Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted

First big thunderstorm blew up just east of my locationaround 2.30 giving a pretty big downpour as well a nice thunderstorm...

However this thunderstorm that has just rolled through actually was borderline severe I'd imagine, esp a little to the north of my location in Essex and the NW radar shows very big returns indeed, with 200-250MM an hour returns, very likely enhanced by some fairly impressive hail.

Also of biggest interest of all, saw a funnel cloud form towards the back up of that rapidly developing thunderstorm, clear marked rotation with low level clouds and scud rotating into the funnel itself, sadly just didn't have time for the camera to come out!

That big thunderstorm still rumbling away to my N/NW, giving someone probably a very big lashing right now.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
Lol, you have a seperate cell that's developed after the 1 near oxford had. Still the cell that's about to visit me is growing outwards but also northwards, I think you'll be getting 2 :(

I think your right, cell is booming away to the NE now heading off towards bedford / northant border, but can here deep rumbles to my south and they sky is black over that way too :D

Posted
It's gone quite quiet in Devon now with fairly standard sunshine and showers... but I'm not complaining, there was a vicious 30-minute thunderstorm with torrential rain that hit Exeter full-on at 2:30pm, which is more than I expected. I would've been quite frustrated if I'd been up in Cleadon- and "quite" as opposed to "very" purely because I forecast what would happen on the north-east coast a few days in advance!

It looks like Norwich has had one hell of a storm- but I saw similar storms there last summer (and might do again when I return this summer), so again no complaints.

Convection should die away over the coming hours though.

Aye, spot on mate.

Just shows that personal experience matters as much as technical knowledge when forecasting where storms will hit and miss.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Excellent storm here in progress at Cranfield (nr Milton Keynes). Storm has built steadily over the last hour and significant lightning over the last 15 minutes. Very heavy rain. At yeast 3 rain cells visible and all is moving slowly East

Stewart

Posted

Just as i thought it was all over in Manchester, literally the last 15 mins on netw radar has seen 2 big showers go from nothing to red...... Just south of here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow
:D Today will have to go down as one of the weirdest days stormwise. How in the hell did the West Midlands escape most of the storms? I mean there was the odd one here and there but where were the big storms?

So the SW, SE East Midlands, EA, NE and NW gets some good storms but the West Midlands misses out. Something not right there. What surprises me is that the far SE was the one of the only regions forecast not to be affected by rain yet even THEY get some storms.

AND west of Newcastle aswell. Pathetic I tell you.

Yup, we had all the ingrediants here too. been hot here (24.C) we have had plent of sunshine, the the convection has been utter rubbish. Why? I have absolutly no idea.

Air must be too stable over us or something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
:D Today will have to go down as one of the weirdest days stormwise. How in the hell did the West Midlands escape most of the storms? I mean there was the odd one here and there but where were the big storms?

So the SW, SE East Midlands, EA, NE and NW gets some good storms but the West Midlands misses out. Something not right there. What surprises me is that the far SE was the one of the only regions forecast not to be affected by rain yet even THEY get some storms.

AND west of Newcastle aswell. Pathetic I tell you.

I hate this so much. The snow this year is an example 50cm on the news equals to 2cm in reality.

We missed out by about 3 miles this afternoon. The East always gets it all. :(

Posted

Watching the radar to see what those cells heading over London do, I strongly suspect there is a convergence zone aloft nearby my location right now as East London/West Essex seems to have been a bit of a brewing spot for strong thunderstorms today.

Posted

1st rumble!!!

Posted
Excellent storm here in progress at Cranfield (nr Milton Keynes). Storm has built steadily over the last hour and significant lightning over the last 15 minutes. Very heavy rain. At yeast 3 rain cells visible and all is moving slowly East

Stewart

OMG............ My works office is based in Cranfield and was there today before i went out on call-outs........ How dissapointed am i!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Yup, we had all the ingrediants here too. been hot here (24.C) we have had plent of sunshine, the the convection has been utter rubbish. Why? I have absolutly no idea.

Air must be too stable over us or something.

The forecasts saying storms etc for here have been rubbish. I know its hard to predict storms but not a sauasge at all here. I was expecting at least a showwer here. Im so frustrated. :D:(:D:(

The Thunderstorms we have had so far this year are nothing compaed to what the lucky East have had today. I cant describe whats wrong with this location-nothing interesting ever happens. :(

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

South Essex storm still rumbling away to my East, developed over me and gave incredible frequent close lightning, almost every 5 seconds at one point.

Very black to my West yet again, certainly something developing there too.

Incredible conditions today, moisture, warth and plenty of shear, storm structure have been very impressive with well separated cloud updraft bases and downdrafts, which is why we've had strong storms today, lightning every 5 seconds at some points in both storms, and lots of Cgs, some of them definately within half a mile.

Edited by jshaw

Its over South Manchester. Had 3 rumbles from it. Can't tell if its gonna hit me though as im in North Manchester!

The Netweather radar just showed a cell develop out of nothing to my west - it must've been that :D

I shall keep an eye out for it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow
I hate this so much. The snow this year is an example 50cm on the news equals to 2cm in reality.

We missed out by about 3 miles this afternoon. The East always gets it all. :D

Yup Blizzards, Maybe we should move somwhere in the SE mate

Kain

Posted

Theres been storms to the North/South and East of me today and although ive seen some forks 7 miles down the valley just a hour ago we've had nothing here near Buxton. The heating from daytime temps should be enough to kick this storm to my West into something decent, otherwise today will go down as one of the disappointments ive had in a few years. Everything is in place for a decent storm, lets see if it delivers in the next hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.
Right now im so frustrated

Me 2! Bone dry here all day with plenty of sunshine - not what i wanted!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

QUESTION: Looking at radars, it seems nothing is likely for South Bucks, my area. Anyone got any other ideas?? As I've seen storm sells develop directly above me today move to the east towards West London, I've seen 1 or 2 shower clouds to the south 1 hour or so ago and now there's storms to the west and North west - saw a huge anvil about 30 minutes - 1 hour ago.