Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

The bottom end of that line of showers in the Irish sea seems to slowly be pivoting eastwards to me, anyone else notice this?

The line of showers for the northwest seem to have stalled really and not making any progression at all. I hope they start to move toward us maybe leaving a dusting over the early morning, but im quite doubtful. The ice here in Haydock (near wigan) is dreadful however.

John

Posted

The bottom end of that line of showers in the Irish sea seems to slowly be pivoting eastwards to me, anyone else notice this?

Yep got my eye on that, I think it will slowly pull eastwards and might just clip here if I'm lucky!

The track of the showers are over the Irish sea at the moment, picking up moisture, as soon as that track pulls inland they will probably peter out, just my luck really :mellow:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Frequent moderate snow showers in Penrith this evening adding to the 6cms lying, hopefully that streamer will continue for a while yet.

No reports from that endless streamer North of Carlisle although its moved south in the last two hours and given some heavy snow in the City.

The area to the North of Carlisle has few areas of population, hence the lack of reports.

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yep got my eye on that, I think it will slowly pull eastwards and might just clip here if I'm lucky!

The track of the showers are over the Irish sea at the moment, picking up moisture, as soon as that track pulls inland they will probably peter out, just my luck really :lol:

Its -1C in your area too, makes a change so if any precipitation does show up it will be snow!

Posted

-2c - all of a sudden in the past hour or so, it feels much colder. Going to be an Ice rink again tomorrow. At least I won't have to spend 30mins shoveling snow away from my car lol

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Its -1C in your area too, makes a change so if any precipitation does show up it will be snow!

Hope so! my temp is currently -0.7c and falling, I might even break this years all time low of -3.6c for around here, on the 19 Dec 09!

-2c - all of a sudden in the past hour or so, it feels much colder. Going to be an Ice rink again tomorrow. At least I won't have to spend 30mins shoveling snow away from my car lol

Wind has been from the SE for a while now so this will have a lot do do with the sudden drop in temps, especially around here on the coast where the sea has a huge influence.

Posted

Frequent moderate snow showers in Penrith this evening adding to the 6cms lying, hopefully that streamer will continue for a while yet.

No reports from that endless streamer North of Carlisle although its moved south in the last two hours and given some heavy snow in the City.

The area to the North of Carlisle has few areas of population, hence the lack of reports.

Andy

ah thats why. was wondering why there was noone here telling us how much snow they have had. must be more than 8 inches now.

Posted

Definatly cold enough for snow now temps and dew points below freezing, all the snow here has frozen solid and to add to that the gritters havent been out all day. Anything that does fall will surely stick like glue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Winds are slowly but surely vering West and North West over the Irish sea .. so showers should be pushed more west to east rather than streaming SW - NE

you can tell because the streamer line is slowly shift over/ towards Preston now !.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

I may be wrong but it looks as if the Band of PPN is now moving Westwards instead of North West, the winds are meant to turn more westerly over the Irish sea as the night wears on so this may be the sign of that happening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

temp now -0.3c presevring my wintry mix of hail and snow, showers still stuck over southern cumbria, more falling on already 8inch in places there

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

-1c here now. Dropping quite fast.

Prec in the Irish sea seems to be bunching up and moving "very" slowly inland.

Here's hoping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Strange temp rise in the last 10 minutes from -3.2c to -2.7c , maybe the wind is coming in from the west now

Posted

LOL, just been looking at the MET warning for the northwest...its highlighted for everyone but the wirral.

What is wrong with this place.:wallbash:

Were just too damn sheltered mate, the only favourable possition for us here is a strong, very cold, north westerly and even then the warmth of the Irish sea ruins it for us!

We carnt win :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I may be wrong but it looks as if the Band of PPN is now moving Westwards instead of North West, the winds are meant to turn more westerly over the Irish sea as the night wears on so this may be the sign of that happening.

Still looks like it's tracking NE to me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

That band over the Irish sea has caught my eye, cloud is already visible here in the west moving in very slowly. Temperature holding steady at 0.4C,

Should be due here in about 25-30 minutes time. Surely I can't miss out on this as well!

Edited by Cric_lancster

Posted

This looks to be heading my way - I'm where the red blob is.

Been snowing most of the evening already.

Forgot the image

post-717-12614298609013_thumb.jpg

It looks like it may miss you, as the winds have become more westerly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Anyone think i'll catch some of these showers? They will be WELL needed if the little snow and ice we have left is to last until christmas day. -1.0c here atm. Any snow will stick like super glue.

Posted

Hopefully the showers will push inland, if they do I have a high chance of catching one as I have many a times over the last few days.

If I do they will stick so easily, currently -4.c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Hopefully the showers will push inland, if they do I have a high chance of catching one as I have many a times over the last few days.

If I do they will stick so easily, currently -4.c

you are very hopeful lol, not even i hold much hope, moving east at that rate you should get some snow by thurs