Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 4

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Was supposed to be sunny today but it's clouded over with some pretty dense cloud from the north/north east! :D

Here in Copenhagen it is currently -3 with a biting easterly and 3 inches of lying snow - inland my colleagues report there is one to two foot of lying snow. Just be patient - the cold is intensifying at the moment.

Report from Copenhagen ^

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

EDIT : forgot to mention , both forecasts talk of gusts with drifting! :D

Don't forget heavy snow combined with winds above 35mph is defined as a blizzard. So blizzard conditions are very much possible today.

Great to see the Met O extending the warning areas. :D

Posted
Commuters face chaos as more snow is forecast

Thursday, 17 December 2009

Commuters can expect travel chaos tomorrow after forecasters predicted significant snowfall in the South-east of England. The Met Office issued a 24-hour severe weather warning for Friday, saying that travel networks might be affected. Up to 10cm of snow could fall on low ground and 20cm over hills in Essex, Kent, Sussex, Surrey, London and parts of East Anglia, forecasters said. Heavy snow was also forecast in parts of central and northern England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Sarah Holland, a Met Office forecaster, said: "We have a severe weather warning out for West Sussex, Surrey, Kent, Essex and Suffolk for Friday."

A blast of cold air from Russia brought a light dusting of snow to central London yesterday, falling on Christmas shoppers and office workers before turning to rain in the afternoon.

The wintry conditions have sparked concern that a shortage of grit may lead to a repeat of the chaotic scenes earlier this year, when a foot of snow fell in some areas. The Highways Agency said: "The snowfall in February was the worst the UK has seen for at least 18 years and was a tough test of our winter preparations. "We were well prepared for the severe weather and able to help a number of local highway authorities experiencing difficulties with shortfalls in their salt levels."

The early snowfall prompted bookmakers to cut the odds on a white Christmas in London. Ladbrokes was offering 5/2, among the lowest odds ever. Rupert Adams, spokesman for William Hill, said: "The million-pound snowflake is something we have always talked about in hushed tones and, for the first time this millennium, it looks like we could get collared."

Sub-zero temperatures are expected to continue at least until the weekend. The lowest temperature recorded on Tuesday night was -7.4C at Charlwood, near Gatwick Airport.

www.independent.co.uk

Posted

Just had a 20 nminute snow shower in MK, settled on cars and pavements.

Clouds passing over now but had 5-10p sized flakes at it's peak! woo!

Sun breaking through again now!

Posted
Posted
Posted

I can see it now... you sitting there at your computer with all those links open in your tabs going thru pressing F5 refreshing them all lol :drinks:

How'd you guess hahaha :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I really hope being here on the N Kent coast wont affect my chances too much, I'm not very hopeful though :drinks:

Posted

I really hope being here on the N Kent coast wont affect my chances too much, I'm not very hopeful though :drinks:

Why? , already had some snow flurries in herne bay. Does that make you feel better? :drinks:

Whereabouts are you though

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

Why? , already had some snow flurries in herne bay. Does that make you feel better? :drinks:

Whereabouts are you though

Haha yes it does, but surely the warmer sea temperatures will mean its more likely to be wet snow?

On the Isle of Grain

Edited by Daniel AKA WMD

Posted

Don't forget heavy snow combined with winds above 35mph is defined as a blizzard. So blizzard conditions are very much possible today.

Great to see the Met O extending the warning areas. smile.gif

Got over your wobbles last night TEITS? Looking good for the whole of the SE!

Edited by Jason H

Posted

Haha yes it does, but surely the warmer sea temperatures will mean its more likely to be wet snow?

On the Isle of Grain

Yes but on the other hand , the warmer sea temps are more likely to have deeper convection with the cold temps / dewpoints!. They did say though even on bbc that it may start off as rain/sleet but will all be snow by midnight!.

p.s I used to live on the isle o grain , chattendean(?) that was a onions hole though :drinks:

Posted

hopefully the placement of the trough is further west than maybe was being modeled hence why the warnings are extended further west but with this type of wind flow have to be cautious as I have experienced sweet FA . All it takes is a shift 20 miles here or there from the models that can make huge difference although in weather times is negiable .

