Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Coast

Posted

A fairly benign day today after all the fun and games of yesterday with all the big websites quiet and no current forecasts / models for storms or electrical activity. GFS shows some pale green down the East side of the country but nothing to get too excited about.

I guess the next batch of interest is from Thursday onwards and initially looks to be effecting the Northern part of the country up into Scotland at this early stage.

I only missed out on joining in with it yesterday by about 70 miles, the South-East coasts time is gonna come! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I've been catching up with all the posted footage from yesterday...Fantastic stuff, a big thumbs up to everyone who has contributed! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Good to see a video from Norwich- to get a taste of what I missed out on! In truth, though, while the electrical storm over Norwich was intense and prolonged it doesn't look as if the rain/hail ever got as intense as it did in Exeter yesterday- the intense stuff was further S and W within East Anglia.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
I've posted up some of the photos and vid-caps I took yesterday, please take a look.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/dupplawt/Thu...587672133181730

Funnel cloud?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
I definitely thought so, I saw rapid rotation on that 'funnel', but I'm not expert. It lasted a few minutes before dispersing.

A few funnel clouds reported yesterday. Just shows how violent some of those storms were

Edited by SteveB

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
A fairly benign day today after all the fun and games of yesterday with all the big websites quiet and no current forecasts / models for storms or electrical activity. GFS shows some pale green down the East side of the country but nothing to get too excited about.

I guess the next batch of interest is from Thursday onwards and initially looks to be effecting the Northern part of the country up into Scotland at this early stage.

I only missed out on joining in with it yesterday by about 70 miles, the South-East coasts time is gonna come! :p

2007 was a great summer for storms for south kent and east sussex. There is plenty of time for things to change in our favour. As you say, our time will come! :unsure:

Posted

Still waiting to experience a storm, despite breeding some beasts :unsure: Still some convection going on here this morning.

Posted
Funnel cloud recorded over Falkirk, Scotland around 13:09 today <_<

no

13:09 15th June 2009

:rolleyes::closedeyes:

Posted

Sorry, not so much convective discussion but for anyone interested on the BBC weather website, there is some video, interviews and information on yesterdays storms, or severe storms as the BBC calls them.

Posted
Sorry, not so much convective discussion but for anyone interested on the BBC weather website, there is some video, interviews and information on yesterdays storms, or severe storms as the BBC calls them.

cheers Dave, shall take a look <_<

no

13:09 15th June 2009

:rolleyes::closedeyes:

I just had a quick word with the person who filmed it, and they've changed the date now :blush:

Posted
Should the storms be classed as 'Severe'? I mean if frequent lightning and hailstorms are severe then I've seen many severe thunderstorms. I think if the storms yesterday had strong gusts of wind, say 30-40mph within the storm then that would be severe, otherwise they're just generally intense thunderstorms.

Saying that though, any storm which produced a tornado or funnel is severe but I'm just referring to the majority of the storms yesterday.

Yeah, I think it is probably fair to class them as severe, by UK standards anyway, there was a tornado as I understand it in and some of that hail was probably over 20mm

Posted
Should the storms be classed as 'Severe'? I mean if frequent lightning and hailstorms are severe then I've seen many severe thunderstorms. I think if the storms yesterday had strong gusts of wind, say 30-40mph within the storm then that would be severe, otherwise they're just generally intense thunderstorms.

Saying that though, any storm which produced a tornado or funnel is severe but I'm just referring to the majority of the storms yesterday.

I've talked about this before weather but all it does is kick up a fuss by the minority of the forum :closedeyes: . A severe storm to me is one that causes numorus peoples lives to be lost and or alot of damage!. Compare our storms to the us for example , they probably laugh at us and our severe storms. :rolleyes:

Posted
I've talked about this before weather but all it does is kick up a fuss by the minority of the forum :closedeyes: . A severe storm to me is one that causes numorus peoples lives to be lost and or alot of damage!. Compare our storms to the us for example , they probably laugh at us and our severe storms. :rolleyes:

The official line on severe thunderstorms in the UK is one or more of the following,

A tornado or waterspout

Hail of 20mm in diameter or more

Wind gusts of 55mph or more.

But you are right, our 'severe' thunderstorms are typically comparativly unsevere, especially compared to the United States.

Posted

Myself i saw what could be classed as severe but many years ago... It was the ONLY storm i've seen down this way which showed up as purple on the rain radar . It also brought down two fence panels and my garden table was thrown across the garden. A tornado was reported in the area and the lightning lasted for more than 4hrs!

Now that i believe was severe not these weak farts the met class as severe lol

Posted

This south east corner was not under the warning , however not all of kent got a storm so that was touch and go :closedeyes:

Posted

Rather large cumulus clouds here , its caused it to cloud over booooo :closedeyes:

Posted

Some pretty impressive towering large cumulus to my north, on it's way to being cumulonimbus if it carries on growing, already got some scud underneath. Dark bases, looks like it could drop a funnel any minute (he hopes) :)

Seems to be developing along a convergence zone which spans the whole southern counties

Edit: doesn't look quite as threatening in these photos as it does in real life <_<

post-8218-1245163095_thumb.jpg

post-8218-1245163123_thumb.jpg

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Lookeast tonight at 18:30 guys. Im on there talking about my chase with my pictures. Please accept my apologese over the state of me, as me and 11 friends were on a stag do in Magaluf all weekend and I still look ruined. Lol

Seasons

Posted
Myself i saw what could be classed as severe but many years ago... It was the ONLY storm i've seen down this way which showed up as purple on the rain radar . It also brought down two fence panels and my garden table was thrown across the garden. A tornado was reported in the area and the lightning lasted for more than 4hrs!

Now that i believe was severe not these weak farts the met class as severe lol

1995 was the last time I experienced a storm in the UK that I would call, "severe" and it would have been so even by Mediterranean standards. Green sky on approach, average of 2 lightning strikes in visible range per second, very strong winds, very heavy rain and hail and although I did not see any funnel clouds generated it would not surprise me if there had been given its intensity.

Back to today I'm hoping a local storm will pop up before the sun goes down as the conditions here seem right for it, the hills in the area seem to be assisting in the convection which is building some beefy looking cumulus clouds, though most of the bigger ones seem to have a mid altitude base at the moment.

Even so this could cause a night time light show once it goes dark just without thunder.

(Been a while since I've seen one of those come to think.)