Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I'll be delighted with 3 hours of snow tomorrow evening.lets hope it comes off :drinks:

me too mate! looking at the zoomed in ppn chart it shows 3-4mm an hour for good 2hours and theres bound to be some places that will have intensification! im confident that there will be 5cm at least

Rmgfs333.gif

Rmgfs363.gif

Edited by maxdamageukno1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Well Louth had a bit of snow today, but pretty much a two or three hour window of showers - nothing special really but probably better than I'd expected, however I popped down to the Old Man's place today, on the other edge of the Lincs Wolds down in the Spilsby area for anyone who knows it and they've had a fair bit - 2-3 inches at a guess. I took some photos, which I'll post up in a little while. He's about 12 miles from me, so that gives you some idea of how local conditions can have a big impact on where snow falls.

Posted

Three hours of constant moderate to heavy snow should give around 2cm to possibly 5cm across our region (perhaps a little more for the moors and pennines) It should fall as snow from start to finish for just about all of us smile.gif

Edit: I think i may be under doing the accumulations a bit, will stick with what i predicted for now though...

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Three hours of constant moderate to heavy snow should give around 2cm to possibly 5cm across our region (perhaps a little more for the moors and pennines) It should fall as snow from start to finish for just about all of us smile.gif

Edit: I think i may be under doing the accumulations a bit, will stick with what i predicted for now though...

your prediction is most realistic but if that chart did come off im sure 5cm+ would be widespread :)

Posted

I am quietly confident about Saturday night just amazed there are no WW out :)

maybe because they want to be sure on the totals? :)

Posted

your prediction is most realistic but if that chart did come off im sure 5cm+ would be widespread smile.gif

Yes, if the GFS came off exact then around 5cm would expected widely, plus we have whats already on the ground. At the moment i think the maximum any of us should expect is around 5cm or less :) I my self don't expect anything more than that, however i await to be pleasantly surprised :)

Posted

I am quietly confident about Saturday night just amazed there are no WW out :)

Im a little confident but not over confident, it was OK posting them charts (not you) showing heavy precip and one chart from the run showing dew points, but if you actually like at the course of the 3 hours the precip is over us the dew point shoot up.....

I'm not having a go at anyone, just giving a bit of advice because i don't want anyone to be disappointed and having to explain what happened again tomorrow night.

Lewis

Posted

Im a little confident but not over confident, it was OK posting them charts (not you) showing heavy precip and one chart from the run showing dew points, but if you actually like at the course of the 3 hours the precip is over us the dew point shoot up.....

I'm not having a go at anyone, just giving a bit of advice because i don't want anyone to be disappointed and having to explain what happened again tomorrow night.

Lewis

Im fairly confident that we will see mostly snow from this event, at the very worse perhaps a little sleet for a time, but i think even that's unlikely for us. We shall have to wait and see :)

Posted

Lewis

thats a good point lewis, just one of those setups that we have to sit and watch with radar n dew temps

Posted

Although quite an IMBY post, I think that tomorrow night front will give a much better chance to those areas who haven't recieved, much, or anything in the way of snow yesterday and this morning. It is looking quite good for the central strip of the region, with more favourable dew points, temepratures and in some other areas elevation (which may also help to provide more ppn the higher up you are).

I'm thinking maybe 2-3 cms on low ground and towards the coast, with around 5cm for many areas above 100m, and perhaps upto 10cm in some lucky areas with some decent elevation (250m+).

Edited by Andy_Calafell_Sheffield

Posted

thats a good point lewis, just one of those setups that we have to sit and watch with radar n dew temps

Yep,

It's just the cautious side of me mate, heart says lots of snow and we'll be fine, head keep's going back and fourth.

We have the coldest uppers, across the Country (including areas further North) we have the Dam line hitting 515. And i may be jumping the gun here, but expect some back building and development ahead and behind the front.

Posted

Yep,

It's just the cautious side of me mate, heart says lots of snow and we'll be fine, head keep's going back and fourth.

We have the coldest uppers, across the Country (including areas further North) we have the Dam line hitting 515. And i may be jumping the gun here, but expect some back building and development ahead and behind the front.

isnt there a chance where the humber might intensify the band a little in the east?

Posted

Bah humbug. We had a few showers but they turned to sleet in the end and melted the thin sugar coating we had from yesterday evening. So nothing now, just wet ground. Absolutely unbelieveable what a damp squib this has been around here yet again. Hopefully Saturday will produce something.

Posted

After further studying the GFS, it looks like the GFS has over done it on the dew points, Ill wait until the 00z run tomorrow and look at the NMM models. GFS aint the best resolution and has a tendency to over cook thing's its +1 tops regarding dew points, but metoffice and BBC going for -4 overnight for me into Sunday..

So there's a little uncertainty.

Lewis

Posted

Just had a phone call from a mate who has been stuck in standstill traffic on the A1079 for over an hour between Market Weighton & Bishop Burton. :blush:

Edited by gobbyash

Posted

Just had a phone call from a mate who has been stuck in standstill traffic on The Wolds for over an hour between Market Weighton & Bishiop Burton.

Yes its exceptionally bad up there. A guy I work with from Market Weighton whos supposed to take me off at 6.30pm has just rang in to say he's probably going to be late as he has to pick up his kiddie from York then get back to Hedon for work. Looks like Ill be pulling a long shift!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

After last nights let down i hope we get some tommorrow there was a dusting in Killamarsh but that's about it really with the odd flake of snow what a let down considering the forecast maps that i saw had showers over us today. :whistling:

Posted

i dont get how people would think this would bring a white christmas, all the precipitation is on the southcoasts and it wouldn't be hardly snow there anywya. take a look at the preciptitaion charts to see. if the preciptitaion chart is right and the set up for xmas day according to gfs is correct , obviously there would be a lot of changing there would be no snow even with that low in postition like this here. http://209.197.11.11...67ddc2be8d2bf30 and no snow for yorkshire either

Posted

After last nights let down i hope we get some tomorrow there was a dusting in Killamarsh but that's about it really with the odd flake of snow what a let down considering the forecast maps that i saw had showers over us today. mad.gif

Don't worry, perhaps our patience will be rewarded tomorrow nightwhistling.gifbiggrin.gif

Posted

Well having expected nothing at all today I was really suprised with what the afternoon deliverd for us here in Grimsby/Cleethorpes. We has nearly 2 hours of on and off snow which left about a cm on the ground. Yes I know thats not much but its better than nothing at all. Really hope tomorrow night delivers a few cms

Posted

i dont get how people would think this would bring a white christmas, all the precipitation is on the southcoasts and it wouldn't be hardly snow there anywya. take a look at the preciptitaion charts to see. if the preciptitaion chart is right and the set up for xmas day according to gfs is correct , obviously there would be a lot of changing there would be no snow even with that low in postition like this here. http://209.197.11.11...67ddc2be8d2bf30 and no snow for yorkshire either

You're kidding, right?

gobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

4195552974_0bdb5379a7.jpg

Snow showers falling over the Lincolnshire Wolds

4195562764_eb841cb246.jpg

The country lane my Dad lives on. Very respectable amounts of snow.

4194822363_a8e0c032a1.jpg

Dad's back garden as the snow falls!

Posted

4195552974_0bdb5379a7.jpg

Snow showers falling over the Lincolnshire Wolds

4195562764_eb841cb246.jpg

The country lane my Dad lives on. Very respectable amounts of snow.

4194822363_a8e0c032a1.jpg

Dad's back garden as the snow falls!

Lovely pictures it would seem you have done quite well

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover