Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Just seen the national forecast and it looks like a pants week ahead for us to be honest. no real improvment to be seen. mellow.gif

Lots of warning of snow but none for west country or south west england. Looks like cold rain again for a change .doh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Just seen the national forecast and it looks like a pants week ahead for us to be honest. no real improvment to be seen. mellow.gif

Lots of warning of snow but none for west country or south west england. Looks like cold rain again for a change .doh.gif

Yup, beginning to look that way. But I guess the finer details won't be seen until a bit nearer, still holding my hope out for thursday into friday.

Posted

Just viewed that as well. Looks a larry letdown for us M.wallbash.gif

My occasional posts this last week have been urging patience - well, i'm beginning to see a trend to a downgrade for us in the West. I know the East has always been favoured but for a couple of days over the weekend the models were predicting polar lows to head south right thru' the UK and i'm sure we'd have gone some decent snowfall from those.

In fact the snow charts for Sat night/sunday morning did look particularly interesting over last couple of days' runs, but now not so sure.

By the way, as you can see i'm in north bristol and it's only cold rain at the mo.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

We are not in very good shape here looking at the charts & forecasts.

Maybe East Somerset may see some action, but for the rest of us, it looks chilly and partly cloudy.

Posted

Maybe East Somerset may see some action, but for the rest of us, it looks chilly and partly cloudy.

Angwin says cold and rain tomorrow, pm and evening. Two days ago the temps were showing freezing for the day, so any precip was to be snow. His 5 day forecast shows cold, but hardly any snow. Absolute pants!wallbash.gif

What happened to those polar lows bringing heavy snow on Sat nite/Sun morn?? Never trust a weather model more than 72 hours out.

Bring back the atlantic!

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

It just got worse looking at richards forecast. poor all the way through to next week. cray.gif

Wouldnt be so bad if we could see some frosty sunny days as compensation but all we get is soding cloud and rain...

Edited by mullender83

Posted

It just got worse looking at richards forecast. poor all the way through to next week. cray.gif

It's not very good I must admit, for this area this cold spell looks very weak.

Richard was having none of it regarding snow tomorrow night, instead just showing rain. And Friday when it might be cold enough for snow, he said hardly any showers about.nonono.gif

Posted

Well i knew this area wasn't gunna get any snow from the start of when this cold snap was detected its a eastern and central event.

Posted

Wouldnt be so bad if we could see some frosty sunny days as compensation but all we get is soding cloud and rain...

yes must agree just saw that forcast by richard :cold: . looked like southerly or southwest wind arrows for monday if the cold holds could be some fun there . i think it will be bit better than that for us in west country this week , once we are def cold enough snow will come , today and last night theres been rain blown in on winds , winds are going get stronger showers will be heading this way i hope. just my novice postive take on it :cold: .

Posted

just driven back from chard right on the side of the blackdown hills 3\400ft above sealevel rainsleet\snow falling there and getting harder just rain down here in ilminster next the levels

Posted

Well i knew this area wasn't gunna get any snow from the start of when this cold snap was detected its a eastern and central event.

Actually WC the models a couple of days ago were suggesting some snow action for us on Friday and sat night/sun morn was looking particularly interesting. Still, i suppose the weather will do what it wants. Fingers crossed for more changes in tomorrow's models; maybe we'll get hit early next week by an approaching LP system from the south west which stalls as it hits BTL and produces hours of snow, just like some of the blizzard events during the winters 78 - 87.whistling.gif

Posted

yes must agree just saw that forcast by richard sad.gif . looked like southerly or southwest wind arrows for monday if the cold holds could be some fun there . i think it will be bit better than that for us in west country this week , once we are def cold enough snow will come , today and last night theres been rain blown in on winds , winds are going get stronger showers will be heading this way i hope. just my novice postive take on it smile.gif .

You may well be right, I am sure somewhere in the South West will see snow, but the majority will most probably not.

Even the breakdown when it comes, sounds like the Midlands North will get snow, while rain for us.

Posted

Actually WC the models a couple of days ago were suggesting some snow action for us on Friday and sat night/sun morn was looking particularly interesting. Still, i suppose the weather will do what it wants. Fingers crossed for more changes in tomorrow's models; maybe we'll get hit early next week by an approaching LP system from the south west which stalls as it hits BTL and produces hours of snow, just like some of the blizzard events during the winters 78 - 87.whistling.gif

That would be a good setup although it really cannot get much further north than bristol or we risk it all turning to rain again?

Posted

That would be a good setup although it really cannot get much further north than bristol or we risk it all turning to rain again?

I would have thought we would have needed more entrenched cold in our area when the Atlantic comes in. At the moment it doesn't look cold enough.

Posted

You may well be right, I am sure somewhere in the South West will see snow, but the majority will most probably not.

Even the breakdown when it comes, sounds like the Midlands North will get snow, while rain for us.

yes i think some wheres going to get a covering in southwest .

Posted

yes i think some wheres going to get a covering in southwest .

cotswolds would be my guess on thursday but they should be central southern really?

Posted

Hope so

Posted

latest metars southwest\ish

==================================================

ICAO : EGDM

Station Name : Boscombe Down

Time : 15 / 18:50Z

Temperature : 1.0°C / 33.8°F

Dew Point : 0.0°C / 32.0°F

RH : 93%

Wind : E (100 degrees) at 8 mi/h

Pressure : 1017.9 mb

Sky Condition : Broken clouds at 2400ft, Overcast at 3000ft

Weather : Light Snow

ICAO : EGDL

Station Name : Lyneham Raf

Time : 15 / 18:50Z

Temperature : 1.0°C / 33.8°F

Dew Point : 1.0°C / 33.8°F

RH : 100%

Wind : E (80 degrees) at 6 mi/h

Pressure : 1017.9 mb

Sky Condition : Broken clouds at 600ft, Overcast at 2000ft

Weather : Light Rain And Snow

Posted

yes im not sure really , i think you got a great chance with your height to . the real cold winds have not kicked in yet .

Im cutting it very fine tonight. ppn has just about cleared away from here now just as my temperature has started to drop and a few visible flakes within the sleet starting to appear! dry.gif

close but no cigar....

post-8911-12609061302112_thumb.png

Posted

I don't know if this is rubbing it in, but we've got snow here right in the east of the South West. Just drove to the supermarket in what was unmistakably snow. :blink:

Posted

I don't know if this is rubbing it in, but we've got snow here right in the east of the South West. Just drove to the supermarket in what was unmistakably snow. :unsure:

yes we had some snow granuels this evening also...

BBC Weather local just said the SouthWest might get a dusting of snow tonight

Posted

I don't know if this is rubbing it in, but we've got snow here right in the east of the South West. Just drove to the supermarket in what was unmistakably snow. :unsure:

I can back this up, Im also in East Dorset and its sleeting/light snow :)