Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 9

Posted

Wow, I wasn't expecting to pull an all nighter on here but somehow I have. And thank the lord, my workplace is closed (one of the benefits of working in a school). :)

May take a little drive down to Kent as I'm missing out up here. :wub:

Come up to St.Albans! Plenty of snow here! But watch the roads! Very dangerous.

Posted

Any pro's about to comment on the swathe of cloud in the S N.Sea?

It certainly is confusing - decent cloud on http://www.sat24.nl/Region.aspx?country=nl&sat=ir&type=loop but no precipitation on http://www.meteox.nl/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=250&y=221

Posted

Does anyone have any thoughts about the next wave in the day there is certainly things looking interesting in Europe that I like the look of. And finding interesting how its forming up for the south east.

sure is, I like the movement of the activity over the low countries in Europe and there seems to be a lot of things going on in the chart. All I know is that here on at Whitstable, Kent we only got a few cm's in teh past hour an half, that damn wind last night would not change until it was too late!

Posted

Come up to St.Albans! Plenty of snow here! But watch the roads! Very dangerous.

Really? That is painfully close to here yet we missed out big time. Congrats anyway and enjoy.

Or Cambridge!! Hopefully I will get the day off!!!

If saint is telling porkies, I'll make my way there. :)

Edited by Mikel Nimbus

Posted

Really? That is painfully close to here yet we missed out big time. Congrats anyway and enjoy.

If saint is telling porkies, I'll make my way there. :)

Trust me I aint telling porkies!:wub:

Posted

I do like what is happening on the satellite and charts, plus radar, there is a lot of moisture out there it is now a case of tracking it and as soon as it hits that north sea it will with grow.

Edited by PureOcean

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

Just woke up here in Ware, got about 3/4 cm , bit disappointed, was hoping to take the kids sledging , what is the current & future situation for Hertfordshire as here we seem to be i a clear spell as i can see the stars

Posted

Snow has come through the bottom of my front door.:wub:

I think it's drifitng up against it!

Just woke up here in Ware, got about 3/4 cm , bit disappointed, was hoping to take the kids sledging , what is the current & future situation for Hertfordshire as here we seem to be i a clear spell as i can see the stars

I'm really suprised how much you have and how much we have!:)

Posted

Just took the dog for a walk here in Fakenham, N Norfolk, and there has been 4-5" generally and drifts above my wellies so about 16-20" drifts. It was very windy though last night, gusting above 45mph last night. :D:) :wub:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Okay, I think we can safely now conclude that melt/marginality is a feature of tonight's action which has nethertheless been exciting due to potency...

And, we can probably conclude that the marginality is due to the fact this has occured in December while SST of the North Sea is still 10-11C.

Let's knock a few degrees off of that and try again... in January or Feb.

What total ••••s. Here in Suffolk it's still December and it's still -1.6 ° C!:)

The slight thaw was caused by proximity to the center of the low — from about 8:30 to midnight, temperatures rose by a degree or two as the low passed by to our east and the snow stopped, picking up again at midnight and continuing for another 3–4 hours when the low had moved away slightly. We are 45 miles from the coast!

Furthermore, it started snowing on 26th December 1962 and we hung onto lying snow until March — and I was only 15 miles from the sea in Sussex — didn't seem to affect it then.

Posted

whats the weather like in Southend?

5 or 6 cm on ground (Im couple miles nth of Southend), and its snowing.harder bits as can hear it on the conservatory!

Posted

Just took the dog for a walk here in Fakenham, N Norfolk, and there has been 4-5" generally and drifts above my wellies so about 16-20" drifts. It was very windy though last night, gusting above 45mph last night. :yahoo::yahoo: :smiliz19:

How bizarre nothing like that here

Posted

A few flakes falling in Dartford, looks vert icey on the road with vans and cars struggling to climb a very slight incline. Pronably an 1" or so, but seems like it might have melted slightly in night as thought there was more when i went to bad. Wind appears to have dropped, thimk i will work from home today. Might we expect somemkore today / tomorrow as i was wondering what the chances of the big game going ahead tomorrow (Charlton v Millwall)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

morning, we had about 3 cm overnight most of it came before midnight. Some more on the radar just about to arrive temps are better now -0.3 c dew -1.5c :yahoo:

Posted

Woke up this morning, not sure what I would find outside, and was pleasantly surprised to see most of last night's snow cover remains in tact. 3cm here, not as much as places further southwest, but given its December and it was a marginal event, I am more than happy. Plus there is the prospect of further snowfall later today. :yahoo:

Posted

Looking at the radar at the moment there's nothing anywhere near us, think we may have to wait till the sun comes up to kick anything more off

Posted

Just been rudely awoken by Thundersnow, In fact this felt like a proper Summer Thunderstorm with rumbles every few minutes and the usual Blue Lightning.

We have about 4" further up the road from Southend, cannot see the kerb anymore and some of the drifts are about 5" in places, so a good 10-12cm at present.

It looks fantastic and will get some more pics for you guys, the trees look like an Alpine Ski Resort.

Paul S