Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 9

Posted

Well just popped out for a Ciggie and the temperature has dropped like a Stone in the last hour, snow level here just measured is 5cm - So 2" is not so shabby and for the kids in the morning will be great for them to play in and for Mum and Dad to make their way into the Smoke! Neighbour just returned from London saying C2C Is running but Liverpool Street NOT

That is of course if we dont get any more early doors :(

Posted

Yeah about the same here, temp profiles upto now have been clse to marginal so depsite what radar would suggest snowfall hasn't been quite as high as you'd expect, esp compared to places away from the Thames...

Anyway MO issuing a very heavy snowfall wartning is something I've not really seen before too often, indeed I think you can see the start of what wil lbe the thames streamer in the North Sea, winds should turn ENE/E in the next 30-60 mins...

Posted

measured the bin here in Chelmsford - just under 4 inches

and still snowing although not as hard as eariler

up to max amounts we had last year already - going to be interesting tomorrow morning if even more to come !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Seems to be settling here now, strange as it's been snowing for the last two hours! :)

Posted

swf12pm.jpg

South Woodham Ferrers.

Sorry for poor quality of photo. As others in this area can confirm it was taken at 12am.

I find it hard to believe other areas had 3 inches... it's not that we didn't have plenty of PPN. I can't believe it must have been warmer here than even closer to the coast. All my hot air some will say... :)

Posted

3.5 cm of snow and still drip drip drip :)

So when the wind changes will this mean the warm sector has passed over me and will the showers to the north of me be pulled over me as the low goes south? Can any of the more knowledgable chaps tell me please?

Edited by Snow Queen one

Posted

Winds just offshore Suffolk and Essex are now ENE, And as such there are now the 1st Inklings of Showers forming moving in towards the Estuary :)

Posted

Yeah about the same here, temp profiles upto now have been clse to marginal so depsite what radar would suggest snowfall hasn't been quite as high as you'd expect, esp compared to places away from the Thames...

Anyway MO issuing a very heavy snowfall wartning is something I've not really seen before too often, indeed I think you can see the start of what wil lbe the thames streamer in the North Sea, winds should turn ENE/E in the next 30-60 mins...

Could we be looking at heavy snowfall in London mate if the streamer comes off?

Posted

Im using this radar Kold - Here

Looks like some showers brewing to the ENE of me...

Was going to turn in. Think I may give it an hour or so yet...

Winds just offshore Suffolk and Essex are now ENE, And as such there are now the 1st Inklings of Showers forming moving in towards the Estuary :)

Was going to go to bed. Think I may just stay awake a little while longer...

:)

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Slightly off-topic, but still on the snow theme. In Moscow Its gotten so cold ATM Machines have literally frozen up, all that freezing air will be pooling East towards us in the coming 12-24 hours.

Posted

Looking at XC weather they're going for easterly winds by 3:00 am right down the mouth of the Thames Estuary, could get very interesting!

Posted

wow! This is the first time I have seen a blizzard in Bognor, it has been snowing steadily for an hour now and with the winds force 7 gusting to force 9 is already blowing up, down and sideways. Soon wont be able to see a lot out of the window as it is rapidly covering in snow. Not a great deal of depth yet but will be by tomorrow as the radar is showing a stream of snow still heading this way. great fun! Just also saw a flash of lightning to the north but no thunder.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Well indeed as I said 20 minutes or so ago - I have looked out the window and the dusting that had stuck for a couple of hours has very suddenly completely gone and back to scratch with owt againsad.gif .

It has actually started snowing again, but it is wet and not settling at all. Can't help thinking that by the time the dewpoints drop again in a couple of hours or so - the ppn will have gone from here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Suprising temp rise in the last few hours in Eastbourne 1.6c up from zero a few hours ago and dew points of -0.3, im thinking this is a sign to go to bed and hope something occurs while i sleep (prob be waking every hour to peek outside still)

Posted

Hi Everyone -I have been a member since 2004 and never posted as never been brave enough!! But had to share my evening with you. I work at the library at the Chatham (medway) university campus. Firstly - I was lucky enough to experience Thundersnow!!! Was totally blown away by it - it caused a major power surge and the lights where on and off! The snow come down so fast, alot of my students have never seen snow - so what with them screaming and running around like headless chickens, light going on and off i have never experienced such extreme weather!

Glad to say i am home now (after dumping the car half way home) enjoying a glass of wine!

Hope every one enjoys the weather and thanks for keeping me up to date and entertained for the last 5 yrs!!

Posted

Winds just offshore Suffolk and Essex are now ENE, And as such there are now the 1st Inklings of Showers forming moving in towards the Estuary help.gif

Its relaly impressive to see the north sea already filling up with convection compared to an hour ago, temps still seem to be a little above 0C here but snow continues to replace any snowfall that has melted...shouldn't be long before we know what is going to occur with any streamer....

Posted

Well indeed as I said 20 minutes or so ago - I have looked out the window and the dusting that had stuck for a couple of hours has very suddenly completely gone and back to scratch with owt againsad.gif .

It has actually started snowing again, but it is wet and not settling at all. Can't help thinking that by the time the dewpoints drop again in a couple of hours or so - the ppn will have gone from here!

exactly the same here - I'm in Staplehurst at the moment

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Think we'll start to see more scattered heavy snow showers develop in the S N Sea this morning as winds turn more NE and ENE bringing in colder drier air, recent obs in middle of the south N Sea giving DP of -3C/temp 1C (bearing in mind SST around 10C) while DPs are closer to 0C across SE, so colder drier air on the way which will help showers build in from the N Sea like further N across NE and E England.

Still snowing light-moderate here with a gusty wind. Snow has high moisture content sticking to everything despite strong winds.

Posted

Hey everyone in the East and SE, Congratulations on the snowfall!! hope you enjoy it, and there's more on it's way! :D

Had a lot of showers earlier here in Hull, a light dusting that's blown away, just waiting for the showers slightly North of me just push South, then hopefully i

may get a cm. :)

Some of the pics are fantastic, thanks for sharing.

Lewis

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Seems to be settling here now, strange as it's been snowing for the last two hours! :D

Probably down to the warm sector moving away to the SE, colder upper temperatures will be digging in.

Edited by North Londoner