Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

06z is an upgrade with some eastern areas holding onto 0c dews when it hits dropping to -1 to -4 when its over us, the far east riding showers 1c dews, but tbh i think everywhere will see snow.

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

A snow covering here, but no more than an inch.

It was -6 degrees C overnight tho. Brrr.

The garden birds were waiting at first light for

a hand-out of food and fresh water.

BL.

Posted

Good morning everyone, got down to -4 over night, currently -2.5 with a dew of -3.5, bitter outside. And everything is frozen rock solid, i don't think the temp will get above 1c today, maybe even 0c until the snow push's in later.

lewis

morning :D well woke up and check minimum and it was -5.3!!!! and now its still -1.2!! our street is a total ice rink!!

06z is an upgrade with some eastern areas holding onto 0c dews when it hits dropping to -1 to -4 when its over us, the far east riding showers 1c dews, but tbh i think everywhere will see snow.

Lewis

deffo is an upgrade! looks a tad heavier than the other runs :D im still predicting 5cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Excellent late night last night - the period between 1:30am and 5am this morning saw us in Louth go from a light dusting of snow to about 4cm of lying snow this morning. Beautifully crip and clear today. Off out into the Wolds to take some photographs. With tonight looking the right side of marginal, this is likely to be the best snow event of the 00's. Lovely!

Posted

NMM models just updated to the 06z and after seeing a different resolution, i would not be surprised if it fell as rain across the hull/n lincs/east riding area.

Hope I'm wrong

Lewis

Posted

NMM models just updated to the 06z and after seeing a different resolution, i would not be surprised if it fell as rain across the hull/n lincs/east riding area.

Hope I'm wrong

Lewis

Hopefully not mate.The temp is still down at -2c here :)

Posted

just noticed on the 00z chart shows the NW snow showers getting right through to the humber

ukprec.png

so potential is there for futher suprises on sunday night! :)

just noticed my gage isnt getting higher now its leveld off at -1.2! amazing!

Edited by maxdamageukno1

Posted

just noticed on the 00z chart shows the NW snow showers getting right through to the humber

Interesting chart mate,lets hope it comes off :)

Posted

yes sometimes with a wnw flow rather than a nw flow they do get way across the country

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Interesting chart mate,lets hope it comes off :)

im going with past experiance, when i was 16 or around that age i could remember a trough that managed to get over the pennines with that setup and gfs clearly shows it :) so my prediction will be 4-6cm tonight for ground a tad higher than sea level then further top ups sunday night with an extra 1-2cm :)

Edited by maxdamageukno1

Posted

ukprec.png

so potential is there for futher suprises on sunday night! :)

just noticed my gage isnt getting higher now its leveld off at -1.2! amazing!

That looks great, but for some reason this flow is giving us marginal dew points the second there is shower activity, gfs 06z is showing dews again around the 2c mark for many areas.

This is one thing i dislike about NNW's

lewis

Posted

for a reliable idea please use the will it snow

it does work-believe me

or simply use the idea I gave alst night and updated this morning for my area.

precip

zero C

850mb temps

1000-850mb thickness

dry bulb temps

dewpoints

use the Guide and remember to factor in height-VERY approx 1C per 3-500ft and also IF the flow is off the sea and you are on the coast or up to 10 maybe 20 miles inland that effect-in lightish winds then the effect happens for a smaller distance inland.

Posted

Will West Yorshire do ok from tonight and if so roughly what time would it hit around Halifax? I'm trying to organise my night but snow would force me to re think.

Thanks in advance

Posted

for a reliable idea please use the will it snow

it does work-believe me

or simply use the idea I gave alst night and updated this morning for my area.

precip

zero C

850mb temps

1000-850mb thickness

dry bulb temps

dewpoints

use the Guide and remember to factor in height-VERY approx 1C per 3-500ft and also IF the flow is off the sea and you are on the coast or up to 10 maybe 20 miles inland that effect-in lightish winds then the effect happens for a smaller distance inland.

