Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 9

Posted

Snow seems to be getting heavier in Northampton and accumulating fast now. Flash warning has been issued for the period 0800-0000 across the county for more heavy snow. Looks like the "worst" [best] could coincide with the morning rush hour.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

Yeah!!:cc_confused:

I'm glad St. Albans has altitude, seems to have helped us a lot! Compared to depths in other parts of Herts.

And I'm glad I live on a hill, means I can't get to work!

Despite only being 11m ASL, I do well with snow, luckily I didnt have any power cuts last night! Flash warnings issued for EA until midnight with the prospect of more snow here!!!! :lol:

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

I must have 2 or 3 inches here in north london. IM pretty hhappy with that. But i what i found intresting is that the bbc weather has said 10-15 cm more snow likely over some areas today. MY guess perhaps around northwest kent and south east london but the snow did look to hit most ares today so more snow for many:)

Also, looks, like some snow for saturday night.:)

Hardly any down here in Peckham Rye, weird how south London doesn't seem to have any more than 1cm and even then it's patchy, hopefully we'll get some more today, but will it settle? :o

Edited by Jezzer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.

Morning from a crisp, white St. Ives :o,

Everywhere around here looks lovely, although the large grassy area in front of the houses has been 'decorated' with large phallic symbols - ooerr Matron :)

Posted

Virtually nothing here just 4 miles north west of Norwich. Strangeness. What has fallen is now frozen so local roads will be interesting regardless. Doesnt look like we will get any today either.

I'm in Taverham too. I know, we have no more than what we got last night. Not that I was expecting any more, because I looked at the radar before I went to sleep. A little snow is better than none though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

not much here Iam a bit dissapointed especially seeing lots of well snowy photos from places only a few miles away hope for some more later on.

Posted

Luton council has 5 gritters out, is that really enough for a town the size of Luton?

I haven't really seen any in St. Albans.

Let the snow stay is all I say :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

about 15cm's here in Gravesend East this morning.

Temp -0.3 DP -0.9

Posted

Well bit of a surprise, sky went Orange and it started to snow hard again, where cars have moved all covered now about 2" but last nights snow seems to be well frozen, so perhaps minimal thaw today, if i am correct tat readimg the radar then this could last some time, hope so anyway, poor wife got to walk to work should be fun as it's downhill all the way.

Posted

I'm in Taverham too. I know, we have no more than what we got last night. Not that I was expecting any more, because I looked at the radar before I went to sleep. A little snow is better than none though.

After all the hype in the past few days i thought it would be more widespread but its defiantly very local. I left Guildford last night to get home before the 'bad' weather got here and the worst area i saw was around Duxford/Newmarket.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

not much here Iam a bit dissapointed especially seeing lots of well snowy photos from places only a few miles away hope for some more later on.

yep, it's frustrating isn't it, not sure how we missed out, plenty of heavy snow last night but seems to have thawed. Did you have heavy snow last night Mike?

Posted

Well bit of a surprise, sky went Orange and it started to snow hard again, where cars have moved all covered now about 2" but last nights snow seems to be well frozen, so perhaps minimal thaw today, if i am correct tat readimg the radar then this could last some time, hope so anyway, poor wife got to walk to work should be fun as it's downhill all the way.

Im still waiting for that cell to arrive kerry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Very nice!!!! A small amount in the middle of the evening and now a more sustained period of snow! I don't have to go to work today (chaos apparently in Mid Sussex), so plenty of playtime and photography for me. :o

Morning dear!

Went to bed about 1.30 last night dissapointed as it was raining then and melting the snow, started again about 6.30 and we have a nice covering now. Looks like thats it for a bit down here but pleasantly suprised. 0.5c back down from 2.0c last night and dp's of -1.3.

Fingers crossed for more popping up on the radar.

Posted
Snow set to disrupt travellers across much of the UK

Weather forecast for heavy snowfall

Travellers are facing severe transport disruption as heavy snow falls across much of the UK, with south-east and north-east England worst affected. The Met Office issued severe warnings for heavy snowfall in those two areas, London and the East Midlands.

