Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion 9

Posted

Snow getting heavier in Shirley, Croydon

Sounds optomisitic for here shortly... we have around 3 inches I think - I've got to see if I can walk to work in it in a min!! Anyone think that Reigate will get more?

Posted

I have just listened to the radio forecast, also watched the TV and stuff, I must be looking at different images than these people is all I can say, because I have totally different conditions forecast this morning for Central to East Kent than what they are predicting.

Does anyone else agree with me, over this?

It seems if their TV studio has snow, then they automatically assume that there is snow everywhere across the region. That isn't always the case sadly. I feel sorry for the guys in east Kent, and south East Sussex (Rye, Hastings etc). I was only on the far edge of the 'hit spot', and I have about 3/4 inches here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Only the main band which arrived b4 midnight, I think there was some overnight but some has melted as well... the cells keep missing me by a mile or so :(

It was very heavy here in the strong winds but only settled to a couple of cm's. Had started to melt by the time I woke up, very disappointing. Certainly had our fun on Feb 1st I think!

Now just hope this cold spell lasts until Christmas Day, could do with some snow in the Cotswolds when I head home for on Christmas Eve, would be lovely!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Whats London like do people know?

Thankyou

Very little in south east London, seems to have melted too :(

Posted

Good news. I work up near Rochester airport, so a day off for me I think laugh.gif . Down here by the River Medway west of Maidstone, we have 6 inches so lord knows how much you must have on top of the downs.

Mark

It's just about light enough for a pic from down near where I live...

post-9546-12611231180543_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Snow has stopped for now, just went out to measure the snow lying on top of the fence, and it measures 16-17cm (7 inches):

post-1052-12611232137514_thumb.jpg

Posted

Just started to snow quite heavily here atm, although I have to admit to being disapointed that we don't appear to have had anymore since I went to bed around midnight last night. Am stuck at home waiting to find out if my daughters school is opening today as a lot of the teachers probably don't live that local and may not be able to come in - but naturally in situations like this, websites have crashed and the phone number we have been given has been constantly engaged....

Posted

It seems if their TV studio has snow, then they automatically assume that there is snow everywhere across the region. That isn't always the case sadly. I feel sorry for the guys in east Kent, and south East Sussex (Rye, Hastings etc). I was only on the far edge of the 'hit spot', and I have about 3/4 inches here.

Yep, I was listening to Kate forecasting on BBC Radio, I mean she was totally wrong in my opinion about this morning. She said that central and east Kentw will get later on this morning 5 to 10 cm's as the showers push south to south east, well I dont know what radar and satellite she is looking at because it is not the same images we have.... :(

Posted

I hear on the news that Gatwick is closed...

Some flights redirected, but I don't believe it's closed currently

Posted

Some flights redirected, but I don't believe it's closed currently

Yes it is closed flights are suspended at present and diverted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Wattisham (Ipswich) reported 12cm of snow - clear skies at the moment though. The forecasts are all saying more snow through today AND tonight here but I cant' see anything on the radar :S

Posted

London didnt get hit much at all as it was all too marginal in terms of dp's temps etc...It was snowing

on and off from about 8pm last nite until 3am this morning and yet it was very slushy and wet. However seems

colder now and starting to ice on pavements.

As I said suburbs and Home counties hit worse as should be expected :(

Posted

OK guys and Gals lets get this thread back to forecasting the next batch of snow activity, activity offshore clearly evident and also some activity over the weekend. Thoughts anyone...?