Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

After loads of dithering, and missing me by about 4 miles, there is finally a clump of ppn heading towards me.

Just in time, because the last of the snow on the ground and roofs is about to go.

Have missed the last 30 mins of chat, how are things looking for a Thames streamer???? The winds still look to NE'ly at the moment.

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Have about 4 inches here in Beaconsfield, South Bucks. Everywhere white, was already white before this main snow that started about 4 hours ago or so anyway because we had 3 blizzard-like snow showers in the afternoon-early evening which gave us 1 or 2 cms.

Posted

Longing Sigh! - lovely pic!

40 miles or so NE of you - I have nowt, after a sudden rapid melted dusting from earlier. Forecasters said that snow would be variable tonight and they were not wrong!

Enjoy it - you should get plenty more too by the looks of things!smile.gif

You've got to be kidding me. I would say I'm about 40 miles north east of brighton, and im near the kent border, close to tunbridge wells, and we've been snowing non stop and have several inches. It looks like good snow to me too. Fine and dryish.

Posted

It has definitely gotten colder in the last hour. Before virtually nothing was settling, now all is settling and the snow is not wet. I really hope this continues. Looking at the radar, convection seems to be deveolping in the north sea and pushing westwards through the thames estuary. If it develops into a full blown streamer it would be fantastic. Any of the more informed members on here think this is happening?

Quite possibly. Def convection happening around 50 miles from the mouth of the Thames.

Will be the first to report any snow falling as I'm at the mouth!

EDIT: Here comes the snow again after a dry last hour or so!! Hopefully this IS the Thames Estuary Streamer...

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Radar intensifying off the Essex/Suffolk coasts again.

Some clear skies over me at the moment and finally the wind has eased.

Yes Wind Now ENE In the Estuary and the showers are starting to pile up, if you run the sequence the showers are starting to form in the same place and ever so slowly intensyfying, could be a good un if you are under the stream!

Paul S

Posted

Let's see if this stuff is any colder :wallbash:

I would have thought it was merely elevation - they say center of Chelmsford has 1.5 ins which is not far off what I show in my picture (1 ins?) - compared to 4 ins on the "hills", if Essex can be said to have those.

But... Bradwell and Southend have 3 inches? Doesn't make sense on my theory, unless they had even more PPN... and I had a lot. spectacular and scary with the wind for just a while

Side note - to the north of South Woodham is a hill, called radar hill. wonders if that has micro climate effect?

Essex has 1 hill and that is Danbury! I think it is abount 200m asl. I have always wanted to live there, not just becuase they have more snow in winter!!

Posted

Well it's snowing here again, really blowing a gale out there! 0.1c and hopefully more snow to add to the <1cm we have at the moment.

Definitely a Thames streamer setting up!!!!! :wallbash:

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted

Looks like the hot spot is between North London and up NE towards Norfolk, not quite so much snow either side it has to be said.

Convection in the estuary doesn't look that impressive just yet it has to be said...wish I could stay up but I'm shattered!

Posted

Wind changing slightly and a [Thames] streamer could be about to start.

Will wait up a little longer to see if it does.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Am i in the right place to benefit from the thames streamer please will someone tell me i don't quite know if i am

Assuming it is the Thames streamer that sets up then, no, I don't think it will favour you (it won't me). We need a straight NE'erly (wthout annoying low pressure centres being to close by and patches of less cold air and higher dewpoints ruining things)

The LP being too close and the troughs too far NW of our region is what is causing the problem

There is a chance that later tomorrow as the ppn bands finally make their way SE'wards that southern and eastern mosts parts of the region may see some more proper snow, but we will have to see. Fingers crossed that we at least get something!smile.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Started snowing again in Southend.

Paul, here comes the streamer (hopefully)...

:whistling:

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Sky News has gone off-air cc_confused.gifcc_confused.gif

Has something happened in London

Seems to work for me

and i cant see them having had much snow so far. They aren't that far away from me.

Posted

I think i am going to stay up all night and see how the showers in the estuary develop. Based on your predictions do you think Gravesend NW Kent would get anything significant from these showers. (potential thames streamer)

thanks rolleyes.gif

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

You've got to be kidding me. I would say I'm about 40 miles north east of brighton, and im near the kent border, close to tunbridge wells, and we've been snowing non stop and have several inches. It looks like good snow to me too. Fine and dryish.

Good for you - I was giving the distance in relation to where I am a few other are

Posted

Still lightly snowing here! Sitting here in the warm whilst my other half tries (in vain) to reverse the car up the drive!! 20 minutes he's been at it now!!

Lots of tell tale dripping though :whistling:

Hope its not all gone by the morning!

Posted

Looks like the hot spot is between North London and up NE towards Norfolk, not quite so much snow either side it has to be said.

Convection in the estuary doesn't look that impressive just yet it has to be said...wish I could stay up but I'm shattered!

Some decent snow now coming through the wash KW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Which areas usually do well from a Thames Streamer? (I did well in Feb) I live in north Surrey, or SW London, close to Sunbury, west of Epsom

Posted

Sky News has gone off-air cc_confused.gifcc_confused.gif

Has something happened in London

Not as far as I know. Sky News working here o.k. But even after the last quite heavy shower we still have only an inch of Snow!

Was hoping for more which is why I am keeping an eye out for a streamer. :whistling:

Posted

The snowflakes are beginning to get bigger and can see a heavier patch of ppn heading towards me, which is great for the moment, but concerned that the low will be moving too fast to maintain the ENE'ly to really get a Thames streamer going, lets hope it does though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Some decent snow now coming through the wash KW.

Nothing here got within 7 miles