Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Now turned back to rain here. Still 1.1c

Incidentally the Gravesend Broadness recording point is actually in Swanscombe on the marshes. Its recording 2.6c at 1am. The warmest is been for about three days and this system came from the arctic !!

Posted

See, now this reminds me of the vast majority of snow potential post 1991, snow forecast for my region, only to wake up to rain and wet roads. I seriously cannot believe after an ice day here, that 'snow' fell as sleet and rain!! I thought this was a dead cert!

Its a very interesting point......Would the people of the 40's 60's 80's have been

saying, the warmer sector is involved or The Thamse has risen temps by.5 degrees...Or

London is warmer therefore its marginal......

Lots to debate and I am surprised after the days preceding this we got a rain event tonight?

Night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I can see from the radar what went wrong for SE London, Chiltons pepped up the front, London has created its SE Shadow and gobbled it all up. Looks like its getting going again South of London though, but its all over here, just a few flakes, fizzle wizzle rain and more rain. All rather light apart from the 3 snow flakes that were quite big.

Seen this effect many times before, why dont I wise up?? :yahoo:

Looks like the tail end now and stopping for a while, about 2 to 3 cms on this last lot, a possibility of a shower according to the radar but it appearing to be petering out. Should get a clearance shorly with a nice drop in temperature.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Very heavy snow falling here and temp is 1c

And settling very fast

yep second that the heaviest fall this year hope it carries on for at least an hour

Posted

Current GFS (18z) has Monday, for Kent and Sussex, as being just on the wrong side of marginal for snow - Theta-W values, are just slighly too warm (3C) for this area. Still, it's only one model run, and who knows ... It could be a case of snow on the hills, rain for everyone else.

It's only just touching the far South and East, so 50 mile model error, and the game could be on ... (850/500 thicknesses all good) ... but, I think, the higher Theta-W temperatures are associated with the precipitation. It could well be a choice of wet and warm, or cold and dry.

post-5986-12612723614913_thumb.gif

Posted

Looks like the tail end now and stopping for a while, about 2 to 3 cms on this last lot, a possibility of a shower according to the radar but it appearing to be petering out. Should get a clearance shorly with a nice drop in temperature.

Any expected time for the temp to drop Mike?

Posted

Cheers, here's still hoping, but I've given up holding my breath now.

It's always best not to hold ones breath for too long. First you become Blue and then pass out. lol

Posted

It's getting close on the radar! I'm excited. Looks like there's plenty in store, sliding diagonally through a front which is moving kind of sideways. Bit behind it too.

Posted

Current GFS (18z) has Monday, for Kent and Sussex, as being just on the wrong side of marginal for snow - Theta-W values, are just slighly too warm (3C) for this area. Still, it's only one model run, and who knows ... It could be a case of snow on the hills, rain for everyone else.

It's only just touching the far South and East, so 50 mile model error, and the game could be on ... (850/500 thicknesses all good) ... but, I think, the higher Theta-W temperatures are associated with the precipitation. It could well be a choice of wet and warm, or cold and dry.

I saw the ever languid Francis on Sky earlier, he seems to think Snow for Monday and arctic weather for the rest of the week!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Very heavy snow falling here and temp is 1c

And settling very fast

hey yamkin any ideas how long this is gonna last my knowledge on all this as you know is very new but im hoping looking at other posts and charts about 40 mins that could give a couple of cm at least. probably way out but hoping

Posted

It's getting close on the radar! I'm excited. Looks like there's plenty in store, sliding diagonally through a front which is moving kind of sideways. Bit behind it too.

You should be ok with 150 asl, mines only 5m so got wet snow for about 10mins then rain

Posted

45 minutes now ... light-moderate. less than 1 cm still, or 1 cm max. my red car bonnet still has red splotches the snow hasn't covered.

actually, I think there is sleet in this. rather than floating down it's coming straight down quite quickly now and they're not very large flakes.

how can I say this... please stop snowing now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

another 3-4 inches of snow has fallen here, bringing my total to around 9-10 inches. will get the ruler out in the morning. turned to sleet on the back edge and temp rose to 0.5c

temps now falling again

does anyone know about the possible snow event on tuesday?? i see it shows heavy snow on both bbc website and metoffice for tuesday. BUT THERE AREN'T EVEN ANY ADVISORIES, LET ALONE WARNINGS FOR IT.

if anyone could shed some light on this for me it would be great to know, cant even watch weatherview at 2am because the sky dish is covered in snow :/

i work in the pub trade at the moment and this weather has knocked our business for six, its dead when we should be heaving!!

waiting to start with norfolk constabulary, their driving course must be shocking as the local station has written off 3 cars since thursday lol.

Posted

You should be ok with 150 asl, mines only 5m so got wet snow for about 10mins then rain

Likewise and after five minutes of heavy snow it has stopped! :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

to be honest im seriously glad.. cus now i wont give a toss about the next lot coming in.. and can concentrate on xmas :yahoo:

Well if this lot couldn't stay as snow for much of South London then I have very little faith that any of the marginal events will be any good next week unless your right out in the sticks and above 150 meters.

Posted

does anyone know about the possible snow event on tuesday?? i see it shows heavy snow on both bbc website and metoffice for tuesday. BUT THERE AREN'T EVEN ANY ADVISORIES, LET ALONE WARNINGS FOR IT.

it will hardly affect you, and looks like rain and sleet at best

Posted

In for an anti-climax here! Same old really, just hope I don't wake up to the snow/ice that is about all gone from rain! It's rained all summer and Autumn, and it still wants to \@-!?#* rain!

Edited by rmc1987

Posted

Yep still room for movement on that, although I reckon its a 50/50 call. BBC forecasted rain for monday, Sky Snow, I am myself 50% swaying on it, but it will cool down Tuesday.

Posted

Although we still have bit and pieces of snow falling nothing of any note here, always had the lighter stuff this end of the estuary.

Bed me thinks early start tomorrow and at least the roads will be clear after early ice

Paul S