Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

An interesting evening coming up I think. Already had a very fine snow shower 20 mins ago, and the front currently over central Scotland looks pretty active at present (although how much it will decay by the time it gets this far south is open to question). Temp currently at it's highest today (-1.9C). Don't know how low it got last night because my outdoor sensors stopped reporting at -4.6C (have changed the batteries now)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

The snow has hardly melted today, even though it's been sunny for much of the day.It makes a change from previous winters when it's melted within hours of falling :p

That's the beauty of snow in December :D

An interesting evening coming up I think. Already had a very fine snow shower 20 mins ago, and the front currently over central Scotland looks pretty active at present (although how much it will decay by the time it gets this far south is open to question). Temp currently at it's highest today (-1.9C). Don't know how low it got last night because my outdoor sensors stopped reporting at -4.6C (have changed the batteries now)

A similar temp here, -2.1°C, though rising a little more quickly now, we got down to -8.7°C this morning so perhaps you had a similar minimum?

Posted

The snow has hardly melted today, even though it's been sunny for much of the day.It makes a change from previous winters when it's melted within hours of falling :p

to says here is 0.5-1cm it hasnt melted but in sun it has a small amount but thats obviously due to how thin it is lol

Posted

to says here is 0.5-1cm it hasnt melted but in sun it has a small amount but thats obviously due to how thin it is lol

Thats about the same as ive got mate, and hopefully by midnight we will have a mega covering which would last for quite a few days :drinks:

Edited by sufc

Posted

I love snow in December, it seems to last much longer due to the weakness of the sun. We got down to -5 last night here in Grimsby which I feel is pretty good considering how close we are to the sea. Still got a good covering, only melted where the sun has shone, which isn't a lot. Tried to make a snowman earlier but the snow wouldn't stick together. Does anyone know why this is? Is it too cold?

Posted

Thats about the same as ive got mate, and hopefully by midnight we will have a mega covering which would last for quite a few days :drinks:

not just few days! could into xmas as snow is a higher risk on the white xmas forecast

Myhttp://forum.netweather.tv/topic/56704-white-christmas-2009/page__st__357

Posted

I love snow in December, it seems to last much longer due to the weakness of the sun. We got down to -5 last night here in Grimsby which I feel is pretty good considering how close we are to the sea. Still got a good covering, only melted where the sun has shone, which isn't a lot. Tried to make a snowman earlier but the snow wouldn't stick together. Does anyone know why this is? Is it too cold?

yeah its deffo too cold as the snow is too dry for sticking together :drinks:

Posted

Yep it's looking very good indeed for tonight :) cheers for posting the link.

Posted

aww thats made me happier with that prediction :)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Just had a light snow flurry remains of a shower that fizzled out over the moors. Had a nice frosty walk this morning the coldest walk I've had for ages.

I expected today to be another ice day but it failed temps just sneaking above freezing.

Need to keep an eye on that warm sector tonight as these have been the big destroyers in the last few years.

Posted

you should end up with a nice covering Pit-2-4cm perhaps maybe a bit more as I'm unsure of your height amsl.

once again for those with NW Extra, try the will it snow Guide rather than hope casting or wondering-it does work

last time I'm going to blather on about this-will update my view to my post earlier today IF it seems to show a different picture to what I have predicted.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Just had a light snow flurry remains of a shower that fizzled out over the moors. Had a nice frosty walk this morning the coldest walk I've had for ages.

I expected today to be another ice day but it failed temps just sneaking above freezing.

Need to keep an eye on that warm sector tonight as these have been the big destroyers in the last few years.

Difficult to see for me Pit but more cloud (bearing slight ppn?) off to our W/NW,

Lot warmer today (2.6C) comparing to yesterday (max 1.2C),

regardless of all, its been a long time since snow laid on the ground for over 24hrs before crimbo so game on no matter what amounts/type fall tonite :)

Posted

Difficult to see for me Pit but more cloud (bearing slight ppn?) off to our W/NW,

Lot warmer today (2.6C) comparing to yesterday (max 1.2C),

regardless of all, its been a long time since snow laid on the ground for over 24hrs before crimbo so game on no matter what amounts/type fall tonite :)

its 0.8 here, just shows what 15miles can do!

Posted

Temps still hovering around the 0 mark here - beautiful crisp winters day so far, wall to wall 'dazzling' sunshine.

Approx 0.0000009 mm snow has so far fallen - hoping the warm sector in the front currently leaving Scotland doesnt spoil things later..

Text from a few lads at the SUFC vs QPR game say it was an 'interesting' journey down the country earlier this morning, navigating through sub zero temps & black ice!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Max temp so far today is 0.5c here, now starting to drop, 2.6c does seem a bit high unknw.gif

My readings out of the low sun rays but south facing thermo near to house & radiative heat!

match your values on the front north facing I guess fellas :doh:

Edited by mezzacyclone

Posted

Just had one hell of a temperature spike! from 0.7 to 1.9 in a matter of 15 mins!!!!

Now 2.1 !

Metoffice update:

Tonight:

Rain and sleet will spread southwards across England and Wales, turning to snow for a time later. Becoming colder and clearer in north with wintry showers in northwestern areas.

lol!

Posted

Its because its powder snow, not that it's too cold to make a snowman. This is the type of snow you would see in the Ski Resorts, you only see it when dew points are very low.

Don't really know why members rave about powder snow so much, its the worst kind in my view.

This pic I took earlier shows the powder snow well, it looks like it's been blowing around. post-8968-12612346949858_thumb.jpg

Posted

Just had one hell of a temperature spike! from 0.7 to 1.9 in a matter of 15 mins!!!!

Now 2.1 !

Metoffice update:

Tonight:

Rain and sleet will spread southwards across England and Wales, turning to snow for a time later. Becoming colder and clearer in north with wintry showers in northwestern areas.

lol!

how does bbc get away with their vague forecasts?

Posted

how does bbc get away with their vague forecasts?

Dunno, bit it aint looking promising, only one thing that does look promising is that the band from the North is sinking south a little quicker.

12Z should make things clearer.

Lewis