Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Risk Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.
the bbc forecasts begs to differ, and suggests a chance of longer spells of rain.

Dan corbett said a risk of hail and thunder in midlands, could be something interesting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just got home from a day doing deliveries, and there was (and still is) a deluge from that stationary clump of showers just to the west of Brum....There's a lot of surface water on the M5/M6 interchange giving very poor driving conditions and 3 mile tailbacks north and southbound...There's no sferic activity (at least not according to strikestar) but, believe me, having been working near Wednesbury/Wallsall all afternoon, its an absolute downpour, and the NW radar does it no justice at all!

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

We have had a couple of sharp showers here in Walsall over the past couple of hours but no sferics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Just got home from a day doing deliveries, and there was (and still is) a deluge from that stationary clump of showers just to the west of Brum....There's a lot of surface water on the M5/M6 interchange giving very poor driving conditions and 3 mile tailbacks north and southbound...There's no sferic activity (at least not according to strikestar) but, believe me, having been working near Wednesbury/Wallsall all afternoon, its an absolute downpour, and the NW radar does it no justice at all!

Didnt have a downpour but had quite a long heavy shower and was heavier than the NW Radar suggested imo-usually its the opposite to this!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well I am surprised - on the way home, sky turned very stormy looking, with what looked like rain streaks coming from the clouds. Very surprised to get home and see the radar returning nothing!

Even planes seemed to going around it...confusing!

Posted
sferic appearing towards London

That doesn't surprise me - it did look increasingly thundery on the way home, and still does from here now. Though v little on radar...help!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Now I've chance to have a cup o'tea, spark up a cigarette and look at the radar, convection is rapidly occuring to the West and NW of Birmingham, heavy showers are popping up, some localised downpours in the offing for the next couple of hours.....surprising (due to lack of CAPE, heating and lift) but interesting all the same...A surprise storm for me?...who knows!

1755hrs radar..

post-4149-1244569340_thumb.png

and 30 minutes later radar...

post-4149-1244569410_thumb.png

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Now I've chance to have a cup o'tea, spark up a cigarette and look at the radar, convection is rapidly occuring to the West and NW of Birmingham, heavy showers are popping up, some localised downpours in the offing for the next couple of hours.....surprising (due to lack of CAPE, heating and lift) but interesting all the same...A surprise storm for me?...who knows!

1755hrs radar..

post-4149-1244569340_thumb.png

and 30 minutes later radar...

post-4149-1244569410_thumb.png

Indeed, quite interesting things going on right now. I dont think there will be storms but i think more heavy showers or maybe downpours could pop up to the NW of Birmingham and head the same way they are now.

Posted
the bbc forecasts begs to differ, and suggests a chance of longer spells of rain.

It was showing a front,now a trough under a very slack low,if the clouds come from the east then theres half a chance of something more interesting here,a warm up we really want.

http://www.meteociel.com/ukmo/fax/fax24s.gif

Posted

The NMM Model shows good enough Cape and LI over the West Midlands and Wales. Quite a lot of Showers too. TT Index very good, pretty much no convective inhibitation and fairly good Lapse rates. Perhaps a convergence zone over the East Wales, West Midlands border for a time. :shok:

Posted

What about for the South East?

That was rhetorical btw - death valley is more likely to encounter precipitation of interesting amounts than us! :shok:

Posted
Those are the cells I've been watching for most of the day but they're just moderate showers really. Tomorrw could be an interesting one, fairly ok CAPE values which according to the BBC will be enough to develop some sharp showers come tomorrow afternoon, accompanied by hail and in good old BBC weather speak, "the odd rumble of thunder". :shok:

I beg to differ mate.....these arent moderate showers...The radar, for some unknown reason, is not doing the rainfall rates any justice at all...I just took a quick drive to J11 of the M6 and its torrential, and no exaggaration

Tomorrow has plenty of potential as you posted..I'll be 'darn sarf' tomorrow somewhere near St Albans, so will be monitoring things down there rather than the West Midlands :rofl:

Posted
Well I am surprised - on the way home, sky turned very stormy looking, with what looked like rain streaks coming from the clouds. Very surprised to get home and see the radar returning nothing!

Even planes seemed to going around it...confusing!

It is quite possible for showers to form then decay in between radar slides, even the 5 min NW ones.

Posted

Dan Corbett can get knotted with all his splashes of blue paint, if all he can offer me is 'drizzle' bubbling up in the heat of the day, lol...not that I am suffering storm withdrawal symptoms!

If my luck so far in 2009 carries into next year, there's going to be plenty of disappointed chasers looking at me with daggers :fool:

If I am however duly compensated for the way I am being smacked by mother nature, expect an F5 and couple of F4s/F3s :D

Edited by Harry

Posted
I think Darren Corbett said something about energy in the day may spark off some drizzle for the SE, so something to watch out for down there. :D

that's what the MetO forecast today wasn't it? :D:D

Ah well i don't mind the same stuff again :fool:

Posted

Dont forget, NATURE'S FURY, ITV1 in 30 mins!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
Dan Corbett can get knotted with all his splashes of blue paint, if all he can offer me is 'drizzle' bubbling up in the heat of the day, lol...not that I am suffering storm withdrawal symptoms!

If my luck so far in 2009 carries into next year, there's going to be plenty of disappointed chasers looking at me with daggers :fool:

If I am however duly compensated for the way I am being smacked by mother nature, expect an F5 and couple of F4s/F3s :D

Harry, how about you take a break from constantly looking and waiting for storms ... then maybe you will get less frustrated and then they may eventually come along!!That's what I do anyway ...

Keeping constant watch on the radar for the hope of a storm can lead to endless frustration.

Posted
Harry, how about you take a break from constantly looking and waiting for storms ... then maybe you will get less frustrated and then they may eventually come along!!That's what I do anyway ...

Keeping constant watch on the radar for the hope of a storm can lead to endless frustration.

Very true, Nick F. Nevertheless, in an average year I'd still be frustrated by now as May for as long as I can remember, has produced heavy showers and thunderstorms - at least one!

Posted

it looked thundery earlier, but now it just looks dull and its just rainy drizzle outside! :D

hope things r a bit more exciting for us tomorrow :fool:

Posted
Very true, Nick F. Nevertheless, in an average year I'd still be frustrated by now as May for as long as I can remember, has produced heavy showers and thunderstorms - at least one!

last year my first storm was 24th April - have not had one this year! :fool:

Posted

Tomorrow, looks like SE Wales across to SW Midlands maybe favoured for thunderstorms to develop along a convergence zone running NE out of the Lower Severn Valley. This will be dependant on cloud clearance however. Showers likely to break out elsewhere across Midlands and Sern England away from South Coast which will probably stay dry ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Thanks Nick.

Hopefully I will see my first storm of the year tommorow! :fool: But I've been saying this everytime and nothing happens lol. It will probably be the cloud cover that ruins it here tommorow.But who knows!