Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

I think Dorset is now buggered! - Latest temps on Windguru which is also a very good website are now forecast to be 8c or 9c next week Sunday, Monday, Tuesday onwards with the only cooler days this Friday and Saturday. Other than that i guess we'll have to wait and see what January and Febuary 2010 bring :winky:

Edited by Snowman15

Posted

I think Dorset is now buggered! - Latest temps on Windguru which is also a very good website are now forecast to be 8c or 9c next week Sunday, Monday, Tuesday onwards with the only cooler days this Friday and Saturday. Other than that i guess we'll have to wait and see what January and Febuary 2010 bring :help:

...Which will no doubt be using the GFS 06Z Operational run. Which has no agreement from its own ensemble suite or the European Models (UKMO, ECM). We'll get some snow for a few days, hardly snowmageddon, mind, but it's not quite as dire as you're painting it. :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

.. Portsmouth & snow just do not mix wallbash.gif Even last February here in Southsea we only got a dusting which melted by the afternoon... cray.gif

I was a student down in Portsmouth 1985-88.

What happen Feb 86 Jan 87 ??. cold.gif

It was bloody freezing with snow and ice, I use to wear 6 jumpers in side the student digs with the crap heating.

All the student since then , they don't know how lucky they are.

Even the storm of October 2007 Portsmouth was one of the worst hit

Ps if you find a black shoe near 'gaiety pier' I lost it , was very drunk and 'came to' walking home cira 7am with one shoe on

Happy times

Posted

I was a student down in Portsmouth 1985-88.

What happen Feb 86 Jan 87 ??. cold.gif

It was bloody freezing with snow and ice, I use to wear 6 jumpers in side the student digs with the crap heating.

All the student since then , they don't know how lucky they are.

Even the storm of October 2007 Portsmouth was one of the worst hit

Ps if you find a black shoe near 'gaiety pier' I lost it , was very drunk and 'came to' walking home cira 7am with one shoe on

Happy times

Well yes those winters did see snow, but it still didn't stick around for a decent amount of time & that was over 20 years ago! Apparently the last serious snowfall to hit Potsmouth (that did hang around & cause disruption) was way back in 1982!! dry.gif We don't even get a proper frost down here nowadays either, Southsea has not gone lower than -3C (27F) in the last 8 years & the last time it went as low as -5C (23F) was 1995...

At least it's a nice friendly & safe place to live, with a beautiful beach... oh, hang on... whistling.gifhelp.gif

Posted

General synoptic evolution is thsame as modelled yesterday with colder air digging in from the east and meeting up wit hthe eastern fringes of the front. I still suspect we will see a small snow zone on the eastern fringe of the front but exactly where that ends up being is something that is rather uncertain at this moment...

Saying all that I'm very unimpressed by the front at the moment, looks pitifully weak right now but the GFS is forecasting it to pep up a little bit in the next 6hrs or so, if it does then 1-2cms on the eastern flank is possible, if not then its going to be very hit and miss, some will get nothing whilst others wil get a dusting. As I said the snow zone will probably be quite small so there likely will be a certain amount of luck involved.

Posted

Yo peeps!

Looking at the latest station data on the NetWeather Radar the temps are quite widely in the 1-3 range to the east of the decaying band of 'precip'. Throw dew points of below freezing into the mixer and 850's of -5 to -6 and some of the ingredients are there... all we need now is the precip to pep up a bit as Kold Weather has pointed out... here's dreaming...

Posted

Well the lunchtime weather on BBC South Today gave rain for most of the region, with just a touch of sleet in the far north of the region later today & sleet, perhaps turning to snow in northern parts of west Sussex tomorrow... Also dry & sunny for Thusday & sleet on Friday... wallbash.gif

Posted

It's lookind good for some snow for our region this evening & overnight. Should see some in northern & westen parts of Hampshire, southern Wiltshire & Dorset. Could well be a dusting on Salisbury Plain & the New Forest tomorrow morning... drinks.gif

Posted

It's lookind good for some snow for our region this evening & overnight. Should see some in northern & westen parts of Hampshire, southern Wiltshire & Dorset. Could well be a dusting on Salisbury Plain & the New Forest tomorrow morning... drinks.gif

Looks like the precip is going to end soon though on the radar? or is more ment to form? If you visit the south west discussion a member has posted a snow risk chance for Thursday night and Dorset, Hampshire etc are in the 75%-85% chance of snow Thursday night! Lets hope it happens :o !

Just said on the radio of reports of it snowing in Winchester. I must admit, the rain is turning into sleet here in East Dorset!

