Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Country File forecast was going for snow on Xmas Eve and Day over Dartmoor area and where am I? The SE! You trully couldn't make it up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Well, as forecast, it was rain initally but at god knows what hour it must of turned to snow on the very back edge as there is a dusting on pavements, roofs and shaded roads. More importantly, untreated surfaces are like an ice rink this morning, particularly where I live (out in the sticks).

Posted

wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Country File forecast was going for snow on Xmas Eve and Day over Dartmoor area and where am I? The SE! You trully couldn't make it up.

Aaaahhhh...don't fret. The snow over Dartmoor won't happen. It'll snow in the SE, you'll see. It always does. I know it won't snow anywhere in Devon as I am coming down to Exeter on Thursday. It'll snow in Bristol, though!

Mwwwwwwaaaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaaa. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Just had an interesting drive to shepton mallet, Snow cover all round here albeit very thin and hardly melting even in direct sun. However as you drive down towards shepton mallet (150m ish) its turns to a iced glaze which is terrible to drive on and has like a suger frosting on top. then when you get down into lower shepton around 100m it is just sheet ice from sleet/rain i expect.

2 hours until showers might start to pep up along the bristol channel now... whistling.gif Still a chilly 0.0c so just about holding on to an ice day but sods law it will end up 0.1c or 0.2c wallbash.gif I might go out side and get a few pictures in a min.

Posted

Just had an interesting drive to shepton mallet, Snow cover all round here albeit very thin and hardly melting even in direct sun. However as you drive down towards shepton mallet (150m ish) its turns to a iced glaze which is terrible to drive on and has like a suger frosting on top. then when you get down into lower shepton around 100m it is just sheet ice from sleet/rain i expect.

2 hours until showers might start to pep up along the bristol channel now... whistling.gif Still a chilly 0.0c so just about holding on to an ice day but sods law it will end up 0.1c or 0.2c wallbash.gif I might go out side and get a few pictures in a min.

Lol mate, they better pep up or i will be peed off even more, not seen any snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Last night it was raining cats and dogs.

REALLLLLY heavy.

It turned to snow for about 3 minutes then back to rain.

The roads and cars were completely frozen solid this morning.

It was even hard to walk on the pavement without falling over.

Hopefully something might come in off the west later today. But im not counting on it.

Hummm.. from thisisgloucestershire.co.uk

OVERNIGHT snow and freezing temperatures have seen parts of Gloucestershire covered in a white blanket of snow and ice.

With temperatures hovering around the freezing mark, snow has settled across the county, including Gloucester, Cheltenham, the Forest of Dean and parts of the Cotswolds.

Accompanied by bright sunshine and clear blue skies for much of today, the wintry conditions have further raised hopes of a white Christmas.

Gloucestershire Media weather expert Ian Thomas said more snow was expected to fall across the county.

“We’re likely to see another thick frost on Monday morning and a considerable amount of snowfall across the county during the afternoon,” he said.

“Temperatures will remain around the freezing mark during the day, dropping to as low as -5 degrees Celsius overnight.

“More snow is likely to fall across the east of the county with several flurries elsewhere.”

Motorists in Gloucestershire have been warned to drive with caution after snow and ice made for treacherous driving conditions.

Gloucestershire Highways teams have been out in force topping up key routes and busy secondary roads with salt.

The extreme weather conditions have seen swathes of Britain grind to a halt.

Has it snowed where you are? Post your comments below.

Ian, If your in here, Stand up please.

Id like to know where you get your forecasts from?

Posted

There has been the hint of that channel low for some time however it has looked like it was going to be a south east event yet again but maybe he has some new information to sugest that it could well hit the west country tomoro? I dont think it will but it would make a change for it to move in our favour in the short term for a change.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

In all fairness I had a heavy snow fall here but most didnt settle..

I have a THIN blankett of snow across the roads around the estate.

Just been out and I can say DEADLY...I counted 10 car skid's I had in different part's of cheltenham..

Last time I saw Ice like this was in the early 90's...

Even theough majority of the snow didnt settle it was nice seeing 50p size flakes..

Posted

Ye mate, best thing would be waking up to snow.

Then going to work :yahoo:

I cant see any chance tbh.

Its currently raining like hell in liverpool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

What we had last night was rain, turning to snow and back to rain sporadically. It left a layer of thin ice along our ungritted road and on the pavements, making it very difficult to walk without slipping over. On the car there is a layer of freezing rain and partially-melted snowflakes - the snow I imagine must have helped the rain to freeze.

Posted

Sun is a shining but I still have nice sheet ice with little icing sugar dusting on top... makes for interesting driving! Especially on this hill. (God knows why they thought it a wise idea to line the roads with hedges, built on top of granite rocks. Not very forgiving!

Ho hum, freezing still out, but have to go do some stuff outdoors.

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Posted

Shropshire i think.

Posted

Scrap the o/s work... ground is frozen down to about 3inches.

Does make me wonder about this so called perma frost melt if the ground freezes that quick all the way down here!

Posted

Oh come on, We need some major snow between now and 6am.

I cant be bothered with work tomorrow.

I think we may have a slight risk of seeing some in the next few hours if that stuff keeps building to the NWW

Posted

Salt to the wound.......

South east have weather warning out for the channel low which should of been for us! cray.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gif

cray.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gif