Up to 20cm (8in) is possible in Kent, Sussex, Surrey, London and East Anglia, with gale-force winds causing drifts. About 200 drivers on the M20 and M2 in Kent were stuck in tailbacks overnight and flights have also been diverted. And Essex police said there had been 180 snow-related incidents. It said none of the incidents was serious but they had received reports of drivers sleeping in cars and vehicles being abandoned.

Conditions are expected to be at their worst in much of the UK during the Friday morning rush hour. The weather has already caused transport problems in several parts of the country - particularly in south-east England. A lorry jackknifed on the A21, near Tunbridge Wells, leaving motorists stuck in the snow for three hours. And a 20mph speed limit was put in place on parts of the M1 overnight.

The A1081, which is the main road connecting Luton Airport to the M1, was gridlocked in the early hours of Friday due to the large number of jackknifed vehicles.

And TV presenter Davina McCall was among those stuck on the A21 in Kent for three hours after a lorry blocked the road. She told BBC Radio Five Live: "We got wedged in a whole series of cars and it was pelting down with snow."

Flights and trains were disrupted in London and south-east England and motorists spent hours stranded in their cars in the worst affected areas. A Gatwick Airport spokesman said 16 incoming flights were diverted to other UK airports due to bad weather and three outgoing flights had been cancelled. He said: "Flights are being diverted to Manchester, Birmingham and other airports as a result of the weather," adding that passengers are being bussed back to London. Flights to and from Luton Airport have also been cancelled or diverted. The airport will remain closed until 0700 GMT when the situation will be reviewed.

Driving winds and sub-zero temperatures brought blizzard conditions to much of the UK late on Thursday and in the early hours of Friday. BBC Weather forecaster Sarah Keith-Lucas said: "We have already seen snow arriving across south-east and north-east England." She said the worst affected areas in south-east England were Greater London, Medway and parts of Kent, which are seeing "extremely heavy snowfall".

The forecaster said up to 20cm could fall in the worst-hit parts of south-east England and East Anglia, while up to 15cm could fall overnight on the North York Moors and the Pennines. Met Office severe warnings for heavy snow have also been issued for Yorkshire and Humber. Some 10cm of snow fell on Thursday night in parts of East Anglia, which made driving treacherous. The Met Office said the heaviest snowfall overnight was in Norfolk, Bedford and Buckinghamshire. And a second band is causing severe problems across the Thames Estuary, North Kent and Surrey. Snow also fell in the Brecon area of mid Wales and in the Neath area of south Wales.

Meanwhile, high winds caused snow drifts to form in parts of Cambridgeshire. Snow is also forecast in parts of central and northern England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Conditions in the south east of the country are expected to ease during Friday, with more cold and icy weather predicted for Saturday and Sunday.

Further snow is predicted over the weekend, particularly across the north of the UK. However, the Met Office said it was too early to say whether there would be a white Christmas. A Met Office spokesman said: "Current indications show an ongoing battle between the colder air currently over the UK and milder air pushing in from the west. As a result the forecast for Christmas Day is still too close to call."

news.bbc.co.uk

Posted

Not too good in London to be honest........Bit of settling on side pavements but worse thing its more icy now than snowy which is dangerous.

Overall nothing and too marginal and overhyped as usual for London.

Posted

Morning dear!

Woke at 3am to find the snow had gone from paths and roads but by 7.30am it was well covered again :o

Morning neighbours! If you see someone playing with a 4x4 Nitro RC truck in Friday Street later - do wave won't you?!!!

Posted

yep, it's frustrating isn't it, not sure how we missed out, plenty of heavy snow last night but seems to have thawed. Did you have heavy snow last night Mike?

Only the main band which arrived b4 midnight, I think there was some overnight but some has melted as well... the cells keep missing me by a mile or so :o

Posted

looks like we have about 4-5 inches here! Very nice! No more snow falling yet, might see some more later!

EDIT: I spoke too soon! Just started snowing again

Edited by tcc

Posted

I have just listened to the radio forecast, also watched the TV and stuff, I must be looking at different images than these people is all I can say, because I have totally different conditions forecast this morning for Central to East Kent than what they are predicting.

Does anyone else agree with me, over this?