Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The heavy band of snow currently over essex/south suffolk definitely is moving more south, looks due to hit north kent soon, maybe even pepping up as the land increases in height and showers gain moisture over the water...a good few inches I think from this one line alone

PS - I lvoe that fact that I am sitting in Canada not caring what it does out my window, but find the snow synopsis in England fascinating....here's to more snow!!

i agree. seems as though most of its going to hit north kent. probably wont see too much more in this area tonight in that case. snow is easing off now gain.

Posted

Hi Steve

Hope you don't mind me asking, do you think we are in for much more? Only have got father in laws funeral today and was just wondering whats going to happen?!! Its at Eltham Crem.

Thanks Fiona

Posted

Yeah but it doesnt excite half as much as when it snows in England

True. We only need a quarter of an inch for the Country to fall apart. We are so rubbish at it. Even in the 80's when every winter had loads of Snow the Country fell apart.

Like my Kids who are all old enough to know better, sit in T shirts and tell me how cold they are!!

I do point out that if they were wearing jumpers in the Summer, they would complain about being too warm!!!

To no avail though.

I think because our Weather is just so odd compared to everywhere else we are never ready for anything. lol :(

Posted

We haven't been lucky compared to a lot of people, but the forecasts always showed that we might do as well as other parts of the ~SE, but there are still a few hours of snow to come, and it does actually look like the ppn in Essex will reach us properly this time, not skirt south with the low lik earlier.

I feel your pain Sno. However just after I posted that rant it snowed steadily for about 20 mins and added a bit of depth so things may be looking up for us.

What I would give for a stiff ENE'ly right now, all the components are there, just a slight variation in the wind and i get a dumping.

EDIT: At least it has started snowing lightly again, was beginning to go a bit :(

This so called Thames Streamer looks to be enlarging with beefier showers building even to the north of the estuary. The sooner this low moves south, the better it looks for London.

Edited by Mikel Nimbus

Posted

it is as far west as salisbury plain at the min

How far is that from you then??miles wise?

Edited by TN9

Posted

Looks like its snowing nicely near the top of Blue Bell Hill in North Kent (approx 550ft ASL) right where I used to live..funny in the space of 5 mins I refreshed and was about to say the roads look in good shape, but the differnce in 5 mins is amazing...starting to cover now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/webcams/camera.shtml?h=han&camid=18522&region=TQ&mapregion=bbc_new_southeast

Hi Steve

Hope you don't mind me asking, do you think we are in for much more? Only have got father in laws funeral today and was just wondering whats going to happen?!! Its at Eltham Crem.

Thanks Fiona

Hi Fiona- welcome to NW-

you will be going to falconwood I think-

Looking at things with an unbiased eye- its beginning to wind down now- I think we have another hour or so & ever so slowly things will peter out-

It will be snowy today up at falconwood,but quite damp & wet- the grass will be covered-

wrap up warm lots of layers ( ears & head as well) & hope it goes as well as possible-

Steve

Posted

Blimey just woke up after a nightmare when I thought all the snow had been washed away as rain arrived ! . Glad to see it was a dream. Still snowing here a lot as I look bleay eyed at the screen.

Posted

If mr Snowray is right,cause your a few miles ssw of me it might cop you the hardest,think we will all get something around here but its just the way the cookie crumbles really :(

If I was a few miles ssw I'd be feeling a tad more confident right now. I'm actually a few miles sse. But we'll see. These fronts have to be dragged back at some point. And I fancy some of these showers have got to penetrate the south eastern corner at some point.

Anyway, anyone else looked at the 00z. Fantastic for the south east. It gives us a chance of snow through monday. Blues on the ppn map and 850s sub -5. It would be marginal being day time and with the retreating cooler air. Very marginal. But any kind of lengthy drying flow over France and given very cold surface temps here, it could just be a third event we have lined up (Saturday night is a certainty I reckon).

Ok ok I'm getting carried away, but it is somewhat exciting.

Posted

Wow..a few main motorways closed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/local/kent.shtml

No surprise there then. I actually own a crash barrier at that junction. Had a crash a few years ago and was billed for a new one!!

Burst tyre, probably the scariest moment of my driving life. Esp when doing 80. :(

Posted

that line coming in across Kings Lynn and SWwards is a trough isnt it ? I'm hoping this is embeded in the flow and will nose into my area soon (cirencester)

I know .. wrong area! but your all still awake on this thread

Posted

If I was a few miles ssw I'd be feeling a tad more confident right now. I'm actually a few miles sse. But we'll see. These fronts have to be dragged back at some point. And I fancy some of these showers have got to penetrate the south eastern corner at some point.

Anyway, anyone else looked at the 00z. Fantastic for the south east. It gives us a chance of snow through monday. Blues on the ppn map and 850s sub -5. It would be marginal being day time and with the retreating cooler air. Very marginal. But any kind of lengthy drying flow over France and given very cold surface temps here, it could just be a third event we have lined up (Saturday night is a certainty I reckon).

Keeping my fingers crossed on that one. Have a big Family meet on Sat so hoping everyone can make it.

Otherwise posting the presents will cost about a Billion quid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

No surprise there then. I actually own a crash barrier at that junction. Had a crash a few years ago and was billed for a new one!!

Burst tyre, probably the scariest moment of my driving life. Esp when doing 80. :wallbash:

HAHAHA! Glad to see you survived. Did you have an unveiling ceremony! :lol:

Posted

Looks like its snowing nicely near the top of Blue Bell Hill in North Kent (approx 550ft ASL) right where I used to live..

http://www.bbc.co.uk...c_new_southeast

Me too,did you drink in the upper bell,or the Robin hood,was living there in1987,up to my waist it was,good memories from there,changed alot now though :wallbash:

Posted

Hi Fiona- welcome to NW-

you will be going to falconwood I think-

Looking at things with an unbiased eye- its beginning to wind down now- I think we have another hour or so & ever so slowly things will peter out-

It will be snowy today up at falconwood,but quite damp & wet- the grass will be covered-

wrap up warm lots of layers ( ears & head as well) & hope it goes as well as possible-

Steve

Thanks Steve, I think you are right, am giving up and hitting the sack now.

Fiona, hope everything is o.k for tomorrow. Funerals are bad enough without the added problems of weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Come on Low...Move bloody South!!!

Posted

Me too,did you drink in the upper bell,or the Robin hood,was living there in1987,up to my waist it was,good memories from there,changed alot now though :wallbash:

I used to go down Walderslade village as most of my friends lived there, so drank in the Sherwood, but quote regular I'd be in the robin hood. I lived there in 1987 too, got pictures, it was about 3 feet...prob never see that again in england in my lifetime...amazing event

I was back at Christmas last year...nearly got lost on the monster of a roundabout lol

Posted

HAHAHA! Glad to see you survived. Did you have an unveiling ceremony! :wallbash:

No but we always salute it when we go past. lol

Considering I got the Car down to 30 when we crashed the damage was small in my opinion, but they insisted on a new one.

Always crash in a BMW, it does exactly what is says on the tin. Any other Car and we would all be dead now.

Plus, run flat tyres, I would never use anything else now.

Nite Nite all.

Hope you all get more Snow for tomorrow.

Posted

lesson of the day. When up to stupid hours watching the snow and decide to go out for a sneaky cig, don't, when hearing 'drip, drip, drip' stand under the conservatory. A large amount of thawing snow will slide off the glass roof and bury your head in snow!

Posted

Sorry i ment sse ,still looks ok though i think,cause it looks to be turning more broadside instead of a line/ stream,means we all get a bit instead of one place getting buried :wallbash: