Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wednesday's Storm/Low Pressure Discussion

That surprises me. Maybe you get sheltered by Salisbury Plain? Would be interesting to know. I had 30mm in 24 hours a few weeks ago due to overnight downpours and in excess of 20mm on Friday 17th! We haven't quite got 20mm today but there has been more only a few miles S/SE from Westbury.

That's a possibility.

Looks like the final total for today is 17.3mm.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Shame the electrical stuff seems to be staying in the channel.... seems to be tracking eastly.

Posted

meteox showing a large blob of red for the south east in the next 3 or so hours. I think someone is going to get a big storm . funny feeling will head straight for london herts beds east anglia areas !!

Posted

My mums partner is on iow and confirmed thunder and lightning there

i too can confirm thunder and lightning we had 4 reall big flashes and big rumbles

been raining very heavy and went black as night was unexpected well the thunder anyway:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Not sure if anyone has seen what I have seen, but I saw two big orange cloud illuminations off to the East about 10 mins ago!

The first I thought I imagined, but the second I was staring straight at the cloud!

This is either MEGA imagination playing tricks on me (which I doubt) or there is electrical activity way off to the E!

Posted

Not sure if anyone has seen what I have seen, but I saw two big orange cloud illuminations off to the East about 10 mins ago!

The first I thought I imagined, but the second I was staring straight at the cloud!

This is either MEGA imagination playing tricks on me (which I doubt) or there is electrical activity way off to the E!

really? :) :)

the stuff in the channel appears to have lost electrical activity. :)

Posted

really? :):)

the stuff in the channel appears to have lost electrical activity. :)

Well - this is what I mean, the stuff to the E is miles away, so for me to see lightning it would have to be very high altitude stuff! I am confused...at the time I would have said I was 99.9% sure it was lightning...???

Big rain drops falling suddenly here now - should know if it is electrical v soon :)

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Well - this is what I mean, the stuff to the E is miles away, so for me to see lightning it would have to be very high altitude stuff! I am confused...at the time I would have said I was 99.9% sure it was lightning...???

Big rain drops falling suddenly here now - should know if it is electrical v soon :)

Just heard thunder here, Harry.

Posted

Yes it does appear that something has kicked off over the IOW and now moving inland.

Here in soggy Solihull, it's been exactly that for over 11 hours... SOGGY!! This 'Summer' has at times been quite surreal.

I agree with Mark Forster 630 about 21st July 2007. The same can also be applied to August 2008 and 5/6th September of the same year.

I also notice the METO 'backtracking' again as to the 'Barbeque Summer' predictions. whistling.gif You can't predict three months in advance, even a week can be sometimes borderline. I've never figured out why they continually stick their neck out with making such rash predictions, even with their number-crunching supercomputers.

Maybe they enjoy criticism? Who knows?? unknw.gif

This is the third year now of very unsettled Summers. I won't say I told you so but I could forsee that Summer 2009 wouldn't be too much different from the previous two years. Ok, a good and hot end to June and the beginning of July, but has there been much to report since, apart from the odd brief and thundery breakdown which have been quite tame as compared to when I was much younger? Mid 1980's and 1990's being the exception to the rule when some long lasting massive MCS imports would be the norm after a breakdown in a heatwave.

I can't see August faring any better if I'm honest.

Just my tuppence worth though.

Phil. :)

Posted

Raining heavy here, no thunder or lightning to report from this wave of precip (though am still adamant about what I saw earlier...ish anyway :) )

I agree with PhilUK regarding the MetO - I am not sure what bright spark thought it a good idea to suggest such nonsense anyway. Yes they mentioned temperatures slightly above average, but to be fair I think they have got that probably just about right for the SE at least. I can't remember many days since the start of June where the day time temps in the SE havent got up to or above 20C.

But BBQ summer...please! I remember the immediate response on here was WTF, that from many people who aren't paid for a living to know or forecast the weather. I think their decision to announce such a thing was foolish and has seriously dented their reputation. I think it even more disappointing that they chose to fight back with "Wimbledon was good"...though, as discussed quite veheremently on the radio this evening, a two week period at the end of June/early July does not constitute the summer for most people - end of July throughout August while most parents are off work and with the children is 'the summer'.

I know the weather is almost unpredictable and I sympathise with the difficulties they have, but such wild statements to a nation that is exceptionally passionate about the weather, particularly summer weather.....rather frustrating! Still, August may surprise us, though now I suspect they are praying it DOESNT hot up and become BBQ like because that will be two rather large ostrich eggs on their faces!!

Anyway...back to the present, still raining quite hard....still nothing electric to report from it :) (not upset, wasnt expecting much anyway...wouldve been nice though :) )

Edited by Harry

Posted

Where is this thunder and lightning then? Nothing our way - allthough we did have very heavy rain for most of this afternoon but, nothing eles.

Posted

Oh well never mind, another one bites the dust! If there is going to be more electrics doesn't seem like it will be here :)

Happy in the mindset that I saw some earlier, albeit possibly imagined, lol!

Hope other people get lucky further East - certainly seems like the leading edge of the rain is lining up into a relatively intense line. Knowing the law of Sod, I will watching the flashing as it trundles East.

Night all...(for now anyway unless it sparks off :))

Posted

Woah.......

Having very very heavy rain here, started about 9:10pm(ish) while watching St. Albans City play Watford and has just about finished but walking 20-30 mins home in it was horribleeeeee!!!!!! No brolly, no coat, lots of flooding already!