Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

It's entirely possible, and it's worth noting that both UKMO and ECM look less marginal than the 18z GFS, so it's by no means a given. Agree about SSTs, wind direction means no air moderation, but it will keep ground temps slightly raised in areas within a couple of km from the coast - however the progged heavier ppn should cancel that out.

Yep,

Its like today for example at one point i got to temp of 2.3c with a dew of 0.4 and it still snowed lovely flakes, another shower hit 20 mins later, with a dew of 1.3 which was the highest dew of the day, but guess what, it started off as hail, and then bucketed it down with snow.

So anything is possible, going to be an exciting night tomorrow, and we are going to need as many people on this board as possible to tip us off whats falling from the sky, this time tomorrow i hope we are all taking about our covering of snow :)

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

I hope so but c'est la vie if it does ! ... I remember quite a few of the more marginal times when I've got some significant snow here due to my elevation and you've been stuck with a slushy covering that quickly thawed. It's all swings and roundabouts ! But let's hope we both get a good solid covering for a change.

also there is a risk that the heavy snow showers could make their way into our areas from the NW flow?

Posted

also there is a risk that the heavy snow showers could make their way into our areas from the NW flow?

I think the winds are going to be that strong they will make their away across the country (thats what i think) yesterday in a less stronger wind they blew within 25 miles of the western coast :)

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Yep,

Its like today for example at one point i got to temp of 2.3c with a dew of 0.4 and it still snowed lovely flakes, another shower hit 20 mins later, with a dew of 1.3 which was the highest dew of the day, but guess what, it started off as hail, and then bucketed it down with snow.

So anything is possible, going to be an exciting night tomorrow, and we are going to need as many people on this board as possible to tip us off whats falling from the sky, this time tomorrow i hope we are all taking about our covering of snow :)

Lewis

It's amazing how precip can moderate what the books tell you is not a likely scenario for snow!

Meteox radar suggesting that the shower activity just to your east is continuing to beef up a little - is it snowing in Hull at the mo? If not, It can't be long before that reaches you.

Yust had a look at the Met radar and there's a cracking line of showers appeared running NE-SW off Newcastle that have a fifty mile sea track to strengthen before hitting East Yorkshire - Looks like a classic lake-effect precipitation band.

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Been for a pub meal at the Fox and Rabbit on the A169 Whitby to Pickering road this evening. The roads were surprisingly clear alhough there was a good 6 inches of snow in the car park which meant parking and leaving was difficult. The car themometer plunged to -9.5 degrees at it's lowest just east of Pickering but jumped abck up to 1.5 degrees at home in Scarborough meaning we gained 1 degree every mile and a half we drove on the way back! Talk about icy! Too much for one night, especially after nearly being hit by a driverless car sliding down a hill on the way home from work earlier!!!

Posted

Hopefully they will, the isobars look pretty tight. As the runs have got closer to the time, the ppn it shows has spread further eastwards with alot more convection ... it's only the pennines that can stand in our way really.

Posted

It's amazing how precip can moderate what the books tell you is not a likely scenario for snow!

Meteox radar suggesting that the shower activity just to your east is continuing to beef up a little - is it snowing in Hull at the mo? If not, It can't be long before that reaches you.

Not over me yet, but i can see patchy cloud cover, I'm not 100% sure now it will hit me, it may intensify and stay off shore. But if its does push in it's on a direct hit with me.

Lewis

Posted

Looking at the NMM model, it shows more clearly that there is only a very thin wedge of -5 upper air before the ppn, but that doesnt reach completely across the region, with in eastern areas, such as yours, the 850's only drop to -6.

If you have a glance at the latest FAX Chart you will see the tripole position on the western side of the UK, to the East of this should be mostly snow, to the west possibly rain/sleet combo, it may start of as sleet but it will quickly turn to snow, dewpoints are favourable at around -1 to start with and rising slightly but then dropping of considerably, also the NMM Model currently picks up a slight increase in precipitation over the Yorkshire area more esp East you are, rough estimates are 1-2" of lying snow from this front but the further east say N.Y Moors, E.Riding and N.E Lincs possibly 2-5" of lying snow come Sun am. On the plus side there maybe a further event Monday as well :drinks: .

http://www.meteociel.com/ukmo/fax/fax0s.gif

Posted

I think the winds are going to be that strong they will make their away across the country (thats what i think) yesterday in a less stronger wind they blew within 25 miles of the western coast :drinks:

Lewis

also the showers could come in troughs with it being active so we could all be looking to the west from sunday onwards :)

Posted

Just had a drive up to near Pickering and back, WOW, what a drive, set off at about 5pm and just got back, got stuck on a few hills, then got stuck in Beverley along with alot of other cars! VERY VERY icey its ureal!

