Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Today has been the opposite for the two regions.

West Midlands-Forecast Thunderstorms=Dont Happen

South East- No Forecast Thunderstorms=They do happen.

Im gutted.

Game over. :mellow::doh::D

I cant wait till today is over-the faster todays awful memories will go.

I wouldnt say west midlands were forecast them, i knew all along that it was an eastern thing, i told ppl today no storms only for eastern areas, metcheck warning say as well mainly eastern areas/ NE england, a similar thing location wise to snow showers in winter

Sadly i think you have your wires crossed somewhere, the west midlands was never forcast to take the brunt of any thundery weather. Heavy possibly! thundery showers in the morning would push south eastwards throughout the day. Emphasis on possibly. The west midlands was just the spawning ground today, lunchtime onwards yes you had a large pool of CAPE, but as the troughs moved away eastwards there's nothing to distabalise the airmass, hence why you haven't had any storms. Anything truely thundery was correctly forcast the east midlands and later in the day east anglia have taken the brunt as forcast.

Exactly! One reason why the MetO warnings only covered central and eastern areas yesterday :mellow:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
Sadly i think you have your wires crossed somewhere, the west midlands was never forcast to take the brunt of any thundery weather. Heavy possibly! thundery showers in the morning would push south eastwards throughout the day. Emphasis on possibly. The west midlands was just the spawning ground today, lunchtime onwards yes you had a large pool of CAPE, but as the troughs moved away eastwards there's nothing to distabalise the airmass, hence why you haven't had any storms. Anything truely thundery was correctly forcast the east midlands and later in the day east anglia have taken the brunt as forcast.

We were still forecast a good few thundery showers-Not NOTHING. :mellow:

Posted
Today has been the opposite for the two regions.

West Midlands-Forecast Thunderstorms=Dont Happen

South East- No Forecast Thunderstorms=They do happen.

Im gutted.

Game over. :mellow::doh::D

I cant wait till today is over-the faster todays awful memories will go.

Did you see this post? Seems fairly self-evident that the main risk area was always going to be E Anglia, with everyone else on the margins. I think I made the same point yesterday, too.

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted
whaaaat? :mellow:

yep pretty much done the drains, still very dark but rain easing though

Posted

Big bolt right now just made the lights flicker so can only assume it hit a power cable.

Anyway as others have said the tail end of the storm that blew up over East London still not totally left West Essex and seems to be backbuilding a lot, probably as result again of the convergence.

Also plenty of cells forming upwind which will travel towards this location!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As I said earlier- convective precipitation is usually hit and miss by definition, therefore even in areas which get affected by showers and don't have any neutralising coastal influences, some places will stay dry while others will see one shower after another. Perhaps it hurts more because these kinds of days with continental-style convective storms are quite rare events in the UK so there's a feeling of having missed one's chance- but chance of thundery showers means just that.

And yes, for that matter, it happens on the continent as well. I spent a week in the Dordogne in July 2006 and there were showers and thunderstorms across the region on nearly every day, yet I didn't catch a single shower.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
Wow, an extremely close CG near my house, insane!!!

Power temporarily went down! :doh:

That was meant for my house, you stole it. Give it back at once :mellow:

Posted
The storm over south Manchester looks to be moving very slowly indeed!

The storm in Manchester is over STocKport. Its HUGE. I am in Stretford and i reckon it missed us by 5 miles. Can hear real deep long rumbles from it.

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
What direction is the storm moving in over Manchester?

At a guess, northwards - seems to be heading towards Manchester Airport away from us... Lots of little rumbles and a couple of loud ones here in East Cheshire.

Posted
absolutley chucking it down thunder lightening the works

Think I am hearing the rumbles of your storm. No lightening seen yet, and only light rain, but boy, there have been a few loud rumbles!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Report from North Suffolk: After a beautifully sunny and hot afternoon, the clouds have been building and it is now so dark I have had to put the lights on. Increasing rumbles of thunder and the wind is starting to pick up.

Edit: Lights now flickering alarmingly.

Edited by Soaring Hawk

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Large anvil again to the north west , i tell ya essex way and upto southend must be loving these storms today

Posted
The storm over south Manchester looks to be moving very slowly indeed!

It took me about 5 minutes to determine a direction! Seems to be building in size... can you send it back our way please? :mellow:

Posted
yep pretty much done the drains, still very dark but rain easing though

Ahh my old stomping ground. I'll take it that London Rd has become a pond again!

At a guess, northwards - seems to be heading towards Manchester Airport away from us... Lots of little rumbles and a couple of loud ones here in East Cheshire.

It may have expanded northwards but it's heading eastwards :mellow:

Posted

The cell over Manchester, does it look like it might possibly come NEwards towards the Humber?

Posted

Huge cell to my east, distant rumbles of thunder heard and one very brave 757 pilot who flew very slow. v.dark base with a brilliant white top. I think it's heading over this way.

It's so close i have to look straight up to see the tops. Anyone in my area toward underneath it?

Posted

So it doesnt seem like the storm over Manchester was predicted. Does that mean there could still be a chance for a lot of us tonight?