Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm/convective Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
Does anyone know whats happening in the Channel?

I am Located near the IOW and have noticed that a few showers have popped up in the last hour. Anything coming my way?

even if it is small? :lol:

I have checked all radars and lightning detectors all I can see ATM is small showers.

The GFS charts on Net-weather Data, seem to suggest that any activity will not reach me here or you there.

Maybe we will be lucky another time :lol:

Russ

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
I am of a different view - if you run both the storm risk and CAPE run for thursday, you can see the CAPE seems to feed in across from the SE. What is also noticeable, is there seems to be a more positive indication for imports...

Again, not getting my hopes up or anything, but it is more promising for us in the SE than the last run IMO :lol:

Rob McElwee on the BBC website/News 24 interactive was very hesitant to use the T word at 9pm this evening - 10.30pm however was a complete different ball game, mentioning widespread torrential rain and an abundance of thunder (not his exact works but to a similar effect).

The charts tomorrow will be scrutinised more than they have probably ever been on here, or at least for a good while :lol:

Penny Tranter and the ex BBc weather girl both say widespread SEVERE storms.......I just hope they get this right....

I think they have access to more complex charts and material than the GFS ect...

they did say NO storms for the Nr Stourbridge, West Midlands area though

Edited by dogs32

Posted
I have checked all radars and lightning detectors all I can see ATM is small showers.

The GFS charts on Net-weather Data, seem to suggest that any activity will not reach me here or you there.

Maybe we will be lucky another time :lol:

Russ

Ahh yes, I was wondering why they were small.

But yes maybe we shall share some of the events happening over the coming few days :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
Well talk about being blunt :rolleyes: Normally I would say "typical, the Midlands misses out again" but this time I'm going by my own judgement. Like Blizzards said, I don't like these yo-yo charts and people forecasting one area to get storms and the other not.

So, I'll continue to look at the models, in particular look at the airflow direction to see who is most likely to be affected by storms should any develop. The only people that seem to know what's going on is Nick F and other forecasters on here (Brick and John). So no more BBC weather updates and certainly no paying attention to Meto warnings.

I can safely say that from now on I will be paying NO more attention to Met office weather warnings, as today they achieved the hat trick of putting me in a weather warning area and bingo...nowt happened.

I dont believe the hype they are coming out with one iota....I foresee a very wet day and nowt else.

Posted
Anyone watching the radar, what's that stuff appearing towards London on the 00:30

Just anaprop, its gone already :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Just been woken by rumbles of thunder to the West.

Edit: Just seen the radar to the south. Gonna get hammered in a second! This was unexpected - can just hear the rain starting!

Blue lightning now overhead! Loud thunder. Going to get some video.

Edited by Paul R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Yes I'm watching it from mid wales, strobing in the sky, stars above clear, with flickers to north. it's like a rave lol

Nice one enjoy it Paul, try get video :rolleyes: it's giving a nice light show 60 miles so south of you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Yes I'm watching it from mid wales, strobing in the sky, stars above clear, with flickers to north. it's like a rave lol

Nice one enjoy it Paul, try get video :rolleyes: it's giving a nice light show 60 miles so south of you.

Got some lightning, mostly sheet IC I think. All the big bolts seem to have happened when I've been frantically freeing up room on my camera flash card. Lightning is now to the West and North.

Edit: Does seem to less lightning, the rain has eased and it all seems to be from a more northerly direction now. It may well build again over Liverpool though.

Edited by Paul R

Posted

It does seem to be perking up at the moment, though moving away. Anywhere up from Liverpool, through the Sefton Coast and towards Blackpool should keep an eye out for this as it's quite a active little beastie.

Posted
can see it grow on here http://www.sat24.com/gb

Wow, that quite literally exploded didn't it?

Not getting much now apart from distant rumblings and some faint lightning to the North. Looks like the shows over, but a nice surprise for us North East Walians nonetheless.

Will be uploading my lightning clips onto youtube in around 15 mins if anyone's interested.

Edit: Feels quite cool and fresh outside now. Still got some very faint rumbling but it's hardly noticeable.

Edited by Paul R

Posted

Just uploading my video now. Got about half a dozen strikes, all sheet IC, but one uplit the base of the cloud which looks pretty decent.

Edit: Just starting to get light now, and I'm (with difficulty) able to make out the CB to the North - looks rather good.

Edited by Paul R

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Storm over the wirral has kicked it up a notch, average of 14-23 strikes per minute now. Quite a few +CG's too so im guessing it's high based. Bet it's woken folks up with a bit of a shock. lol

Just trying to get to bed here atm is unbearable, still over 30'c in my room and sticky :rolleyes:

Posted
Storm over the wirral has kicked it up a notch, average of 14-23 strikes per minute now. Quite a few +CG's too so im guessing it's high based. Bet it's woken folks up with a bit of a shock. lol

Just trying to get to bed here atm is unbearable, still over 30'c in my room and sticky :rolleyes:

I've just spent ten minutes watching it. It's about 40 miles away now near Southport. Still getting some vivid lightning even though it's very distant. Totally suprising to get a storm, and nice to watch the cloud being lit up in the distance.

Posted

Hi Folks

Finally broked through the shield here!

CC lightning started about half hour ago, increasing in intensity. Nice little show at the moment but still feeling pretty damn muggy. Glad to finally see 1st bit of lightning this year :rolleyes:

Posted

Lightning from earlier around 2-3am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDtuVOKHMoY

Video still processing but should work ok.

Posted

Nice vid Paul :rolleyes:

Nght-time ones are always the best, even better when it's not expected. Still flashing and banging over this way...glad we finally got to see some action. Hopefully more to come this week but for now I'm happy with what we've got!

Posted

Good storm here from3am - 3.45 am. Lots of IC and CG ligtning. Southport, Merseyside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Looks as though the ingredients perhaps for some severe storms for the Midlands is possible later tomorrow evening.....post-6830-1246429517_thumb.pngpost-6830-1246429542_thumb.png I shall be scrutinizing the charts over the next 24/36 hrs :p :blink: :p:80:

post-6830-1246429569_thumb.png