Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&w Yorkshire, Northern & Ne England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Just got home from work, and there's more snow here than in Consett which makes a change.

I would say around 3 inches of new snow here, possibly around 2 in Consett. Light rain and drizzle now but still pretty thick snow on the ground.

Earlier in Consett the buses and taxis were off, and apparently there were a few crashes.

Good to see after a break from the cold it could well be back by next weekend :D

Posted
I don't believe it!!!!! I've just opened another thread, and it's started raining :D

Looks like the milder sector is starting to make an impact then Brian, been drizzling here for over an hour now although certainly no real thaw here at the moment.

This is the problem for those further South, for us further North the cold air was over us already and never budged until late this afternoon hence the band was mostly of snow until its backward edge where it turned back too rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Raining here too :D methinks it will be icy in the morning.

bb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Just looked at the temps on here...

http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather...p.jsp?client=19

Totally different to normal, the lower temps are on lower ground and close to the coast.

Hedworth Lane - +0.5C, just a few miles from the coast and close to sea level.

Tow Law - +2.5C, Inland and high up, probably over 300m

Possibly to do with these T850 temps...

post-3392-1234462690_thumb.png

GS, how much have you got down there? Height doesn't seem to have been an issue from what i've seen.

Posted

I'm delighted you people more to the NE have had a good snowy day. I was beginning to feel (slightly) guilty about posting chirpy messages saying how much snow was falling here. I hope you enjoyed every minute of it, and that it's not the last you'll see this winter. Back to model-watching for the next couple of days....

Posted
Raining here too :clap: methinks it will be icy in the morning.

bb

ive got to drive up to headingley tomorrow morning around 7am, not going to enjoy that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its stopped raining here with a nice 1-2cm covering, looks like its all going to stay put !!!!!

This is soooooo ironic! now heavier ppn is heading for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but its going to be rain LOL double kick in the face!

Posted
ive got to drive up to headingley tomorrow morning around 7am, not going to enjoy that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its stopped raining here with a nice 1-2cm covering, looks like its all going to stay put !!!!!

This is soooooo ironic! now heavier ppn is heading for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but its going to be rain LOL double kick in the face!

rain.

Posted
I don't believe it!!!!! I've just opened another thread, and it's started to rain :clap:

How much lying snow have you got mate? 3 inches here atm

Posted

I came home to find just over an inch of lying snow and snow lying on the A64 - but now its absolutely chuck it down with rain :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I have about 4-5 inches here at home in the shadow of the moors. Must be a fair bit more higher up. Only 80m asl here. The town is completely gridlocked. Walked 40 minutes home and cars heading into town didn't move once. Saw numerous abandoned vehicles and one really badly smashed car about 2 feet shorter on the drivers side than it should have been. Looked like a motorway speed crash rather than a 30mph speed limit. I can only assume it was flying out of control down a hilly side street and crashed head on with a car coming the other way.

Still snowing now, but it is really fine and on the verge of turning to sleet I think. Lots of reports that the A171, A170 and A165 are almost impassible, and the A64 is pretty dangerous at near Castle Howard, which is pretty much every route out of Scarborough having major difficulties at the moment.. It isn't going to be fun at all driving around once all of this has frozen. Even the main roads are completely covered in snow. Would't be surprised if no grtting was happening at the moment due to the gridlocks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

non stop snow since 11am till around 1 hour ago wen it turned to rain, had around 6-7cm shame its all gona melt now, best snowfall of the winter so far and i had no idea it was coming :angry:

Posted
non stop snow since 11am till around 1 hour ago wen it turned to rain, had around 6-7cm shame its all gona melt now, best snowfall of the winter so far and i had no idea it was coming :D

glad you had your snow mate! :angry: , been light all day here, only 1-2cm but isnt melting, youve had same as what i had last thurs! :(

Posted
How much lying snow have you got mate? 3 inches here atm

I'd say about five - six inches mate. There are big drifts eveywhere too, including upto

my doorstep :angry: I had to go outside to scrape the Snow off my Sky dish, because I couldn't get

a signal

Posted

Yeah, we had approx 6-7cm at 4.30 when it turned to rain (was 5cm at 3.00 when I measured), and it hasn't stopped raining since. Nine straight hours of precipitation, 6 hours of it snow. Could have been a very good covering had it stayed snow.

Annoyingly, its still only 0.9º after 3 hours rain!

Posted
I'd say about five - six inches mate. There are big drifts eveywhere too, including upto

my doorstep :D I had to go outside to scrape the Snow off my Sky dish, because I couldn't get

a signal

sounds amazing haha, hope we have chance to see this again end of febuary into march, look at my signiture, what a febuary eh :D

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

my doorstep B) I had to go outside to scrape the Snow off my Sky dish, because I couldn't get

a signal

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING! :D

It snowed heavily for a while here giving just over an inch, but we were just too close to the warm sector and it was sleety and even rain by the end :D

And that's at 185m! Cannot believe York and V of Y have seen more! But anyway congrats Brian, I had more last week so it works out very fair :80:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

my doorstep :D I had to go outside to scrape the Snow off my Sky dish, because I couldn't get

a signal

I hope youi don't get offended Bri but... You are one lucky bugger you know that :D

Posted
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING! :D

It snowed heavily for a while here giving just over an inch, but we were just too close to the warm sector and it was sleety and even rain by the end :D

And that's at 185m! Cannot believe York and V of Y have seen more! But anyway congrats Brian, I had more last week so it works out very fair :80:

I hope youi don't get offended Bri but... You are one lucky bugger you know that B)

Thanks guys, I can't quite believe it myself. Aside from the rain this evening, today's

event has been much better than the one on monday 2nd Feb.

I've a couple more pics coming in a second. I wanted to show you before the rain washes it away

Posted

Its going to be very interesting here in the morning when all this freezes,as there has been drizzly rain falling for the last hour or so on top of the fresh snow,which in turn is lying on top of the "perma snow" underlayer.

I suppose what i'm saying is,its gonna be well skitey in the morning. :D

Posted

Hi, 10cm of lying snow, the drizzle has just about stopped. BBC York talking to people whohave been sitting in cars in Scarborough for 3 hours and going no here fast. It really was quite a sight earlier, the snow was like a fog, remarkable.