Edited by Snowman15

Posted

Looks like the precip is going to end soon though on the radar? or is more ment to form? If you visit the south west discussion a member has posted a snow risk chance for Thursday night and Dorset, Hampshire etc are in the 75%-85% chance of snow Thursday night! Lets hope it happens smile.gif !

Just said on the radio of reports of it snowing in Winchester. I must admit, the rain is turning into sleet here in East Dorset!

The trough should be making its way south westwards later this evening & overnight, so I wouldn't worry too much about it dying out at the moment. Eastern & northern parts of Dorset should get a light dusting drinks.gif

The sky is starting to turn that lovely pinkish colour here, but there isn't even rain falling at the moment & temps are a bit high at 3.5C doh.gif

Posted

The trough should be making its way south westwards later this evening & overnight, so I wouldn't worry too much about it dying out at the moment. Eastern & northern parts of Dorset should get a light dusting drinks.gif

The sky is starting to turn that lovely pinkish colour here, but there isn't even rain falling at the moment & temps are a bit high at 3.5C doh.gif

Not sure though as the precip currently over us is just about to end and head into the channel looking at the Metoffice radar and theres no more precip to follow!. Will just have to wait and watch :D

Posted

Well, given I'm in East Dorset (about as east as it comes, in fact), I'm not holding my breath for anything tonight. I'd reckon any precipitation would likely fall as rain or sleet rather than snow, certainly wouldn't stick around. I have no scientific basis for this except my own intuition! :D

Posted

Unless any precip forms out of nowhere later then i'd say thats all the precip we're going to get for today/tonight!. Although some forecasts are saying precip all the way through until the early hours tonight ;):cold:;)

Posted

Looks like the precip is going to end soon though on the radar? or is more ment to form? If you visit the south west discussion a member has posted a snow risk chance for Thursday night and Dorset, Hampshire etc are in the 75%-85% chance of snow Thursday night! Lets hope it happens :lol: !

More of sleety sort of mini hailstones and some teeny weensy flakes sort of snow. Was waiting at the bust stop to come home in 1c at the train station. Friggin' freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezin'!! So glad to see the dew points sitting at below 0c now as it was 2.5-3c when I went out at lunch time.

Posted

ITV Forecast 1minute ago said we are to get a dusting of snow tomorrow afternoon/evening then got a snow warning for Friday 'where that snow gets that bit thicker' in the words of simon on ITV1!. I may have misheard but before he did the forecast he mentioned a few inches :mellow:

Posted

I can report, with a heavy heart, that the sleet that has been falling is now falling as snow in BH31. Unfortunately, I'm now off for a night out in Bournemouth, which means I'm going to have to drive and go out tonight in falling snow. Nice one. :blink: :wub:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

isle of wight temp 1.6oc and dropping!! windchill 0.7 increasing clouds but clear at the mo!!real cold now i heard we will see snow tomo for a bit then thurs and fri and sat!!just a covering will delight me!! 100% chance for iow on friday could be a great snow day on friday!! could be fun as its my xmas party that night!!!drunk.gif

Posted

I can report, with a heavy heart, that the sleet that has been falling is now falling as snow in BH31. Unfortunately, I'm now off for a night out in Bournemouth, which means I'm going to have to drive and go out tonight in falling snow. Nice one. unsure.gifpardon.gif

Glad you got to see some snow drinks.gif A friend of mine text me to say it was snowing in Blandford earlier too.

ITV Forecast 1minute ago said we are to get a dusting of snow tomorrow afternoon/evening then got a snow warning for Friday 'where that snow gets that bit thicker' in the words of simon on ITV1!. I may have misheard but before he did the forecast he mentioned a few inches cc_confused.gif

Simon Parkin knows bugger all about the weather, he has no meteorological training & only did a presenting course... Why can't we have Martyn Davies full time! dry.gif

Posted

Cant believe it snowed in Southampton yesterday evening not a lot BUT IT SNOWED@!!and this side of Christmas!!! AND saints scored in the last 30seconds and beat Norwich 6-5 on penalties unbelievable!!!!

If we get snow anything like this will be the icing on the cake.yes that is a road believe it or not that was Feb this year top of Zig-Zag hill (as I call it) Shaftsbury there were 3ft drifts in places but the scary thing was to the left its about a 300ft drop so any mistakes and i would have been toast luckily was in a 4x4 so got through but loads of cars stuck on the hill.

Thought id pass through Salisbury on the way home and do a bit of off roadingpost-9661-12609557414427_thumb.jpg and that puddle turned out to be about 4ft deep got a bit wet but it was fun.The strange thing was got back to Southampton and no snow,lets hope we all get some this time.

:acute:

Edited by ademlc69