Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The band of snow over northern Essex is definitely moving south at quite a rapid rate towards south Essex and London. The showers along the suffolk/essex coast also seem to be pepping up and moving SW. Could see a bit more snow yet.

However, for us tonight the snow really has been reluctant to settle to any appreciable amounts. Only have a 2cm dusting. After all the falling snow we've had its a shame such a thin layer has stuck around. Just imagine if it was a bit colder. We could have had about 8 inches in London with the amount that has fallen tonight.

Posted

Just as I was about to turn in. Heavy snow falling now!

Hopefully it will repair the patch which just fell off my car bonnet! :drinks:

:drunk:

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Its not even so much the Wash streamer but instead the frontal system itself that is giving you decent snowfall. Indeed it really seems to have stalled now, this is about as far west and north as it'll get, the front to its south is already showing slow southward motion towards Essex again so should't be long before your front starts to withdraw but you've still got a good few hours of heavy snow yet it seems....

The band of snow over northern Essex is definitely moving south at quite a rapid rate towards south Essex and London. The showers along the suffolk/essex coast also seem to be pepping up and moving SW. Could see a bit more snow yet.

However, for us tonight the snow really has been reluctant to settle to any appreciable amounts. Only have a 2cm dusting. After all the falling snow we've had its a shame such a thin layer has stuck around. Just imagine if it was a bit colder. We could have had about 8 inches in London with the amount that has fallen tonight.

Yeah it's pulling southwards now...

If there is a chance of a streamer, now is the time, forcing should be increasing so convection will slowly be pepping up along the thames anyway as it has done recently a little further north, winds look decent so its a case of watch and see.

Posted

Very heavy snow again, looks like non-stop for a good few hours again.

Dewpoint has dropped by around 1C in the last hour and wind is calm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

I think we have had about 5 inches here in bex- pity its all compacted & wet into about 1 sqashed inch-

However I think things are finally into our favour-- dry snow falling again- lost the drip drip sound as well-

Steve

Spot on, the snow has dried out and the flakes, which are now merrily falling again, are getting bigger and starting to settle.

Temp approx 0.5ºc ...I wish I could give accurate temps, but I am surrounded by buildings and would be way off generally

Posted

Its not even so much the Wash streamer but instead the frontal system itself that is giving you decent snowfall. Indeed it really seems to have stalled now, this is about as far west and north as it'll get, the front to its south is already showing slow southward motion towards Essex again so should't be long before your front starts to withdraw but you've still got a good few hours of heavy snow yet it seems....

The front pretty much died out on me, thats why I went to bed. However the current crop of heavy snow showers are definately moving NE-NW through the wash.

Heavens knows what snowfall totals I will reach even if this lasts 2hrs!!

Why does this sort of thing always happens in the middle of the night. I swore never to stay up all night ever again. :drinks:

Posted

If there is a chance of a streamer, now is the time, forcing should be increasing so convection will slowly be pepping up along the thames anyway as it has done recently a little further north, winds look decent so its a case of watch and see.

You tease you :drinks:

Why does this sort of thing always happens in the middle of the night. I swore never to stay up all night ever again. :drunk:

Famous last words eh? You KNOW you love it.

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I think we have had about 5 inches here in bex- pity its all compacted & wet into about 1 sqashed inch-

However I think things are finally into our favour-- dry snow falling again- lost the drip drip sound as well-

Steve

Same here up the hill in Erith. Much finer in texture and its looking like more to come from the Estuary, Thames streamer I wonder?

Posted

Can confirm over 1000 homes are without power in the local area as EDF have had to perform emergency isolation.

No mobile phone networks at all as the mast on the hill is without power too.

Posted

Coming down nicely again and repairing the tyre tracks some selfish cars have made down my road. Looks like another few hours of snow to come yet. :drinks:

Posted

Snow still soldiering on here. Not as intense as it was but still moderate at least. Have done better than I originally thought I would do out of this event tonight! Another bonus is that I have tomorrow off work!

:drinks:

Posted

Same here up the hill in Erith. Much finer in texture and its looking like more to come from the Estuary, Thames streamer I wonder?

That looks like its intensifying quite a lot,looking good :drinks:

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Pic after just 10mins of snow starting to fall.

TEITS, total respect to you mate, I remember you (and a few other members) stating something like this could happen about three weeks ago. One of the best posters on here and I have learnt a lot from you.

Cheers! :drinks:

NB - Must be about 15cm here now, although its very rural and high up here, so always a big bonus.

Edited by North Londoner

Posted

What a truely awful night :drinks:

We have had heavy snow just to our west all evening and even heavier snow just to our north, but for love nor money it will not come near us. Very pitiful amounts around here. I know it comes down to the luck of the draw and all that, but some places just seem to get lucky every single time. Feeling very downbeat at the moment and have to be up for work at 7.

Enjoy it guys, you are very lucky and I'm very jealous.

Posted

Surely we need just a tad more Easterly to get a TS right now, but the last radar is showing a build up in the estuary.

Posted

Pic after just 10mins of snow starting to fall.

post-1766-12611056694871_thumb.jpg

Big old flakes Dave,like fifty pence pieces,that wont take long like that, for a fair old covering

Posted

TEITS, total respect to you mate, I remember you (and a few other members) stating something like this could happen about three weeks ago. One of the best posters on here and I have learnt a lot from you.

Cheers! :drinks:

Cheers mate although I might of got lucky with my forecast.

Have to say im very relieved as I had a dreadful feeling I was going to miss the snow. However fair play to the GFS as it was spot on for my region.

Posted

To those questions- I dont think its a streamer as such at the moment- just some good convection- whatever though im taking it-

moderate to heavy snow falling- more brewing to the east-

Steve

Just checked the 3.00am radar and its certainly looking good to the E for you.