Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 9

Posted

Met Office have upgraded Saturday night and Monday on their website for both EA and SE

Saturday:

Staying cold. Some sunshine on Saturday, particularly during the morning, but with further wintry showers at times during the afternoon. Hard overnight frost with snow possible. Maximum temperature 0 °C.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Staying cold but with decent spells of sunshine. Risk of an occasional shower on Sunday, and some more general snow on Monday. Hard overnight frosts.

clap.gifclap.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hi Steve,

Not a streamer in the classic sense. Read your post and sure enough snow a bit heavier here now in Lee, having leapt over Shooters Hill!

Still think we have a window of a few more hours yet, perhaps until 8/9 a.m.

Last BBC forecast I saw showed snow still falling just south of the Thames and down to the Kent/Sussex coast, by mid-afternoon. Whats your take on that?

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Just checked the 3.00am radar and its certainly looking good to the E for you.

Most certainly pepping up,i know you tend to read more into a shower when its heading your way but they are defiantly showing more ooomph :drinks::drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

What a truely awful night :drinks:

We have had heavy snow just to our west all evening and even heavier snow just to our north, but for love nor money it will not come near us. Very pitiful amounts around here. I know it comes down to the luck of the draw and all that, but some places just seem to get lucky every single time. Feeling very downbeat at the moment and have to be up for work at 7.

Enjoy it guys, you are very lucky and I'm very jealous.

We haven't been lucky compared to a lot of people, but the forecasts always showed that we might do as well as other parts of the ~SE, but there are still a few hours of snow to come, and it does actually look like the ppn in Essex will reach us properly this time, not skirt south with the low lik earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Just checked the 3.00am radar and its certainly looking good to the E for you.

Im at Bicester and its been 5 miles from there all night

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Couldnt get on line for 1hr

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Can confirm over 1000 homes are without power in the local area as EDF have had to perform emergency isolation.

No mobile phone networks at all as the mast on the hill is without power too.

How awful, guessing that was the problem here earlier, lights flashing for a couple of hours but thankfully is o.k now.

Being without power when it's so cold is a nightmare esp for the elderly and infirm.

Hope they fix it soon.

Just waiting for the next blob which looks to hit me soon, then must sleep, my Bed is shouting at me now. lol

Edited by cj114

Hi Steve,

Not a streamer in the classic sense. Read your post and sure enough snow a bit heavier here now in Lee, having leapt over Shooters Hill!

Still think we have a window of a few more hours yet, perhaps until 8/9 a.m.

Last BBC forecast I saw showed snow still falling just south of the Thames and down to the Kent/Sussex coast, by mid-afternoon. Whats your take on that?

Regards,

Tom.

yeah ~I think it does snow ( showers ) all the way to tomorrow lunch-im hoping to get to around 5cm ....

radar watching out to essex at the moment- some lovely showers-just hoping they make it without dying- thats the issue with the current wind direction- the showers are off the n.sea not the thames.....

Steve

Posted

Met Office have upgraded Saturday night and Monday on their website for both EA and SE

Saturday:

Staying cold. Some sunshine on Saturday, particularly during the morning, but with further wintry showers at times during the afternoon. Hard overnight frost with snow possible. Maximum temperature 0 °C.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Staying cold but with decent spells of sunshine. Risk of an occasional shower on Sunday, and some more general snow on Monday. Hard overnight frosts.

clap.gifclap.gif

Yeah, whats the deal with Monday? Do we have a channel low type setup?

Return to zonal dross after leading edge snow?

Thought's anyone?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

snow has moved in from essex now. moderate falls at the moment with some big flakes. hopefully the start of a few more hours of snow

Posted

Cheers mate although I might of got lucky with my forecast.

Have to say im very relieved as I had a dreadful feeling I was going to miss the snow. However fair play to the GFS as it was spot on for my region.

Maybe a touch of luck but no more than that!! You are one of the people I watch out for to read when things get interesting, Summer or Winter.

Thank you.

Posted

whilst im waiting for the next band to see what that delievers, and as teits and steve murr are about, just wondering what both of u think of the models at the mo, and any other events over the weekend and the lead up to xmas??

Posted

snow has moved in from essex now. moderate falls at the moment with some big flakes. hopefully the start of a few more hours of snow

I'm South west Essex on the Greater London Border, that is what I am waiting for too!!!

Posted

Hi everyone.

Some good snowfall in East Sussex tonight. Started snowing about 8pm in Brighton after a few snow showers in the afternoon and snowed heavily for 5 hours. Spontaneous snowball fights breaking out everywhere! I'd estimate 2-3 inches has fallen here and that's pretty near ground level. I've heard conditions in Lewes and the surrounding villages are considerably worse.

Posted

Maybe a touch of luck but no more than that!! You are one of the people I watch out for to read when things get interesting, Summer or Winter.

Thank you.

Have to agree there, TEITS is a bit of a legend in my view, have learned a **ck load off not only him, but some of the other class members, some of which are online now...You know who you are, and thanks!

Posted

whilst im waiting for the next band to see what that delievers, and as teits and steve murr are about, just wondering what both of u think of the models at the mo, and any other events over the weekend and the lead up to xmas??

Probably turning less cold just before the big day. However there is still some uncertainity at the moment and to be honest I don't have much faith in the model output at the moment.

Still I reckon those who recieve some deep snowfall tonight and into the weekend have a good chance of retaining some of this lying snow until xmas day. At least it will feel seasonal.

Posted

Hi everyone.

Some good snowfall in East Sussex tonight. Started snowing about 8pm in Brighton after a few snow showers in the afternoon and snowed heavily for 5 hours. Spontaneous snowball fights breaking out everywhere! I'd estimate 2-3 inches has fallen here and that's pretty near ground level. I've heard conditions in Lewes and the surrounding villages are considerably worse.

Snow been 5 miles away last few hrs , might get something if Peterborugh passes some over

Posted

Yeah, whats the deal with Monday? Do we have a channel low type setup?

Return to zonal dross after leading edge snow?

Thought's anyone?

oh no,i was in my own winter world till mentioned zonal dross,such a long time watching this come over the horizon,then back to the drawing board nurturing another cold spell through the pit falls and side tracks,hard old game this :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

That looks like its intensifying quite a lot,looking good :(

Its all heading South though now rather quickly, would have prefered a ENE track, oh well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I'm South west Essex on the Greater London Border, that is what I am waiting for too!!!

im in ilford, just down the road from woodford green! it should be snowing where you are too

Posted

We haven't been lucky compared to a lot of people, but the forecasts always showed that we might do as well as other parts of the ~SE, but there are still a few hours of snow to come, and it does actually look like the ppn in Essex will reach us properly this time, not skirt south with the low lik earlier.

Is Oxford South East , got first flakes of snow 0.00001mm ok of to bed now

Posted

im in ilford, just down the road from woodford green! it should be snowing where you are too

So has it started there? I have been waiting for that band of showers to start reaching London, yet another reason to stay up even longer. It would be great to see another decent shower before finally succumbing to sleep, even though it looks better for me now than it has for a few hours. AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!

Posted

It is! Hooray! just a shower by the looks of it though. How much has Ilford got?

Posted

Really heavy now. Giant flakes 1" in diameter. Heads up those SW of me...

Edited by LeighShrimper