Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Temperature is falling again after a brief rise earlier. -3.1c and falling steadily cold.gif

I wonder what delights the pub run will bring us for tomoro evening? 18 inches... shok.giflaugh.gif (rain that is) mega_shok.gif

Other half wants to go to a party with friends down in the levels tomoro and stay night.

I said no chance and miss a mendip blizzard! dry.gif damn i jinxed it now cray.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted

if cornwall aint forecast sleet then it won't here or be rain warm sector is gone by 3am when the front arives richard is talking crap i dont know what he on

either devon weather a cold ramper and richard and mild one look inbetween u get what happens

Posted

dont blame you Steve!!

David even though there is a warm sector the freezing cold air could or might turn the rain into snow..

A point worth remembering....and praying...

just saw west news...she said rain or snow tomorrow...

like Steve Im not going to get sucked into the roller coaster ride again..

:) :lol: :):)

Posted

I wonder if we could get the thoughts of somebody like Steve Murr in here to give the lowdown??

just think richard said it would be rain then snow so it must get colder when the warm sector gone so what would it make it bk to rain gfs snow all the way!!!!! wincaton no rain had never shown rain get him fired and now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I wonder if we could get the thoughts of somebody like Steve Murr in here to give the lowdown??

That's a good idea, get a better handle on how this is likely to pan out for our area.

Posted

dont blame you Steve!!

David even though there is a warm sector the freezing cold air could or might turn the rain into snow..

smiliz64.gifsmiliz21.gifsmiliz23.gifsmiliz39.gif

yes i understand but it should effect sw parts more its cold here then there it dont make sense both forecasts must be a werid warm sector that gunna annoy me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I'm currently thinking a rain-snow event which would be exciting (and dangerous) because it could leave a layer of glazed ice over surfaces.

Posted

yes i understand but it should effect sw parts more its cold here then there it dont make sense both forecasts must be a werid warm sector that gunna annoy me

looks like a few snow showers around on radar , bristol , somerset , dorset , only light i think.

Posted

dont blame you Steve!!

smiliz64.gifsmiliz21.gifsmiliz23.gifsmiliz39.gif

I remember the snow we had in 81. That started as with light rain, then it turned to sleet, then a foot or more of snow.

We can hoperolleyes.gif

Posted

I remember the snow we had in 81. That started as with light rain, then it turned to sleet, then a foot or more of snow.

We can hoperolleyes.gif

Steve I remember that very well.

I have great photo's of this

...They forecast rain for here and the West.

And I believed them at the time so I went to bed early that night..

I couldnt believe my eyes the next morning as we had 1ft of snow everywhere..

Truly spectacular....

would be nice to see the same again but im not convinced at present there isnt alot of precip in this front at present...

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Im really confused by the whole episode. rain/sleet/snow/freezing rain ahh i don't know what ill get and i'll worry about it all the way through saturday. diablo.gif

Of course if we do all get snow cover it could help entrench the cold and help keep other events less marginal?drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Truly spectacular....

would be nice to see the same again but im not convinced at present there isnt alot of precip in this front at present...

A foot of snow in Cheltenham?! Amazing to think of it. I can't remember Cheltenham having more than 4 inches while I've been alive. Were those depths once commonplace?

Posted

Truly spectacular....

Yeah good times. Fingers crossed it all goes right for us.

Edited by SteveB

Posted

I suppose "marginal" is the key word here. Depending on very local conditions cold be any of rain, sleet, freezing rain, snow, a mixture, sleet to snow, rain to snow etc. That's why BBC don't call it full-on - lets hope they get caught out and its a total whiteout for everbody. Be nice to have clear skies and really get that temp dropping as much as possible before the event. Should be a nice cold one tonight - mine's in the fridge!

Got little fluries of sleety snow here in Hayle

Hey Nice! I'd love to experience snow in that part of the country - one of my favourite areas! Welcome and lets hope you can get a good "dumping" tomorrow night.

Posted

I was only little in 1981 but my god what a bilzzard that was - the snow drifts were up to the windows of houses round here... we shouldn't be downhearted if next week looks marginal down here - most of the big snow events in the SW come from these situations, and with the warmer air trying to mix in with the displaced pv over us with entrenched cold, this thread just might go mental next week :whistling:

Posted

I suppose "marginal" is the key word here. Depending on very local conditions cold be any of rain, sleet, freezing rain, snow, a mixture, sleet to snow, rain to snow etc. That's why BBC don't call it full-on - lets hope they get caught out and its a total whiteout for everbody. Be nice to have clear skies and really get that temp dropping as much as possible before the event. Should be a nice cold one tonight - mine's in the fridge!

Hey Nice! I'd love to experience snow in that part of the country - one of my favourite areas! Welcome and lets hope you can get a good "dumping" tomorrow night.

Thankyou for the welcome, I found this place very good last year with the radar which i subscribed to, i saw the snow coming last febuary to which we had a nice dumping

Without hesitation ive subscribed again and christ didnt realise there was that much snow was around the UK

Fingers crossed we all get a nice snowfall and a white christmas

Posted

Thankyou for the welcome, I found this place very good last year with the radar which i subscribed to, i saw the snow coming last febuary to which we had a nice dumping

Without hesitation ive subscribed again and christ didnt realise there was that much snow was around the UK

Fingers crossed we all get a nice snowfall and a white christmas

I think the radar is very good value for money really. I use it all year round because i love looking for thunderstorms and very heavy rain ect in summer as well. Also very good when friend asks when will it snow/rain and you turn round and say oh in about 10 mins time lol. crazy.gif

Posted

A foot of snow in Cheltenham?! Amazing to think of it. I can't remember Cheltenham having more than 4 inches while I've been alive. Were those depths once commonplace?

yes good times...pic's to prove it..

many years throughout the 70's and 80's we had decent snowfall..

Though that year was my personal best..I think that might be the year that the temp around here dropped around

-20 centergrade....

dont quote me on it but I think I am correct...some where in glos temps were so cold us kids would make ice skating ring;s no joke...

The water from the taps would freeze instantly...

check this all out...though Im not sure if that was 81 for the temps might be 80 or 82...

Shropshire hit -26 centergrade....again dont quote me on it as it was a long time ago

yes many years we had decent snow,from my memory the best snow for us were always from the West or South West..

though this is nothing compared to the 60's and 50's and 40's so my dad tells me....

Just about remember the late 60's

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

When can we expect that? I missed most of it this afternoon as was stuck in the supermarket in town shopping, saw it through the windows, but couldnt go out in it!!