Fingers cross but i wait to see the stuff falling from the sky to be 100% but Kent still looking like the sweet spot

Posted

Morning all.

Currently 0.9c here with a strong NNW wind. DP -0.3c. Nice bright sunshine, with scattered low level cloud zooming by.

Ground pretty wet, with a few icy patches after last night's rain. Lowest temp last night was only 0.6c.

I'm hoping it stays dry here all day and allows the surface to prepare for tonight/tomorrow somewhat.

I think it's a given that down here the ppn will start as rain this evening. Hopefully it will readily turn to snow and intensify allowing settling conditions. There's a nagging thought in the back of my mind, that this may just be a washout for us here in SE Essex. Here's hoping we hit the jackpot and the conditions allow for a good dump for once... :drinks:

Posted

Yes but on the other hand , the warmer sea temps are more likely to have deeper convection with the cold temps / dewpoints!. They did say though even on bbc that it may start off as rain/sleet but will all be snow by midnight!.

p.s I used to live on the isle o grain , chattendean(?) that was a onions hole though :wacko:

Blimey small world - Chattendean is a little further inland than I am so I'm sure that area will see plenty of snow. I was down in Strood a little while ago and there was a fairly heavy snow shower there.

Posted

Compare

UW6-7.GIF?17-06

To Tonight

UW18-7.GIF?17-06

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Light snow flurry in Tun Wells atm.

Some interesting fern like patterns of ice on the car windscreens this morning.

Posted

On the Isle of Grain

Hi Daniel.

You are just across the Thames to me, about 3 miles away. Are you near that monstrousity of a power station?!

I too share your concerns we may just see sleet/wet snow. Let's hope all the synoptics work in our favour eh.

There's nothing worse than looking across the Thames and seeing a blanket of white on the other side, when you have nothing. :wacko: That's how marginal I think it could be though. Here's hoping I'm wrong :good:

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Got over your wobbles last night TEITS? Looking good for the whole of the SE!

Yes I feel much better this morning.

Whats encouraging is looking at the radar for N England and then looking at the GFS predictions. The showers in the N are more widespread and penetrating further inland than the GFS suggested. Some have even made it across the Pennines!

Can't wait for this afternoon with kickoff probably around 3pm onwards.

Posted

Hi Daniel.

You are just across the Thames to me, about 3 miles away. Are you near that monstrousity of a power station?!

I too share you concerns we may just see sleet/wet snow. Let's hope all the synoptics work in our favour eh.

There's nothing worse than looking across the Thames and seeing a blanket of white, when you have nothing. :wacko:

Yeah I live practically right next to it haha, how much snow did you see yesterday? The radar showed snow for you yesterday but it seemed to break up as it crossed the Thames which was quite annoying.

Posted

Yes I feel much better this morning.

Whats encouraging is looking at the radar for N England and then looking at the GFS predictions. The showers in the N are more widespread and penetrating further inland than the GFS suggested. Some have even made it across the Pennines!

Can't wait for this afternoon with kickoff probably around 3pm onwards.

Dave, whats the probability of reloads after the weekend? I know there was some talk of it but haven't heard anything lately past sunday?

Posted

Yeah I live practically right next to it haha, how much snow did you see yesterday? The radar showed snow for you yesterday but it seemed to break up as it crossed the Thames which was quite annoying.

Haha. Hope it doesn't cause the air around you to be too warm, what with all that steam/heat it throws out! :wacko:

As for snow yesterday. Not a lot to be honest. We had small flakes falling from about midday, blowing in the wind. Then we had a heavy spell of snow around 2.45pm, which lasted about 30 mins, before turning to rain for the rest of the day. Didn't settle on anything.

What about you? Any snow showers yesterday?

Anyone care to comment on Rob M's forecast on the Beeb last night?

Chance of a marginal channel low type situation on Monday and warming up?

Posted

So what is going on in North-ish Norfolk (well Norwich)?

Temps up to about 5c, a bit of hail first thing then sunshine.

Have we missed the snow then?

;-)