John gives a good guide above.

Tonight's band should be pretty favourable in this area as there is currently some very cold stagnant air around. In this sort of setup thicknesses, zero degree level and cloud height make a big difference. So much so that the usual rules may not exactly apply. Normally in marginal setups snow melts before it reaches the surface (hence higher ground doing a lot better), however, if there isnt much milder air around in the track to the ground (cold air at the surface AND aloft), then even with more marginal temperatures you can get snow right to sea level.

Also bear in mind that these setups are notoriously difficult to forecast. Local factors as John has mentioned such as onshore breezes can have an effect. Although the GFS might be going for dewpoints above freezing this looks much like January 2004. My bet would be wet snow at first followed quickly by drier snow as the cold air digs in behind. Basically the further east and higher up you are the more chance you have, as the milder air is in a 'wedge shape'.

Posted

I'm looking forward to tonight, should fall mostly as snow here, plus my elevation should help a little. I'm still expecting no more than 2 to 5 cm, but i await to be surprised :p

It also seems that some showers might make it across during Sunday as well, but those pennines can be a pain...

Posted

I'm looking forward to tonight, should fall mostly as snow here, plus my elevation should help a little. I'm still expecting no more than 2 to 5 cm, but i await to be surprised :p

It also seems that some showers might make it across during Sunday as well, but those pennines can be a pain...

but like john said with it being a WNW wind it will drive them pretty far inland! of course the pennines will take out the intensity but some will keep their energy :), tonight could be a suprise if the north sea jacks up the intensity as it moves south and southeast, still think it will be like the easter snow even :)

Posted

but like john said with it being a WNW wind it will drive them pretty far inland! of course the pennines will take out the intensity but some will keep their energy smile.gif, tonight could be a suprise if the north sea jacks up the intensity as it moves south and southeast, still think it will be like the easter snow even smile.gif

Hopfully :lol: What ever happens should make the journey to meadowhall in the morning interesting. We all know what a cm of snow does, so upto 5cm of snow... :lol: At least its my dad driving and not my mum!

Posted

Hopfully :lol: What ever happens should make the journey to meadowhall in the morning interesting. We all know what a cm of snow does, so upto 5cm of snow... :lol: At least its my dad driving and not my mum!

driving in the snow is hell, drove in it last feb with that easterly in 7cm and people as so stupid as they slam their brakes on junctions and rev to high!

Just watched bbc and they said midlands and SE could see another 5cm so that means yorkshire will be good as the intensity is higher in yorkshire than midlands! :)

Edited by maxdamageukno1

Posted

I'm hoping me and you see something as we seem to have only seen a dusting so far, i would be happy with anything more than that! Its a case of watching the radar now. Looks like were going to see some very cold overnight temps as well, I'm also expecting to record my first ice day. So far it got to 0.1c yesterday, and so far today 0.3c :lol: So with a bit more snow on the ground and overnight temps dipping lower than -3.9c I'm hoping to record one :)

Posted

I'm hoping me and you see something as we seem to have only seen a dusting so far, i would be happy with anything more than that! Its a case of watching the radar now. Looks like were going to see some very cold overnight temps as well, I'm also expecting to record my first ice day. So far it got to 0.1c yesterday, and so far today 0.3c :lol: So with a bit more snow on the ground and overnight temps dipping lower than -3.9c I'm hoping to record one :)

haha we basicly have same setup as mine says 0.3 also :) yeah im sure well get at least 3cm!!

Posted

haha we basicly have same setup as mine says 0.3 also smile.gif yeah im sure well get at least 3cm!!

At least it means i have a dusting on the floor which has remained since Thursday. So i have 0.25cm to get me started :lol:

And sounds good sufc :)

Posted

At least it means i have a dusting on the floor which has remained since Thursday. So i have 0.25cm to get me started :D

And sounds good sufc :D

The snow has hardly melted today, even though it's been sunny for much of the day.It makes a change from previous winters when it's melted within hours of falling :p