Rob

Posted

Not over me yet, but i can see patchy cloud cover, I'm not 100% sure now it will hit me, it may intensify and stay off shore. But if its does push in it's on a direct hit with me.

Lewis

It appears that the wind is now only slighly east of north, so I guess that might be the case, however look to the north - the met O radar has a line of showers running almost east-west offshore between Newcastle and Edinburgh - that's just appeared in the last half-hour or so. Given the wind direction, and the fifty-odd mile sea track it has to make landfall, you're pretty well placed for that. It almost looks like a classic lake-effect precipitation band that you see coming off Lake Superior! Might take a while to reach you though.

Posted

also the showers could come in troughs with it being active so we could all be looking to the west from sunday onwards :)

I think come tomorrow we will see some rather active showers, you know the train type that's affected us all day mate. I'm suprised how many streamer setups there has been today!

All in all, looking very good the outlook. If you get continuous cold weather, well we all know what happens don't we :drinks:..

lewis

Posted

Not as cold here because of the shower activity - I'm getting -0.8c at the moment - I notice Linton-on-Ouse is recording around -5c in our patch.

Posted

It appears that the wind is now only slighly east of north, so I guess that might be the case, however look to the north - the met O radar has a line of showers running almost east-west offshore between Newcastle and Edinburgh - that's just appeared in the last half-hour or so. Given the wind direction, and the fifty-odd mile sea track it has to make landfall, you're pretty well placed for that. It almost looks like a classic lake-effect precipitation band that you see coming off Lake Superior! Might take a while to reach you though.

I can't believe how bitter it is out there :) Just been outside to check the temps, and it's already

down to -3c

JBD! Good spot, it's weird because we all but lost the flow hours ago, yet showers still want to filter inland, i reckon this is a trough developing, has to be, as troughs don't tend to follow the flow :) i think lol

GBG it's unreal ain't it! -1.9 here with a dew of -4 brrrr :drinks:

Posted

I think come tomorrow we will see some rather active showers, you know the train type that's affected us all day mate. I'm suprised how many streamer setups there has been today!

All in all, looking very good the outlook. If you get continuous cold weather, well we all know what happens don't we :drinks:..

lewis

Still a lil in me cant get over how we had no snow from that NE setup last night, if it wasnt for that low pressure im sure it would of be 100% better, hope a proper easterly happens jan/feb time

Posted

I can't believe how bitter it is out there :) Just been outside to check the temps, and it's already

down to -3c

It sure is mate :drinks: Very icy with snow on the ground and it's great :) although i won't think that in the morning when im out walking in it :)

Posted

I can't believe how bitter it is out there :drinks: Just been outside to check the temps, and it's already

down to -3c

its been -3c here for past 2hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

That little vale between pickering and Thornton Dale is definately one to watch in future for low temps. I could not believe how fast the thermometer was dropping driving through there. I know it's not all that accurate for actual temps but I'd imagine the drop it showed was probably somewhat accurate. I looked at it and it was -4.5 as I left pickering. No more than a minute later I commented on the tempterature, looked down to make sure it was still cold and it was already at -8 and falling every 15 seconds or so till -9.5. I wonder how low it would have gone if I hadn't driven out of the other side of the vale. A classic example of cold pooling if ever I have seen one.

Posted

its been -3c here for past 2hours

It's great isn't it. Nearly all of my snow cover, from earlier, has stayed intact - I wouldn't say no to a top-up though :drinks:

Posted

I dont understand, why is there a constant line of showers running down the Pennines/Ne England, got 90mins of light snow from last line of showers.

Posted

It sure is mate :drinks: Very icy with snow on the ground and it's great :) although i won't think that in the morning when im out walking in it :)

Yeah, I was going to take the dog out for a long walk this-evening, but I bottled it in the end :)

Posted

It's great isn't it. Nearly all of my snow cover, from earlier, has stayed intact - I wouldn't say no to a top-up though :drinks:

saying weve got 1cm covering in places, im still amazed how lil or at all thawed because usualy a light covering goes quick

Posted

Yeah, I was going to take the dog out for a long walk this-evening, but I bottled it in the end :drinks:

lol, you would probably loose the dog too! it's white isn't he?

i took my lab out earlier, he loved it!

Posted

Just thought guys, has anyone got any of their pictures to upload into the thread below?

Aside from me, no-one else appears to have posted since it was re-opened :)

lol, you would probably loose the dog too! it's white isn't he?

i took my lab out earlier, he loved it!

Yeah, dogs seem to love the snow. Mine was acting like he was a puppy again each time I let him out :drinks: