Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Everywhere is sparkling here with ice/frost but only tiny patches of frozen grauple left in sheltered areas. Was just giving up and going to bed. Is it worth me staying up for a while longer Backtrack? I'm next to Liverpool Airport?

I wouldn't :whistling:

I can see a huge cloud bank heading my way so I am. Looks like those showers are continuing to develop in the Irish Sea, although most of them wont affect us. The only chance we have is the showers crossing Wales and the issolated showers.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

No more showers for here but the temperature here is going to plummet by morning, it will probably be the lowest in the region, or thereabouts, given that much of the region are in the firing line for cloud/showers.

Posted

No more showers for here but the temperature here is going to plummet by morning, it will probably be the lowest in the region, or thereabouts, given that much of the region are in the firing line for cloud/showers.

Stephen, BBC going for snow showers tonight and tomorrow for my area. What do you think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

You might get one or two but I cant see many to be fair.

Posted

I wouldn't :whistling:

I can see a huge cloud bank heading my way so I am. Looks like those showers are continuing to develop in the Irish Sea, although most of them wont affect us. The only chance we have is the showers crossing Wales and the issolated showers.

Right, I'm off to bed then! But I know every time I wake up in the night, I'll have to get up and look out the window just in case!!

Goodnight all.

Posted

You might get one or two but I cant see many to be fair.

Cheers mate. :whistling:

Im off to bed too now, night all.

Posted

So much for a plummeting temperature, it levelled out at 0.0C and has since risen to 0.7C, I'm sure itll drop below 0C but it could take an hour or so.

Posted

Ok so we've had another cm of snow fall in the last 30 minutes, temps currently at a steady 1.2c but it appears to be more sleety/hail outside right now, the road is covered again wahoo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

DID NOT EXPECT TO WAKE UP TO THIS :):):)

cool aint it!! :(

been snowing none stop for maybe three hours, good 50p size flakes, really good covering now, 1st since 2005! :(

Posted

Fantastic, snow not forecast for our area, I wake up and find another 4" snow on the ground, and looking like we will have more throughout the day. Now let's hope and pray there are no dreaded mild sectors!

Posted

Reasonably heavy snow shower falling right now, at 0.1C and a dew point of -0.6C.

Sorry about poor forecast for this period of weather for the Eden Valley. No whiteouts or blizzards for Cumbria, that appear to effect other parts of the country :cold:

Carn't remember a blizzard, think I experienced a whiteout back in the early 80's

Mark

Edited by Tucco

Posted

No snow here. We had a flurry early yesterday afternoon that left the roads a little slushy for a while, but otherwise, nothing.

Meh

Currently 1.4c and partly cloudy.

Posted
Carn't remember a blizzard, think I experienced a whiteout back in the early 80's
I think this might qualify as a blizzard down south, but for here, it's merely a flurry.

Think they're might be a few showers here today.

Posted

I have just driven from Bacup to Bury, the depth of snow was pretty similar all the way, probably a bit more actually in Bacup itself, and it was snowing hard when I left. Roads are terrible once you get out of Rossendale. If you havn't got 4WD you need to be very careful or stay put!

Shadowfax

Posted

I think this might qualify as a blizzard down south, but for here, it's merely a flurry.

Think they're might be a few showers here today.

I know people get excited by snow but a blizzard requires an average wind speed of force 7 and above, with vis below 200m. A whiteout is vis down a couple of feet.

If the country ever did experience a severe snowstorm god knows what words people would say. Sky News would think of a few though. :closedeyes:

Mark

Posted

An interesting FAX chart for midnight Christmas Eve for the south of the region

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack2.gif

Indeed it is, trough pushing up against the cold air. Might be a white Christmas ie 12.01am.

Dry bright and frosty here in Hale, Beeb had a few flurries on Wednesday for us so fingers crossed.

Few of our staff from further North, (of Preston) can't get in today so I guess the North NW is getting some today.

Did enjoy yesterday though, great to play with the kids in the snow, our friends in Philadelphia had 24 inches! wow.