Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

bbc shows the heavy showers getting over the pennines for sunday and monday unknw.gif

You under estimate what those pennines are capable of laugh.gif

I suppose the odd one will get across, but nothing to write home about. I may be wrong. Its a case of waiting to nearer the time, and watching the radar biggrin.gif

And yes Sufc, it should stick around for a while, expect it to be very cold as well!

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

i bloody hope so! all i wish is for a fluffy covering up to 7cm that will last, thats all lol, cant say much because we did well last febuary having two falls of 7cm and 6days of snow on ground.

Yeah it would be great to get a decent covering which would last for days without melting :) I haven't watched any forecast for tomorrow, but hopefully we will get a warning out from the met office at some point during the day.

Posted

I think many are under estimating the extent of the snow on Saturday night, i would say 5-10cm on lower ground, 10-15cm on high ground. This applies to the areas with 3cm+ of snow on the ground. Places without snow i would say 3-8cm on lower ground, 8-13cm on high ground.

A good example of this is 22nd March 2008, a band of snow moved south from a northerly wind. The band dumped 10-15cm widely across the whole of Yorkshire, many at the time didn't expect much and was surprised at the amount of snow. This looks very similar.

Posted

Yeah it would be great to get a decent covering which would last for days without melting biggrin.gif I haven't watched any forecast for tomorrow, but hopefully we will get a warning out from the met office at some point during the day.

I was wondering why they don't have a warning out at the moment, they have advisories warning of ice Sunday morning for western and southern areas, yet don't have an advisory out for eastern areas! (which i suppose is good because ice means the snow will have melted an bit then frozen which is what we don't want!) They will probably issue one tomorrow when there more confident about totals.

Posted

Yeah it would be great to get a decent covering which would last for days without melting :) I haven't watched any forecast for tomorrow, but hopefully we will get a warning out from the met office at some point during the day.

ive always dreamed of having a text book pre white xmas and this is as close as it gets and depresses me that only 30miles away has a good 4-6cm!, id be amazingly happy if tomorrow night gave a good 7cm and it is possible with how cold the ground is etc.

The NW wind has driven snow showers into doncaster quite a few times so im trying my best to remain optomistic :yahoo:

I think many are under estimating the extent of the snow on Saturday night, i would say 5-10cm on lower ground, 10-15cm on high ground. This applies to the areas with 3cm+ of snow on the ground. Places without snow i would say 3-8cm on lower ground, 8-13cm on high ground.

A good example of this is 22nd March 2008, a band of snow moved south from a northerly wind. The band dumped 10-15cm widely across the whole of Yorkshire, many at the time didn't expect much and was surprised at the amount of snow. This looks very similar.

we did very well from that and was so marginal!!!! had a good 7-10cm that event!!! so hope its a repeat with out the marginal bit lol

Posted

Just took the dog out for a walk,

Just over 1cm widely, with a couple of cm's in places where its drifted (especially on roads).

Took a couple of pics (including my black Labrador pup, took him for his first snow walk).

post-2644-12611654332429_thumb.jpg

post-2644-12611654450139_thumb.jpg

Lewis

Posted

Look at the latest radar. How many streamers are there around the UK? Never seen so many.

Will update on todays events later.

Posted

Snow for the Doncaster area this weekend?

Precip starts about 2000 (Saturday)and finishes before

0300 (Sunday); total of

About 4mm or so on the 12z Friday Extra run

Zero isotherm briefly 800-1000ft but mainly below 3-500ft

850 mb temps a tongue of -5C up to about 2200 then falling to -8C or

Below by 2400

1000-850mb thickness 1290DM as precip starts falling to 1285DM by 2300

Temps +1C at 2100 falling to zero to -1C by 2400

Dewpoints 0/1 at 2100 falling to about -3C by 2400

This is looking at the late evening Saturday into early Sunday morning period.

As the occlusion moves south so will a band of precip-will it be rain, sleet or snow.

I suspect it will start out as sleet but falling on to partly frozen surfaces so not pleasant from late evening. In my view it will soon turn to wet snow and slowly to the drier version.

Using the data shown by Extra and NMM it would look like 2-4cm MAY accumulate in this area.

I suspect this will be reasonable value, bottom end, for many other sea level areas, possibly even on the coast. For higher elevations then it could be 5-10cm.

Harsh frosts tonight, Saturday and Sunday nights, and daytime max’s not above 3-4C for most at low level and below zero C for most parts above a few hundred feet I would think.

Enjoy our start to winter.

Brian

G-m-G

you may think it an idea to copy this to re post at times-if things seem to change on the 00z run I'll try and highlight the differences but can't promise to do this?

Posted

Snow for the Doncaster area this weekend?

Precip starts about 2000 (Saturday)and finishes before

0300 (Sunday); total of

About 4mm or so on the 12z Friday Extra run

Zero isotherm briefly 800-1000ft but mainly below 3-500ft

850 mb temps a tongue of -5C up to about 2200 then falling to -8C or

Below by 2400

1000-850mb thickness 1290DM as precip starts falling to 1285DM by 2300

Temps +1C at 2100 falling to zero to -1C by 2400

Dewpoints 0/1 at 2100 falling to about -3C by 2400

This is looking at the late evening Saturday into early Sunday morning period.

As the occlusion moves south so will a band of precip-will it be rain, sleet or snow.

I suspect it will start out as sleet but falling on to partly frozen surfaces so not pleasant from late evening. In my view it will soon turn to wet snow and slowly to the drier version.

Using the data shown by Extra and NMM it would look like 2-4cm MAY accumulate in this area.

I suspect this will be reasonable value, bottom end, for many other sea level areas, possibly even on the coast. For higher elevations then it could be 5-10cm.

Harsh frosts tonight, Saturday and Sunday nights, and daytime max’s not above 3-4C for most at low level and below zero C for most parts above a few hundred feet I would think.

Enjoy our start to winter.

Brian

G-m-G

you may think it an idea to copy this to re post at times-if things seem to change on the 00z run I'll try and highlight the differences but can't promise to do this?

Thanks for your post John,

Are eastern areas of Yorkshire going to see the heaviest of the precipitation, reason being is that my dads working on the ships tomorrow, and i hate him working on the docks when it's like this.

Yo guys,

Didnt think i would be saying this, but looks like the North sea is coming into play again now, them showers to the E of us are pushing west....?

Posted

Yo guys,

Didnt think i would be saying this, but looks like the North sea is coming into play again now, them showers to the E of us are pushing west....?

Ive been keeping an eye on the radar, but i can't see them pushing far enough west to effect me.They get so far and totally die out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Eeee it's a we bit chilly out: -6.3°C :good:

Edited by James M

Posted

I've just noticed that load out in the North Sea you had your eye on earlier Lewis -that is certainly making inroads - any thoughts ? :blink:

Ill know in 10 min's when radar updates :whistling:

it may be just intensification on it's western flank, or it could be that its actually pushing west, i hope it's the latter.

lewis

Posted

They definatly look like that are on the way looking at Meteox radar :whistling:

It's not suppose to be happening but the flow is changing....

Look at the showers off the Kent coast line too, they are doing the same and heading with a more WSW flow.

After years of long nights of radar watching, i think i'm 100% sure somethings heading inland.

Next radar update will confirm it.

Although i bet they was just slight intensification on the western flank.

Lewis

Posted

Finally back online.

Anyway, have had light, sometimes moderate snow for last 90 minutes, which was totally unexpected, the snow has settled on the roads and car, only a dusting though and around 1cm fresh on the already lying snow.