Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Risk Discussion

Posted
I think it all stems from the floods in 2007. They got that totally wrong and under estimated the amount of rain. Since then, any sign of a storm or rain in general, then the warnings go out.

Tax payer funded, responsible to the public and most peoples first call for general weather. 99% of the UK population won't even give a thought to a forecast that gives weather events that don't happen, unless it fails to predict extreme weather that takes life or property.

Part of the problem is that we have been looking at their output more critically than Joe Public and as hobbyists or enthusiasts, we do tend go a little deeper into other forecasts / data from other sources etc. I think Met O err on the side of caution (i.e. put it in even if it's a low risk) because they know the media would have a field day with them if they didn't notify the public of something that went badly. A few people on a weather forum aren't really their main concern, unfortunately! I blame the media B)

Posted

anything happening towards harwich, ipswich way ???,, nothing showing on radar but it looks night time black from here !!!

Posted
I am fed up.

Around September last year, I remember thinking how disappointing the year had been with respect to storms in the South East. I resigned myself to another 6 month wait, till the spring and then we are bound to get lots of activity.

Here we are in June 2009 and not one single flash or rumble worthy of note, here in Horsham.

It's starting to hurt. Every day, around the world, fantastic thunderstorms are occurring, but here in the UK I just keep getting older and more starved of the one thing that truly thrills me.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have children and responsibilities, I would have moved long ago, to a place where storms are so frequent, that the locals see them as an inconvenience.

When something does ever happen in the UK, the chasing can be quite ridiculous. I have lost storms in the past by becoming completely disorientated on tree lined roads through the countryside. Finding a place to view storms in parts of the South East countryside can be so frustrating. And the roads network is just hopeless if you have to chase during rush hours.

There ! I wish i felt better after that outburst, .....but I don't.

I know how you feel B)

so close to the East coast..AS ALWAYS....

still plenty of time yet.......this summer :(

that does look impressive over in euro

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

To be fair, since I got that off my chest, I have realised they were only 20-30 miles off - never knock improvement B)

Posted
To be fair, since I got that off my chest, I have realised they were only 20-30 miles off - never knock improvement :D

Thats the story so far for us in W Kent,they are always 20-30 miles off- in all directions :( ,the old meto should have rung us,i would have told em,you can put your warnings up pal, but statistically this year so far,look at your archives - they are going to be at least 20-30 miles from me ,your choice matey B)

Edited by TN9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Looks like we may get a thundery hot plume next week, fingers crossed!

Posted
Decent cell heading south towards Gloucs. It's passing me to my west atm and looks ok, fairly dark base, may intensify in the next hour.

Actually it's not that close to Gloucs and looks like it is disapating.

its not that great on radar mate at present...but who knows it might ignite B)

Posted
To be fair, since I got that off my chest, I have realised they were only 20-30 miles off - never knock improvement B)

The thing that gets me is if you click on the Site it "Still" has the Orange "BE PREPARED" Warning up even now at 440pm! :(

Be prepared for what - Extreme Drizzle or the Tube Strike - FFS! :D

Joke!

Posted
in all fairness Paul as I type this you have 1 minute left.so anything can happen in the next 60 secs B)

Oh yeah Silly Me did not see the Warning runs until 6pm. Better keep watching those skies with the 12c Heat down here.

Wonder if they could speak to someone down here using the String and Cup Method and observers around here might tell them they have as much chance of a Thunderstorm as Newcastle winning the Premiership next Season :(:D

Posted
Oh yeah Silly Me did not see the Warning runs until 6pm. Better keep watching those skies with the 12c Heat down here.

Wonder if they could speak to someone down here using the String and Cup Method and observers around here might tell them they have as much chance of a Thunderstorm as Newcastle winning the Premiership next Season :shok::rofl:

:lol: :lol:

Posted

Wonder if they could speak to someone down here using the String and Cup Method and observers around here might tell them they have as much chance of a Thunderstorm as Newcastle winning the Premiership next Season :shok::rofl:

i think to be fair though Paul ,what with health and safety and that,the string and cup method is a no go with the storms forecast,you know the rules,golf,kite flying,string and cup communications are a no no,as forecaster and observer are in danger of scorched ear,satellite and radar come in to there own in these situations :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A long way off but looing tasty for our area for storms next Monday. :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The sun is out here and has been for the two hours or so and as such there are some nice towers going up but no rain I think in the area. Perhaps that will change.

Posted

Breaking News -

A Farm house owner in New Romney, Kent, had a very lucky escape when his barn was hit by a rogue lightning bolt, believed to be from a storm some 50 miles away across Belgium. The barn, which caught fire and burned to the ground within minutes, was said to have been struck at 4:30pm Tuesday afternoon.

The farmer, Mr Lucky Mofo, remained surprisingly calm throughout the whole experience - "I was never in danger to be perfectly honest with you. I saw that the MetOffice had issued a 'Be Prepared' warning, so I took shelter in my car for the 4 hours, as I am not too keen on lightning. A bit annoying though that there was no more rain than drizzle in the air, or my barn might have been saved".

If you believe that, you'll believe anything :shok:

Edited by Harry

Posted

The bright echoes on the MO radar seem to be skirting round the SE rather than over land as the Beeb predicted this morning. Still, its only late afternoon, anything can happen now up till 9pm.

I love the storms in the late evening. Just as the daylight is waning, after a sweltering day, BANG it all kicks off. Admittedly its not a sweltering day but you never know guys!

Posted
The bright echoes on the MO radar seem to be skirting round the SE rather than over land as the Beeb predicted this morning. Still, its only late afternoon, anything can happen now up till 9pm.

I love the storms in the late evening. Just as the daylight is waning, after a sweltering day, BANG it all kicks off. Admittedly its not a sweltering day but you never know guys!

We do know, not going to happen :shok:

Well, having said that, I am looking rather anxiously on the MetO radar loop, which has a tiny speck of blue, turning green!

Wouldn't it be hilarious if it developed into a storm :rofl:

Posted
Breaking News -

If you believe that, you'll believe anything :D

:lol: :lol: nice one :lol:

We are sat under the centre of Low pressure, hence everything is going around us :shok: Brings back memories of 25th May? even the end of October when we sat here patiently waiting for that snow, and it stayed north of London because we were at the centre of the Low :rofl:

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
We do know, not going to happen :shok:

Well, having said that, I am looking rather anxiously on the MetO radar loop, which has a tiny speck of blue, turning green!

Wouldn't it be hilarious if it developed into a storm :rofl:

Sorry, lol, I just thought hmm thats not what was going to happen this morning. I really should read the last few pages of posts!

Keep the faith!

Posted

A very dry looking sky today even with quite a few TCU with dark bases passing overhead coming from the NE as it went quite dark and still is 90% cloudy did have 5 spots of rain from it lol.

Left a good deal of mamma from SC since nice to look at. :shok:

And at 12.5c nothing`s cooking.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Chance of some storms for the West Midlands tomorrow. Nothing too big and probably fairly short lived but a chance is a chance!

Posted
Chance of some storms for the West Midlands tomorrow. Nothing too big and probably fairly short lived but a chance is a chance!

the bbc forecasts begs to differ, and suggests a chance of longer spells of rain.