h00:

post-1217-1234378581_thumb.png

And dewpoints:

post-1217-1234378602_thumb.png

The upper temperatures (850hpa) indicate cold enough for snow (remember -5ºC and below for a chance at wintry precipitation):

post-1217-1234378742_thumb.png

And here's the 850s with precipitation overlaid:

post-1217-1234378790_thumb.png

And the computer precipitation-type output:

post-1217-1234378863_thumb.png

GFS 12z shunts all this quite quickly west to east so here are some charts for 21h00 tomorrow. And it's a story of snow turning back to rain:

post-1217-1234378908_thumb.png post-1217-1234378916_thumb.png post-1217-1234378922_thumb.png

post-1217-1234378945_thumb.png

And that is the start of the medium-term Atlantic influence throughout the weekend into next week...

One last chart - tomorrow 15h00 snow risk and snow level:

post-1217-1234379029_thumb.png

For those of us wanting snow - one to savour for a week or so - before things change again :lol:

Posted

Great post Shugs

Marginal affair again I see, East doing better than West maybe.

I also like how you use a locomotive term!

"Shunts"

Edited by Delta X-Ray

Posted

As ever with these affairs - my experience suggests the models are usually over-keen to ramp up the west-east flow and the displacement of the cold air. Might see something different from tomorrow's 06z...

Posted

Nice post Shuggee, and I agree there's no telling until it happens

local forecast here is for rain/sleet/snow (which for here is a pretty safe bet as always :D !)

we had a few snow showers earlier this evening and I'm watching closely what Coastie is reporting as that is usually indicative of what we can expect especially if thon win' goes a bit more northerly..

I've seen the South of the Uk have a high pressure mild westerly with the northerly stream in full flow up here but only affecting the extreme North (aka, the isles!), but with a tiny bit of an easterly influence can make a huge difference to us here.. and more so you, I think!

Posted

Nothing much to report in this part of the world

Had hoped for more cold and perhaps some snow, but temps are just above freezing and sky is clear.

Posted

Is there a different kind of ice about nowadays?

I only ask because the Meto have updated from a watch to warning.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...t_warnings.html

Get this, they had various regions of Scotland under a watch earlier (when clearly temps are gonna fall moreso this far north in this set up) yet they see fit to issue a warning further south. I really don't get it. For fact here is the chart with warnings.

post-8552-1234393942_thumb.jpg

Posted
Nothing much to report in this part of the world

Had hoped for more cold and perhaps some snow, but temps are just above freezing and sky is clear.

Yes, I think the winds are just that little bit too high (11mph here) for a deep frost tonight. The nights that were really cold were pretty still.

Is there a different kind of ice about nowadays?

I only ask because the Meto have updated from a watch to warning.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...t_warnings.html

Get this, they had various regions of Scotland under a watch earlier (when clearly temps are gonna fall moreso this far north in this set up) yet they see fit to issue a warning further south. I really don't get it. For fact here is the chart with warnings.

Maybe it's because they have no salt left down there to treat the roads?

Maybe it's because there are more people down there - they did have quite a few accidents today on icy roads?

Maybe it's because they had rain earlier and we had a bit of snow - frozen water being more of a problem than frozen snow?

I have given up trying to understand the reasoning behind some of the Meto warnings.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Persistent moderate/heavy snow in Sneckie just now... :D

Mustn't blink though? :D

Posted

finally the snow is falling in Perth. came on 30 minutes ago so a nice dusting now.

Guest Shetland Coastie

Exceptionally heavy snow here in Shetland at the moment. Couple of inches on top of what was already lying and its still coming down. Visibility down to tens of yards. Severe weather warning out for all of Scotland :D

Posted
Moderate snow here also, wonder how long it will last?

An inch has fallen already in the last half hour so it looks like this cold spell is going to end with a bang!!!

Guest Shetland Coastie

Still throwing it down here. Very little wind so its slow moving and giving us a right dumping! Without a doubt the heaviest snow here since the huge dumping in Dec 95.

:pardon:

Check out the webcam at Lunna House (about 20 miles north of me)

Lunna webcam

Edited by Shetland Coastie

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

kids woke me 30 mins ago mum its snowing lol... quite heavy.

Posted

Really heavy snow here, another day of work for me!!!!! :pardon:

Seems to be showing no sign of stopping, think and heavy flakes on top of the snow we already had lying!

Posted

Snowing heavy hereand the radar is lit up like a Christmas tree! God did not expect this to happen this is what happens when you take a night off from snow watching"