Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 9

Posted

Still no sign of the streamer, winds do look close to being right for it now so will be very much a wait and see set-up over the next 3hrs or so. Anyway we still have a very convective flow, asn't really stopped snowing here since it started though its been very variable in strength, though it doesn't seem to have been adding depth, more then likely all its doing is replacing the slowly melting snow...

Posted

thanks for the update. Feel a little disappointed with the current depth. so fingers crossed it comes off.

What you got?

I have about 2" maybe 2.5" now. Not bad and can't complain really, this close to the N.Sea.

Still no sign of the streamer, winds do look close to being right for it now so will be very much a wait and see set-up over the next 3hrs or so. Anyway we still have a very convective flow, asn't really stopped snowing here since it started though its been very variable in strength, though it doesn't seem to have been adding depth, more then likely all its doing is replacing the slowly melting snow...

Yeah. Was hoping it would of showed it's hand by now. But alas at the mouth of the Thames, light snow on and off.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Has anyone noticed the band above ipswich turn from a northerly flow and now following the coast of suffolk? quite high intensity by the looks of it.

Just noticed it on the Met Office rainfall radar?

Could this bring further snowfall.cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

We are off to bed...it is still snowing here in Leighton Buzzard..will wait now to see what the morning brings..will the kids get their las day at school...no one seems to want to give me a clue on here!!x

Posted

Looks like the band to the north of Essex is showing the first real signs of switching oreintation, this suggests that as the low pulls away its going to drag this front southwards, so convective showers continue to strengthen as higher forcing comes down again, this is good as it means more heavier snow on its way southwards...

Posted

Think that's my lot for here.

Streamer unlikely down the Thames I feel.

Oh well, cannot complain, got a couple of inches here and was great seeing the blizzards and thundersnow earlier.

Hopefully a couple more cm's will fall before morning.

Night all.

Roll on Sat night, when we could see a little more from the North..

EDIT: Kold, your gonna make me stay up a little longer now! :D

Beeb graphics seem to suggest more snow from 3am here until about 8am... :D

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

pressing on for 8 inches now, quite incredible TBH!! Talk about a Thames streamer we have had a three counties streamer :D

Bit of a problem though in Bedford where I teach they have very little snow and we have all this, may make not going in tomorrow interesting as will anyone at work believe me???

Still snowing even now! :D

Posted

Anyone in North Essex or East Suffolk? Looking bad on the radar again in those areas

I'm in Silver End (near Witham) in Essex and looks like I'm just about to be under a dark pink blob according to the NW radar.

Snowing lightly here now, will let you know if it gets any heavier....... really hope it does! I should be asleep now so I can get up for the school run, everything crossed for a 'snow day' here!

Posted

Looks like the band to the north of Essex is showing the first real signs of switching oreintation, this suggests that as the low pulls away its going to drag this front southwards, so convective showers continue to strengthen as higher forcing comes down again, this is good as it means more heavier snow on its way southwards...

Do you think the intensity could build further on its way southwards? and also how long would it take to arrive in NW Kent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Im in Leighton Buzzard sno problem! Been out makins snow angels etc...but really want to know if more on the way?

You should be getting a decent stream of ppn where you are, but you could just be a few miles too North/South to be getting the consistent stuff.

Looks like you have done well already, whereas it has pretty well stopped here.

(Sorry Meltz, took me a while to get back to you, was finally managing to eat something...Have been sitting in front of the laptop for hours and forgot the basics of maintaining life, like eating!)

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Exactly the same here, not sure what temps are currently but imagine we are in the warmer sector now.

Posted

I'm in Silver End (near Witham) in Essex and looks like I'm just about to be under a dark pink blob according to the NW radar.

Snowing lightly here now, will let you know if it gets any heavier....... really hope it does! I should be asleep now so I can get up for the school run, everything crossed for a 'snow day' here!

I see Justine who lives in Witham posted some pics on TWO. Total was 10CM there which is rather impressive shok.gif

Looking tasty on radar near you... enjoy!

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

pressing on for 8 inches now, quite incredible TBH!! Talk about a Thames streamer we have had a three counties streamer :D

Bit of a problem though in Bedford where I teach they have very little snow and we have all this, may make not going in tomorrow interesting as will anyone at work believe me???

Still snowing even now! :D

Not far behind here in East Herts, snowfall is amazing and must be approaching 15cm.

Edited by North Londoner

Exactly the same here, not sure what temps are currently but imagine we are in the warmer sector now.

I think we have had about 5 inches here in bex- pity its all compacted & wet into about 1 sqashed inch-

However I think things are finally into our favour-- dry snow falling again- lost the drip drip sound as well-

Steve

Posted

finally got a icing sugar covering in canterbury and its coming down hard but fine fine flakes.... and wind is very gusty, blowing it about,

still lots of showers in the north sea to come, and hopeful the front will move SE soon so we get heavier bursts like other have got!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

The snow is really coming down still and the wind stil strong too...off to bed..thanks all...see what tmz bringsx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

OK, guess I will not be able to sleep anyway, so gonna make myself a drink and give it another hour :drinks: here's to the first event of winter 2009/10 and bring on the ppn!

Posted

I think we have had about 5 inches here in bex- pity its all compacted & wet into about 1 sqashed inch-

However I think things are finally into our favour-- dry snow falling again- lost the drip drip sound as well-

Steve

Excellent Steve.

Looks pretty quiet in the N.Sea now?

radar

Are these bands due to move back SE Steve?

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Do you think the intensity could build further on its way southwards? and also how long would it take to arrive in NW Kent

What we are seeing now is the front is allowing for a more condusive set-up for convection to develop, you can watch the radar in the last hour and see what has happened to the showers as the frontal system to the north dips slowly southwards, this process should also carry on for a good few hours yet and I'd suspect another 5-8cms is possible from that band if it carries on developing, though the models forecast quite rapid weakening tomorrow morning.

Posted

Excellent Steve.

Looks pretty quiet in the N.Sea now?

radar

Are these bands due to move back SE Steve?

That radar is very wrong as the radar sites are located way into Holland and it misses out stuff on the edges.

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html

^^ Shows masses of activity in the Southern North Sea

Posted

Yes we're definitely having a quiet moment here (near Tunbridge Wells). But it looks as if showers might be coming to life off the eastern coast of Kent and generally in that part of the North Sea. Hopefully they'll eventually start pushing inland, in which case there could be more to come.

I'm going to wait up until I have a better idea what's on its way, and if it looks serious, I'll prob hang around for that.

Posted

Currently experiencing an amazing snow storm.

I was actually asleep but the sound of the wind and snow woke me up. I would say in the space of 20mins at least a couple of inches has fallen. The snow is that heavy you can't make out the flakes as its a mass of white. The Wash streamer has certainly kicked off!