Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Right well I shall be off to bed now, planning to go for a walk in the morning to take some pics, hopefully I will have got my camera working by then!. Atm it's -6.5°C here, so I've got my fingers crossed for a clear, still night ahead.

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think I know why its so mild here compared to places in the Wirral nevermind the region.

It appears here were getting a westerly breeze, yet it wasn't progged to come in until about 3am. This suggest the westerly breeze is overriding the cool southerly breeze than is also blowing at lower elevations.

In affect what we have is an inversion in parts, hence some fog forming

Posted

-0.5C here.

I doubt well get snow but there is cloud streaming across from the west.

Rather large cloud mass coming from the SW direction , from over the Clwydians direction-moving incredibly slowly.

Temp here -1.5C, no wind speed.

To the guy in Runcorn-you may get a bit-depends on the influence of any Snowdonia/Clwydian snow shadow. This cloud will be over me in about 10-15mins-I'll let you know.

Posted

I think I know why its so mild here compared to places in the Wirral nevermind the region.

It appears here were getting a westerly breeze, yet it wasn't progged to come in until about 3am. This suggest the westerly breeze is overriding the cool southerly breeze than is also blowing at lower elevations.

In affect what we have is an inversion in parts, hence some fog forming

Under the cloudy skies here we are still just above freezing point resulting in the snow not freezing yet, however, once the cloud cover disapears through the night I'm expecting temps to drop like a stone with ice a real hazard in the morning.

As for unlikely to record any more cold nights like tonight, mmm Wednesday and Thursday are looking clear potential for very cold nights ahead I feel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

Anyone in the North Lancashire area/extreme south of Cumbria, It looks like there is another band moving in off the Irish sea. Not as big as the one an hour ago but looks to have precip, Arriving in about half an hour I'd've thought.

Currently 0.1C. Cloudy to the west, Dry.

Edited by Cric_lancster

Posted

Rather large cloud mass coming from the SW direction , from over the Clwydians direction-moving incredibly slowly.

To the guy in Runcorn-you may get a bit-depends on the influence of any Snowdonia/Clwydian snow shadow. This cloud will be over me in about 10-15mins-I'll let you know.

I nipped into Woolton this afternoon and was surprised how much snow/ice there was around on the pavements and driveways. I'm only 3 miles away and there's virtually none here. :whistling:

I'm pleased for the rest of you across the region who've had the snow you wanted! My 5 year old God daughter who lives in Manchester has put some in a bag in the freezer for me so I will have snow for Christmas - one way or another! :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

reports that the M6 around j36/j37 kendal area is down to one lane with jacknifed lorry, just where the showers have been streaming in

Posted

Nothing special here in Norbreck at the moment, temp currently at -0.3, previous fall an hour ago has frozen, patchy cloud above, looks cloudy as far as i can tell to the west, would expect maybe something in about 20 min going off the radar.

Posted

reports that the M6 around j36/j37 kendal area is down to one lane with jacknifed lorry, just where the showers have been streaming in

I'm not surprised, the showers this evening have been very heavy producing 5-6 cms in Kendal alone probably more in some areas especially higher ground, not often Morecambe Bay Area does well out of heavy snow, however, the wind direction is ideal, as it shifts to the NW tomorrow expect more showers over the lakeland fells and less in the Morecambe Bay Area.

I can see a further couple of cms falling here before the night is out.

Posted

I nipped into Woolton this afternoon and was surprised how much snow/ice there was around on the pavements and driveways. I'm only 3 miles away and there's virtually none here. unknw.gif

I'm pleased for the rest of you across the region who've had the snow you wanted! My 5 year old God daughter who lives in Manchester has put some in a bag in the freezer for me so I will have snow for Christmas - one way or another! clap.gif

yeah.....bizzarre........non in town either

Anyway that cloud is now over me, it appears to be breaking up and no shower of anything.

Edited by martinj2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'm not surprised, the showers this evening have been very heavy producing 5-6 cms in Kendal alone probably more in some areas especially higher ground, not often Morecambe Bay Area does well out of heavy snow, however, the wind direction is ideal, as it shifts to the NW tomorrow expect more showers over the lakeland fells and less in the Morecambe Bay Area.

I can see a further couple of cms falling here before the night is out.

well i tried to get to kendal today and failed for work, do you advise trying to reach there tomorrow, as there must be double the snowfall tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Thanks mate, we certainly need a top up. Heres hoping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I nipped into Woolton this afternoon and was surprised how much snow/ice there was around on the pavements and driveways. I'm only 3 miles away and there's virtually none here. :)

I'm pleased for the rest of you across the region who've had the snow you wanted! My 5 year old God daughter who lives in Manchester has put some in a bag in the freezer for me so I will have snow for Christmas - one way or another! :)

I used to go to Liverpool Hope University and in about 2007 I remember going to university one morning and it was dry here if a little cloudy, as I went towards Birkenhead it started to rain a little. When I got into Liverpool it was raining but absolutely freezing with strong, really raw feeling. On the bus as I got past Kensington it started snowing, I couldn't believe my eyes literally the snow cover emerged in almost a perfect cut line! By the time I got to Childwall there was about 3cm on the ground and it was snowing heavily.

I was really excited as I though I'm going to be greeted by major snow when I got home, instead though I was greeted by rain! Disappointing but it shows you what can occur in short distances!

p.s temperature is gradually rising here, currently +0.0C at the moment, due to the breeze and cloud cover

Posted

well i tried to get to kendal today and failed for work, do you advise trying to reach there tomorrow, as there must be double the snowfall tonight

Last one from me, well its snowing heavy again in Kendal as I type, town centre roads are full of it, it is all going to freeze, so chances are it is going to be chaos getting into the town in the morning - I'd stay away, theres been 3 inches fresh snow this evening on top of the 4 inches that fell yesterday - and there alot of night left!

Night

Posted

Winds have now veered to the west, here comes your chance now for showers.

-5.4c here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Gone cloudy here. Really orange clouds.

Posted

Yep line of heavy showers about to hit you, it's about time you got some snow.

Posted

Just got out of bed to log back in - it's snowing in my part of South Liverpool! Very light flakes, gently floating down from a southerly direction, don't know how long or heavy it will be but nice to see! :air_kiss:

Goodnight all!

Posted

As is being reported and Netw radar confirms, pptn seems to be flaring up almost out of nowhere in Liverpool Bay area

Posted

Just got out of bed to log back in - it's snowing in my part of South Liverpool! Very light flakes, gently floating down from a southerly direction, don't know how long or heavy it will be but nice to see! :good:

Goodnight all!

Thank you for the update.

This indicates the eastward progress of the showers! This shower was not picked up by the 00 hours radar so it either emerged very recently or it's too small and light.

Karyo

Posted

Thank you for the update.

This indicates the eastward progress of the showers! This shower was not picked up by the 00 hours radar so it either emerged very recently or it's too small and light.

Karyo

It has emerged, literally over the last 10 minutes or so, but it does look v light and patchy atm

Posted

It has emerged, literally over the last 10 minutes or so, but it does look v light and patchy atm

The wind direction must be changing, helping the formation of showers.