Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook

Paul Sherman

Posted

Excuse my ignorance but which way is this storm heading??

Its very windy in Gloucester, wondered if its going to get worse or better?? Thanks.

Posted

The weather this past few weeks has been wierd, its so nasty and I feel we've been caught up in something awful.

I'll be pleased when it all changes and its calm with blue skys and some nice ice cold winter air. (I want to get my scarf out and put my umbrella away!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Getting very wild outside here now, and looks like it won't be long to wait for this squall line, with it tackling the pennines about now! I wish I had my camcorder grrr!

bb

Posted

Getting quite gusty around here. The wind is roaring in the trees and our TV ariel is trying to break free from the chimney stack, creaking like mad. Glad I locked my chickens up :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe t/ storms, rain, snow, wind!

Hi

In the last half hour the winds are gusting to about 50-60 mph and have seen a few flashes of lightning in the west....the wind actually knocks you off your feet and lights are flickering on and off..have candles out just incase. Is it gonna get any worse?

Ian, where in sw are you?

Stay safe all x x

Posted

Evenin' All,

can I put in plea for AWS users to switch to high frequency logging as per my post here-

http://forum.netweat...-november-2009/

and am also interested in hearing damage reports (in the appropriate thread.)

BTW I should have written 'confluent trough' and 'appended' !

I'm interested in collecting AWS/damage records in support of very-high resolution modelling of this type of front. Further details see here-

http://www.abuhrc.or...ew.aspx?news=29

Thanks,

David Smart

'waghorn'

David is a 'new' face on here but having just started to read a paper by himself and someone I greatly respected when in the Met O I can vouch for him being genuine!

Its an interesting looking night for some folk so if you are affected, and I hope not seriously damage wise, PLEASE do pass the information David has asked for to the address he gives.

NW radar shots were used in the research paper.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Its very windy in Gloucester, wondered if its going to get worse or better?? Thanks.

For you Skelly and for most, its going to get worse.

It isnt so much a storm moving in, more a squall associated with an active CF. Judging by other forecasts, wind gusts of 50-70mph can be expected, even in land.

From other reports coming in, I hear you - wind is getting very strong here too. In fact some of the gusts hitting recently I thought was thunder, judging by the bump/roar noise its making against the houses/trees.

Excited by Mumbles' reports of lightning flashes :D

Edited by Harry

Posted

I think its going to get more windy yet even though it's fairly gusty now

as the front is still out to the West

Posted

Have a look at the raintoday radar animation and you will see where it is. The place to avoid is at the centre of one of the small bowed areas (LEWP) unless you like seeing your fence fall down ! The gaps between them are less windy as has been reported by a user on another forum at Lands End which missed the bows to the North and South. The animation clearly shows these 'bows' running along the squall line.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted

Yes nice to have David (waghorn) over here (usually lurks on Ukww :D )

And as David does so much work with regards to the Cold Fronts and seeing as the ANA CF Is quite a rare beast compared to the Katbatic CF Then please do relay reports to his link as John has also asked. These are fascinating features that dont come along in the Uk that often.

Paul S

Posted

Have a look at the raintoday radar animation and you will see where it is. The place to avoid is at the centre of one of the small bowed areas (LEWP) unless you like seeing your fence fall down ! The gaps between them are less windy as has been reported by a user on another forum at Lands End which missed the bows to the North and South. The animation clearly shows these 'bows' running along the squall line.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

thats impressive :D

Posted

Couldn't help but notice this little feature towards NE Wales. Right at the edge of two bows, we appear to have a sudden dip in precip - possible meso/funnel maybe?

post-3790-12591006180694_thumb.jpg

Posted

I know that these features do not always move at the speed the radar is suggesting but a rough guide for those interested might be

a line top end Br Channel to mouth of Humber by 2300

I of Wight to NE Norfolk 2400 and clearing Kent coast before 0100

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

I know that these features do not always move at the speed the radar is suggesting but a rough guide for those interested might be

a line top end Br Channel to mouth of Humber by 2300

I of Wight to NE Norfolk 2400 and clearing Kent coast before 0100

Wow - do you really think it will have cleared through Kent by 0100? If that is the case I will certainly consider staying up for its arrival....

If the winds are going to get a fair bit stronger than they are now....woohoo! Might have to wait out in the garden for its arrival :D

Posted

Couldn't help but notice this little feature towards NE Wales. Right at the edge of two bows, we appear to have a sudden dip in precip - possible meso/funnel maybe?

It does look a lot like a hook echo...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Looks likethe most intense part may be heading for me... i think a cig out the window is a good idea for me shortly (Well a bad idea but I'm going to do it anyway so there!)

bb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Blimey, risk of Tornado outbreak! Funny I'm just after watching Discovery channels stormchasers.

Looks like you's are in for a rough one tonight, will keep an eye on this feature myself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Looks likethe most intense part may be heading for me... i think a cig out the window is a good idea for me shortly (Well a bad idea but I'm going to do it anyway so there!)

bb

Reporting from the Front (Squall) line...

Hit us in Shrewsbury about 10 mins ago, and the wind really got up and it HAMMERED it down, but it never lasted that long and its all over now... In fact its just raining very lightly...

Is that all to expect tonight as far as wind and rain goes?

That said cant have helped the Severn, its been in Flood in Shrewsbury since the 18th of November...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

wind getting nasty here at times...few bins being blown over..

hear the roar in the sky of fast winds

Pretty rough here too dogs!! Couple of things have blown over out in the street. I presume this is just the start!shok.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

yep, its starting to look ominous to my west, plenty of 'bowing' along this squall line, and looking impressive on radar!..

post-4149-12591014469808.txt