Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Im cutting it very fine tonight. ppn has just about cleared away from here now just as my temperature has started to drop and a few visible flakes within the sleet starting to appear! dry.gif

close but no cigar....

post-8911-12609061302112_thumb.png

i dont get that, just been the petrol station and it was snowing, big proper flakes!!

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

yes we had some snow granuels this evening also...

BBC Weather local just said the SouthWest might get a dusting of snow tonight

I don't know what temp it is near you, but here it is 3.9c, only dropping very very slowly.

Can't see it snowing here.

Posted

Well i'm a bit more pleased with the latest model runs now than I was for the last couple of days. A chance of a bit of ppn crossing over Thursday night/Friday which would definitely be snow as it would be cold enough with 850's around -10C.

Then some ok charts at the weekend which could bring some snow showers into western areas more. If the latest GFS chars verified there would be a band of sleet/snow pushing south on Saturday evening, then also the chance of some snow showers coming into western areas on Sunday etc with winds turning more NW with 850's around -8C - -10C and again it would be cold enough.

It is looking a bit more marginal until Thursday night/Friday but a few places may well get a bit mostly over higher ground though perhaps tomorrow evening being a chance of this.

After this it may break down with winds turning to the SW, or we may stay colder with the lows slipping to the south or there is just a chance we could get a low in the right place in the channel!

Of course details will change esp. into the weekend and beyond but im feeling a little more optimistic now. And if we dont get snow ill still be happy with cold and frosty weather which i like aswell.

Good to see a few light sleet/snow reports in parts of the south now :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

i dont get that, just been the petrol station and it was snowing, big proper flakes!!

The reason is you have alot more ppn still around further south. mine is very slight in fact just about clear now although a couple of snow grains within it.

Posted

Been dumping with snow down here on the coast for the past 4 hours, it's about a foot deep as I type.

Or..... I am lying and it has been cold dank drizzle. :unsure:

Posted

Yep todays 12Z have been a big update for the SW, particularly the ECM which wasn't much good this morning.

UKMETO take alot of precip Wed night thursday morning into the SW, the hills could see a couple of cm's as long as it sticks.

Posted

temperature is 1.5c dew point of -0.4c still mainly light drizzle/sleet with occasional flake mixed in. wallbash.gif

One thing is for sure and that is when we finaly get a clear spell and a frost sets in its gonna be an ice rink out there with all that water about! rolleyes.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Wow ppn is all but gone but it is finaly snowing for the first time this winter!!!!!!!!! yahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Not gonna be enough to even lay on car but at least i can say i have seen a couple of flakes.

Posted

I don't know what temp it is near you, but here it is 3.9c, only dropping very very slowly.

Can't see it snowing here.

Hi Steve

as follows

TEMP 2.2

Windchill: 2 °C

Humidity: 92%

Dew Point: 1 °C

Wind: 3 km/h from the East

Wind Gust: 3 km/h

Pressure: 1018.8 hPa (Rising)

Visibility: 8.0 kilometers

UV: 0 out of 16

Clouds:

Overcast 518 m

(Above Ground Level)

Elevation: 28 m

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Well i have just looked at the models, And since yesterday what a mega improvement i think if that low pressure runs south of cornwall on monday look outcold.gifhelp.gif

Posted

Definately not rain out there now. The sleet is starting to get heavier now! Be good to see some proper decent size flakes though over the next few days! :)

Metcheck have got Dorset down for heavy sleet on Monday and then Heavy Snow on Tuesday?? But unfortunately Metcheck have been useless at forecasting sleet and snow over the past few years!!

Edited by Snowman15

Posted

Well i have just looked at the models, And since yesterday what a mega improvement i think if that low pressure runs south of cornwall on monday look outcold.gifhelp.gif

YES A CHANNEL LOW always creat's a massive dumping for the West country..

Wishful thinking at this stage

i can remember many yrs Cornwal and Devon getting a pasting from a Low down South

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

6oc and rain in north devon :). I dont even care for sleet i want snow that will settle.

Posted

good im happy for you mullender whistling.gifwhistling.gif just the starters i think.

Strange thing about it is there is no ppn at all showing on the radar! maybe abit of forced relief ppn from hills.

Temperature is falling with it also now 1.2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Sleeting here.

Posted

Strange thing about it is there is no ppn at all showing on the radar! maybe abit of forced relief ppn from hills.

Temperature is falling with it also now 1.2c

hehe you must of been praying as much as me , i think richards forcast will change for the better to :) :) :cold::cold: ,no break down till march :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

hehe you must of been praying as much as me , i think richards forcast will change for the better to :) :) :cold::) ,no break down till march :cold:

Lol, it will be March before the cold air actually gets here :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

will we, wont we, arrrhhh is doing me head in lol.....but im still looking still hopeful...unknw.gif

Posted

Lol, it will be March before the cold air actually gets here crazy.gif

Thats why i have resorted to flying to the cold air! skiing on the 2nd january however they have a shortage of snow at moment also! doh.gif I have been skiing four times now for a total of 5 weeks and never seen a flake over there. last time i had rain while skiing.

My luck never fails to amuse me. mega_shok.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

The reason is you have alot more ppn still around further south. mine is very slight in fact just about clear now although a couple of snow grains within it.

i not any further south than you we are on the same level.

proper snow now yahoo.gifyahoo.gifdrinks.gifdrunk.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Thats why i have resorted to flying to the cold air! skiing on the 2nd january however they have a shortage of snow at moment also! doh.gif I have been skiing four times now for a total of 5 weeks and never seen a flake over there. last time i had rain while skiing.

My luck never fails to amuse me. mega_shok.gif

My first skiing trip was to the Pyrenees and was more scrapping down on the ice than skiing, so the next trip was to the Canadian Rockies for a snowfest :)

Posted

i not any further south than you we are on the same level.

proper snow now yahoo.gifyahoo.gifdrinks.gifdrunk.gif

oops my bad your right although you are a good few miles to my east which is where the cold air is migrating from.

tricky dicky gets another one wrong. i really need a new avater......