Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heatwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
Dont have a computer on all day in this weather, really makes a difference! :D

i have mine on 24hours a day 7days a week but then cooling for my computer is just as important than cooling for me lol.

although i will say i am doing my bit for my enviroment as my power supply has very low power intake.

but i admit im feeling more and more drained each day few more days of heat and hopefully a breakdown with a bang. :D

Posted

Forecast seems to have changed somewhat today, after reaching 28c yesterday, temps are 3/4c down on for the rest of the week on what they were predicted to be yesterday.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

This the coolest heatwave I can recall ever. When is going too start ????

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Most SE readings are about a degree down on yesterday with Charlwood so far on top at 10.00am with 24.9C

Posted

My garden sensor just hit 27c, so it's probably actually around 25c here officially. Yesterday it did the same it rushed to 27-28c by lunchtime but hardly moved for the rest of the day.

Posted

The media are loving it!

An official heatwave is likely to be declared in Britain today, with temperatures in the south likely to hit 33C (91.4F) later this week. If officials raise the threat level from amber to red, measures including putting social services and hospitals on alert for a wave of casualties of scorching days and sleepless nights will come in to force. Temperatures on the outskirts of London hit 30C yesterday, remained in the low 20s overnight in some areas and are expected to top that today

www.guardian.co.uk

The Met Office recorded a temperature of 86.7F (30.4C) at St James’s Park in London, levels not seen since July 2006.

Emergency planners voiced fears of a summer of mass fatalities with more than 100 extra deaths from heatwave conditions expected this week alone.

www.telegraph.co.uk

Britain is turning into a pressure cooker as hot, steamy air and intense sunshine roasts the country and kicks off the first serious heatwave of summer.The Met Office expects a high of 30C (86F) today, but warns that later in the week it could climb to 32C (90F) or even higher. And there could be many more uncomfortable nights ahead as thick clouds help to trap the day’s heat and humidity, with night temperatures of 18C (64F).

www.timesonline.co.uk

Posted

Looks like 850hPa temperatures could creep up to 15C over the next few days. After that, if the EC is to be believed then a fairly bland period of weather coming up post-heat.

Posted

I wish I could see some heatwave. My local station recorded 0 hours of sunshine two days running, and there has been a near-constant fog for a week.

Posted
Looks like 850hPa temperatures could creep up to 15C over the next few days. After that, if the EC is to be believed then a fairly bland period of weather coming up post-heat.

Yes, the latest GFS run has it a whopping 15c here next Tuesday! :winky: but at least its warmed Saturday up again to 24c or so.

Posted

Not much sunshine here today but very warm and humid temperatures, currently 24.5C. A fair bit of cloud about but some sunny intervals. Even during a period of rain at 8am the temperature was 20C, and we had a minimum last night of 18C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
This the coolest heatwave I can recall ever. When is going too start ????

When it's 32c in your bedroom at 1am you know it's a heatwave! :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
When it's 32c in your bedroom at 1am you know it's a heatwave! :)

Turn your heating off then or your computers :)

Massive heatwave here just crept to 23.1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

A far cry from yesterday, its wet, cloudy and the temperature is 20.9C, well down on yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Yesterday at 1.00pm the temp at Heathrow was 29.6C. Today it is 29.7C. A pretty safe bet that 30C will be passed today.

Posted

pretty warm and muggy here; max so far is 28.5C

this is the highest since 27 July 2008; "008 had 3 days higher than today's current max

2007 just 1

2006 of course was one to remember; July had 17 days with a max>28.0C and 11(yes ELEVEN) above 30C

I now have had 10 consecutive days with day max > 21.0C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Not made it to 25c yet - still not in heatwave category yet although it feels it! Office is roasting! A cold beer later would be great.

Posted

Nice - keeping up with the neighbours!

Rdtlmett.gif

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Mostly cloudy and humid here in Swansea, not much of the sunshine which I believe is bathing London and much of the South and SE. But still very warm here, at a guess I'd say 26C this afternoon.

In the Model Output Discussion thread they're right now chatting about the possibility of a thundery and dramatic breakdown by the end of the week, then a significant cooldown.

I don't have a problem with cooler temps, and temps around 20C - 21C still seem very achievable even on Saturday and Sunday, but most of us sunshine, summer and warmth/heat lovers would want us to be spared a wet weekend. Showers at most hopefully, and not too much in the way of solid cloud cover either!

We will be in North East Devon (Exmoor) on Friday and Saturday, and I'm banking on any lower pressure heading further North.

Edited by William of Walworth