Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook & Discussion Mon 6th July 09

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

There are thunderclouds mushrooming all around. Unfortunately the NE wind is undercutting them all here!

I think I'll move to Wrexham? :D

Posted
Love the look of that - see stormnut, day hasn't even begun for the SE yet - as the earlier posts suggest the decent weather probably won't start for us until the mid to late afternoon!!
... Parts of United Kingdom ...

An upgrade was performed due to the risk of tornadoes over S-UK, as shear at low and mid-levels is on a slight increase. In addition, 00Z soundings of Ireland already revealed some LL CAPE release, which will be seen, too in 12Z sounding data over parts of UK. Another reason for the level-1 was the marginal hail risk and locally intense convective precipitation

:D Its starting to get windy in Sussex... No structural damage or injuries though please!

So will the possibilities continue through until darkness?

gfs_spout_eur12.png

http://aviationweather.gov/data/iffdp/2104.pdf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Another dead day for misrable shropshire storm enthusiasts.

Plenty of rain here, but thats about it.

Sigh..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
Heavy rain and thunder now :D:D;)

Well thats you out of the NSC then...my congrats and my envy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

What roughly are the hours of development? I know it's not always easy to tell, but I was wondering if this set-up was one which required heating to initiate storms, or due to the proximity of the low pressure, storms/showers could develop well into the evening and overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
:D Its starting to get windy in Sussex... No structural damage or injuries though please!

So will the possibilities continue through until darkness?

gfs_spout_eur12.png

http://aviationweather.gov/data/iffdp/2104.pdf

Don't want to sound picky, but that looks like a cervical smear. :D;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
Another dead day for misrable shropshire storm enthusiasts.

Plenty of rain here, but thats about it.

Sigh..

I really am beginning to believe that this part of North East Wales along with Shropshire is completely jinxed when it comes to storms.

Just not happening (at all) this year.

It's becoming seriously annoying now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

just heard a distant rumble of thunder here , currently have light rain

Edited by Calum

Posted

The showers just aren't moving here, there must be a bit of flooding in places (not here because it's barely rained)

Posted

Nice litttle storm here quite a few flashes of lightning with quite a few rumbles, rain only at heavy stage with those big rain drops and its struggling to head eastwards thanks to the easterly breeze.

Another loud rumble just now!

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

The South Bucks storm shield must be fired up at full power atm - everything is disappearing as it gets close to us or is skirting round us. We had a couple of minutes of stair rods at about 11am, which was enough to leave big puddles everywhere. 10 minutes of that and you would know about it.

I predict that we get clobbered just as it's time to leave work - the thought of driving through a storm petrifies me!

Mrs Missfit

Posted

Wow what a day so far.

No thunder but some incredible tropical downpours.

Excellent day to take some photos which I shall hopefully upload later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings
Nice litttle storm here quite a few flashes of lightning with quite a few rumbles, rain only at heavy stage with those big rain drops and its struggling to head eastwards thanks to the easterly breeze.

cannot beleive what i am reading there paul , newcaslte is getting it's 3rd day of storms :lol:

Out in the north sea just east of st abbs , there seems to be something very active , inching it's way slowy eastwards. Couple of IC strikes are starting to appear over the forth now

EDIT 1412 : Red return coming in of the 1400 met office radar for the cell just south of me , maybe only 5-10 miles away

Edited by Calum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Almost clear sky here.

getting warmer, still very windy though.

Im no longer holding my breath.

Posted

I thought this set up would provide a better chance for Wiltshire but so far most of the county has had a mostly dry day and here the ground hasn't even been wetted :lol: . In fact there's been more sunshine than on a few of the hot/humid days last week :lol: .

However, it is a stunning clean convective day with TCu, CBs & anvils visible in most directions and with plenty of energy through strong sun, LOW pressure & troughs then chances are there for activity to be more apparant later.

Posted

some beasts building up hereGS.ALL HEADING YOUR WAY MATE :lol:

Posted
cannot beleive what i am reading there paul , newcaslte is getting it's 3rd day of storms :lol:

Out in the north sea just east of st abbs , there seems to be something very active , inching it's way slowy eastwards. Couple of IC strikes are starting to appear over the forth now

EDIT 1412 : Red return coming in of the 1400 met office radar for the cell just south of me , maybe only 5-10 miles away

Yeah, there is a long line of red's and whites just to your south( i presume) on the netweather radar.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Working ouitside and watching a gross big beast coming up from N Wales, through Merseyside and heard distant thunder when it got to W.Lancs about Southport way. Now seems to be making for Blackpool and the Fylde. We seem to be on the fringe so far, even had some patches of blue sky overhead. Temp 20.2C now. Very sweaty, Only a few drops of rain so far. All looking dead black to W and S. Taken some pics. Will upload before long provided the electric doesn't cut off.

Posted

I just returned from golf after 9 holes-much of the time watching the storms gathering with thunder both to my east and west-I finally persuaded my partners at about noon to walk in and about 20 minutes later the storm broke,first with heavy rain then both sheet and fork lightning-some of in very close by-it all ceased about 30 minutes ago but I reckon there is more to come today.

Posted

Actually 4th day in less of a week!(Storms recorded on Wed, Fri, Sun and today), strange thing about this shower cell that its not heading in the circulation of the low, its actually heading from a WNW direction to a ESE direction which is strange(the radar will back that one up). Anyways since my last post 2 flashes were recorded and they appear to of died out now as i never heard/seen anything in a while now

Appears to be a cell around Teesside heading this way but with the easterly flow i suspect it will weaken or skirt around me, not that i will be all that dissapointed mind! :lol: