Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heatwave

Posted

Yesterdays max temp here was 23c and today it's 26c. I wonder what tomorrow will bring :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Not made it to 25c yet - still not in heatwave category yet although it feels it! Office is roasting! A cold beer later would be great.

Same here Humidwave certainly and not a heatwave for us. So far.

Posted
Not made it to 25c yet - still not in heatwave category yet although it feels it! Office is roasting! A cold beer later would be great.

Made it to 28.6c here, shame its just cloudy. An uncomfortable night on the way then, so far the nights have not been to bad. But I'm guessing tonights going to be bad :lol:

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Made it to 28.6c here, shame its just cloudy. An uncomfortable night on the way then, so far the nights have not been to bad. But I'm guessing tonights going to be bad :lol:

Humidex is impressive 30.6C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Finally made it to 25.3c - don't think we'll make 26c now with so much cloud aroud and almost past thermal peak of the day.

Feels boiling though - a very warm night ahead.

Posted

news.sky.com

Some Tube passengers are getting hot under the collar as temperatures in the tunnels hit 32C.

"You just have to take a deep breath and count down the stations," said Ian Allen. "It's really uncomfortable but what choice do you have?" But other commuters, armed with water bottles, are making the most of the weather. "We only have a few hot days every year, so why can't we just enjoy it? It won't last that long," said Sally Stewart, on her way to work.

Businesses in west London where the temperatures have soared to 29C have also been feeling the effects. Tony Irving, who runs a busy café, said: "I don't think we'll be selling much hot food today, but our drinks and ice creams should fly off the shelves." One shopper even admitted to seeking sanctuary in a frozen food shop, saying: "It's lovely and cool here. Shame we can't spend all day here."

Forecasters predict the heatwave will continue for the rest of the week in some areas of the country.

Where's the 'Phew What A Scorcher' headlines when you need them? :lol:

Posted

Yep. South Derbyshire certainly feels like a sauna at the moment.

Thankfully, the ground floor where my office is, is cooler than outside. But have got the patio doors open to let what ever breeze there is inside. Occasinly feels quite 'warm' rather than humid when that happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Farnborough on 29° and Heathrow is on 30°

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

TSHW Index at a local station (Selsleyweather.co.uk):

35.0 °C at 13:34!!!

Posted

I think the temp is down here by a couple of degrees. When I left work at 1pm it was 26c, yesterday it was 28c and today felt a little less oppressive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

26.3c peak by looks of things - now very cloudy so not much chance of temps dropping tonight!

Posted

I must admit although I initially disagreed with those who suggested there was no heatwave outside the South East, I now realise that this spell has been a big disappointment in my area. It seemed we would reach at least 28C today or yesterday but neither day has really delivered. Yesterday the cloud arrived just as temperatures were heading towards the high 20s- we reached 26C by about 1pm but then the cloud arrived and the temperature actually dropped. Today there has been way too much cloud around all day and we've maxed out at 25C. Not heatwave standard by any means. One thing I would say is that the combination of temperatures in the mid 20s, with cloud and very high humidity is extrememly unusual in this part of the world so it has certainly been interesting.

I'm now not looking forward to the weather cooling off over the weekend and the dreaded word 'fresher' appearing on the weather forecast. It has to be the word I hate most in all weather terminology! I would quite happily take this warmth and humidity every day of the summer, it's lovely!

Edited by Scorcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Funny how the the media call it a 'serious' heatwave.. It is hardly serious, it is only a weak heatwave at best.

Posted

Does anybody know if this weather will make a return to our shores or is this it for our summer.

I have realy enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next lot. I don't mind not having the storms even though they are the best part of a breakdown.

Posted
Does anybody know if this weather will make a return to our shores or is this it for our summer.

I have realy enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next lot. I don't mind not having the storms even though they are the best part of a breakdown.

It looks like we will probably get another hot spell, the more knowledgable members of the forum have suggested the latter part of July though, so we may have to wait a while. I just hope we just don't get too many northerly or north westerly winds in the meantime, I dislike 'freshness' in mid summer and these wind directions bring exactly that. I would take south-westerlies over winds with a northerly component any day, although north-easterlies can be pleasant at this time of year.

Posted

Does anyone know if the West Midlands will get any sunshine tommorow? its been awfully grey today until around now which is to late to catch the sun.

Posted

Reached 28C here according to our official weather station which is 20 miles away stuck in the countryside. Looking at an unofficial weather station which is centred in Peterboough and we recorded 30.33C.

Either way another very hot day and this increase of 2C sounds about right considering the urban heating effect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It's sods law that the heatwave would end on the last day of the school term and the fresher conditions arrive in time for the holidays for me but ho hum. If it's going to be overcast and humid though like this which is just oppressive and annoying, then I'm all for fresh air clearer skies and temperatures around 23-24C. It's much better tanning weather than this.

Posted

Very disappointing today- rain on and off but still no thunder, hardly saw the sun till about an hour ago. Maxed about 26 but as Scorcher said this combination of cloudy, damp conditions with temps in the mid-to high 20s yet no thunder seems really unusual in Britain. It's what I'd expect in summer in somewhere like the US Deep South or southern China.

Posted

Well I guess we've just scraped a two day heatwave here: Monday 17.8-30.0; Tuesday 16.6-30.1. I believe the crieria for the southeast are a minimum of 16 followed by a maximum of 30.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Personally, if all other things were equal I would prefer "fresh" to sticky, no question.

But the problem in the UK is that all other things are not equal- "fresh" weather in summer often comes accompanied by chilly westerly or northerly winds, extensive cloud cover, the odd bit of sun and the odd bit of rain (and some call it "sunshine and showers"- I beg to differ!). In the meantime heat and humidity is often associated with imports of more continental-style weather with sunshine and convective outbreaks. Thus I find myself preferring the heat and humidity, entirely because of the external factors!

This spell has been splendid in Exeter, but that may be partly because the wind was often off the sea in a peripheral coastal location- temperatures have been in the comfortable 22-24C range. In the urban parts of the inland South East, notably central London, I would've found it too hot, due to the combination of poor air quality and humidity as well as heat.

This heatwave has been remarkable for duration rather than intensity. Temperatures have been substantially above the average for a week and look set to remain that way for the next few days. It has also, however, been remarkable for how persistent the low cloud has been near the North Sea coasts. When reflecting upon my latest north England forecast I thought I might have overdone the forecast of constant low cloud near the north-east coast of England, but if anything it appears that I contrived to under-do it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)
It's sods law that the heatwave would end on the last day of the school term and the fresher conditions arrive in time for the holidays for me but ho hum. If it's going to be overcast and humid though like this which is just oppressive and annoying, then I'm all for fresh air clearer skies and temperatures around 23-24C. It's much better tanning weather than this.

Ha I have to agree with you there :rolleyes: I finish school on Friday as well and this would have been perfect in a weeks time, but I'm not complaining :lol:

Edited by robthefool

Posted

Been quite hazy/cloudy all day but its still managed to reach 24.9c today.

I would hold out hope we may reach what i'd class as heatwave values for here (27c) but i think we may have temps in the mid twenties till friday maybe, which is what normally happens here.

Still this is a big improvement on last year, when the hottest temp was 24.8c.