Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 6

DR Hosking

Posted

anyone know what the coldest daily max is in the UK? The reason i ask is that Tulloch bridge in the Highlands was -8.5c at 10am this morning and down to -15c at 4pm. Not sure what it was overnight but certainly well below freezing, a max of -8.5c must be close to a record for the UK? Any info Mr Data??

Posted

You have to make what you can out of this snowy weather. I'm just on Ebay selling a little bag of snow to some folks who haven't had any white stuff yet.

£40 - good deal I reckon :)

You have to make what you can out of this snowy weather. I'm just on Ebay selling a little bag of snow to some folks who haven't had any white stuff yet.

£40 - good deal I reckon :crazy:

£40 for a bag of 15g of white powder? You'll be flooded with orders from the west of Scotland :whistling:

Edit: And something else Peter :) :), can you request at the next meeting of the round table of mods and forecasters that the swear filter/language correcter can stop changing the fact that when I type something about the M 8 motorway it is changed to a story about my "mate". It's a flipping motorway, not my friend. So if I type "there is heavy snow on the M 8", I don't want it to appear as if my friend has fallen asleep outside. Cheers M 8.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

£40 for a bag of 15g of white powder? You'll be flooded with orders from the west of Scotland :)

Enter the dragon? :whistling::):):)

£40 for a bag of 15g of white powder? You'll be flooded with orders from the west of Scotland :crazy:

Edit: And something else Peter :) :), can you request at the next meeting of the round table of mods and forecasters that the swear filter/language correcter can stop changing the fact that when I type something about the M 8 motorway it is changed to a story about my "mate". It's a flipping motorway, not my friend. So if I type "there is heavy snow on the mate", I don't want it to appear as if my friend has fallen asleep outside. Cheers M 8.

Eh??? :drunk::drunk::help:

Posted

Snow has now passed to the east of here sad.gif but it must have dumped about 3" tonight so i cant complain drinks.gif , i reckon there is about 7" to 8" on the ground now which is by far the largest December snowfall of my life (im only 20) and i have only seen it deeper than this the one time back in the mid 90s.

I wonder what the shotts/harthill area is like would be good to hear if anyone knows.

Good luck to the north and the east for the snow tonight cool.gif

Posted

Snizzle here with the odd spot of heavier flurries. Everything's white again mind - and our street has the most snow it's had since I moved here eight years ago...

A whopping 2cms :D :D :D (But apparently "it always snows in Scotland..." :winky:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

BBC said it could get down to -16c some where over the snow fields of Scotland

I see -17.4c was (according to my book) a record for 22nd December Stokesay 1890 and -15.6c Cambridge 1890 for the 23rd December

Posted

The UKMO 12z charts, the BBC forecasts and the Met Office website don't look good for snow making it down the East coast tonight. The main bulk of the snow is confined to Aberdeenshire and North Angus.

The GFS 12 charts were at odds with this and it will be interesting to see what the 18z run brings.

Posted

Snow has now passed to the east of here sad.gif but it must have dumped about 3" tonight so i cant complain drinks.gif , i reckon there is about 7" to 8" on the ground now which is by far the largest December snowfall of my life (im only 20) and i have only seen it deeper than this the one time back in the mid 90s.

I wonder what the shotts/harthill area is like would be good to hear if anyone knows.

Aye Spud, it's like the Swinging Sixties! The best since 2000??? :winky:

I was a kid in Sassenach Land back then...but... :D

Snizzle here with the odd spot of heavier flurries. Everything's white again mind - and our street has the most snow it's had since I moved here eight years ago...

A whopping 2cms :D :D :D (But apparently "it always snows in Scotland..." :D)

lol Shuggs. that's what I always thought! :D

BBC said it could get down to -16c some where over the snow fields of Scotland

I see -17.4c was (according to my book) a record for 22nd December Stokesay 1890 and -15.6c Cambridge 1890 for the 23rd December

Aye, Stew...Some records could go??? :D

The UKMO 12z charts, the BBC forecasts and the Met Office website don't look good for snow making it down the East coast tonight. The main bulk of the snow is confined to Aberdeenshire and North Angus.

The GFS 12 charts were at odds with this and it will be interesting to see what the 18z run brings.

You never know with showers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I'm rather hoping that tonight's snow on top of what has already fallen beats my previous record depth - 7 inches in March '06. If it makes it here though, I think the hills to our south will suddenly become our friends and keep much of the PPN here.

Posted

I took the Hogwarts express Pete, but the quote didn't hold!

.. actually is multiquote working at all?

nothing is quoting.

ack well here's the points uninteresting or otherwise.

• agree with Shugee, "it never/always snows here" apparently!
  • Hogwarts just came alive :)
  • did y'all see the SE Eng./Anglia thread having to be moderated last night
  • Whatever happens,we've all got snow (apart from D McA :( and we know his turn is gonna come this year don't we!)
  • Records about to be broken are probably being noticed by more than just us weather Geeks
  • So was this politically devised to gloss over the recession?
  • Isn't it fun Sledging, we need for it to be "nice" during the day but stormy through the night.. then frosty to protect the "runs"
  • Where do I go for Xmas dinner if plans fall through

Oh I'm pretty sure I could think of more but I'm sure there's better things to do right now!

Och!! You mean the mate??? :(:):(:):fool:

Let's try this mate...

Bah, let us know how you made mate appear mate...M 8

Snow fair...:rofl:

Whatever happens,we've all got snow (apart from D McA :( and we know his turn is gonna come this year don't we!)

If Duncan doesn't get snow he should take his case to the EU court of human rights. I'm sure that some Eurocrat would take up his case and force snow to fall on his house. It might be his only chance ;):( :( :(

We should all chip in and post some snow to him, for every inch of snow you have you should have to post a kg of snow.....

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

nothing is quoting.

• Hogwarts just came alive :(
  • Whatever happens,we've all got snow (apart from D McA :) and we know his turn is gonna come this year don't we!)
  • Records about to be broken are probably being noticed by more than just us weather Geeks
  • Isn't it fun Sledging, we need for it to be "nice" during the day but stormy through the night.. then frosty to protect the "runs"

Oh I'm pretty sure I could think of more but I'm sure there's better things to do right now!

I haven't bothered with the 'multiquote' yet... :fool:

Sledging is great, but I'll spend Xmas alone - again, naturally...OMG! Gilbert O'Sullivan! :rofl:

Posted

We could Catch or we could get.. someone, sssh (Santa), to deliver it . I do think the official delivery dates have passed but if anyone knows how to get in touch with "You know who" .. just perhaps we could make it so that everyione has what they want :(

Posted

Let's try this mate...

Bah, let us know how you made mate appear mate...M 8

Snow fair...:(

If Duncan doesn't get snow he should take his case to the EU court of human rights. I'm sure that some Eurocrat would take up his case and force snow to fall on his house. It might be his only chance :( :( :):rofl:

We should all chip in and post some snow to him, for every inch of snow you have you should have to post a kg of snow.....

:(:fool: Em Eight???

Posted

nothing is quoting.

• Hogwarts just came alive :)
  • Whatever happens,we've all got snow (apart from D McA :( and we know his turn is gonna come this year don't we!)

Like watch the snow falling in Aberdeenshire then feel sad for those who dont have any but then imeediately realise...oh well!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder storms.

Temp has risen to -2.5 now. Sky looks like we might still see some snow.

Posted
OMG! Gilbert O'Sullivan!

OMG! do you know my real name? Now that's just pure spooky!

Edited by Snooz

Posted

Just noticed earlier all the lampposts now have icicles - lighting up time melted some of the snow on them, which has frozen as it dripped. Wonder how long they'll get...?