Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

March CET

Posted
Well, we are past the half way point in this short month so i thought that now would be an appropriate time to start the March CET thread.

While i will change my prediction on the 29th most likely, i am expecting March to be a wet month, with a very northerly first half, and a final CET of 5.8C, 0.5C below average.

I think it will be quite mild & settled - go for 6.2C

Posted
Perhaps you're just taking the p**s, Simon - that's within a whisker of the hottest (high summer) month ever recorded, July 2006!

But if on the other hand you just don't know what the CET av we're trying to guess consists of, have a look here http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/ , and here http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley...av_temperat.htm . Basically it's the month's average for the mean daily temperature - i.e. halfway between the day's minimum and maximum - for the central area of England.

22.6C for me please B)

Errm............ 4.7C

Edited by Chassisbot

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

7.1ºC this month. So far this year when I have gone above average it has been below and last month I went below and it will be above. ( I hope this incorrect guessing trend continues).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

im not going to guess but a march similar to 1998 would suit me fine..dont remember the cet of hand but was pleasently mild and dry i think.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

10C CET for March 2009

Posted
The chance of that happening is about 0.1%. You need deep cold from the East the enitre month for that to happen lol.

That is increasingly becoming a possibility

Im going for 3.9c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

March is always a difficult call with winter and spring pulling in opposite directions!

So my call will be 6.6 C please.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
The chance of that happening is about 0.1%. You need deep cold from the East the enitre month for that to happen lol.

That is increasingly becoming a possibility

Um...it is?? We must be looking at different charts. :D

Ossie

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

6.2 for me, thanks

Posted

Sticking with my thought that March won't buck the trend of recent months and therefore a near average 6.5 degrees finishing mark. A cold first half, becoming milder for a time around the equinox then a cold end. Really want to go below average but been told a lesson from this February which really has been a month of two halves - however, very good chance of a below month with the cold air to the north and east..

Posted

I'm going for a fairly mild month overall with a few cold snaps thrown in the mix. My final guess is

7.0C

:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

6.1c por favor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Not committing to a specific revised figure yet- will do in the next couple of days- but I'm almost certain that my original figure of 7.4 will be revised downwards. It looks like ending up as quite a similar March to last year's at the moment.

March 1998 btw was statistically a dull wet month, though this hides some major variations. The first third was outstandingly wet with average sunshine, mild in the south, cold and snowy in the north. Most of the rest of the month was dry and mild with anticyclonic gloom and thus sunshine was well below average except in eastern Scotland.

March 1997, away from a limited portion of north-western Britain, was a better example of a mild dry sunny March, with the last few days being particularly sunny for most.

Posted

I would love a repeat of March 2003, that was my ideal month as far as March goes. There is something I love about the early spring sunshine and warmth. I am going to go for 7.3C this year.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

3.2C: Timbo

3.5C: Tricky Dicky

4.5C: Snowray

4.6C: Mackerel Sky

4.7C: Adam Jones 416

4.9C: Kentish Man

4.9C: 10123

4.9C: Shuggee

5.0C: Norrance

5.1C: Barnet Blizzard

5.2C: Fozfoster

5.3C: Dartmoor Mat

5.4C: Caspar Jack

5.5C: Memories of 63

5.5C: Snowmaiden

5.6C: Nick 2702

5.6C: Steve B

5.7C: Morfius

5.8C: Summer Blizzard

5.8C: The Pit

5.8C: Snowingman

5.9C: Russ L.F.C.

5.9C: Stephen Prudence

6.0C: Gavin P

6.0C: Jackone

6.1C: Tomb Raider Legend

6.2C: Cold in cromarty

6.5C: High Ground Birningham

6.5C: James M

6.7C: Rain Rain Rain

6.9C: Polar Gael

7.2C: Tony H

7.3C: Paul B

7.4C: Thundery Wintry Showers

7.8C: Optimus Prime

8.0C: Snow Storm 1

8.0C: Mike W

19.6C: Simon Mcfc

For those unaware..

The 1971-2000 average for March CET is 6.3C..

The coldest March on record occured in 1785, with a CET of 1.2C, 5.1C below todays average.

The hottest March on record occured in 1957 with a CET of 9.2C, 2.9C above todays average.

Have done all of first three pages, will complete list later.