Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted

Doesn't look like we got much overnight. We've got in my street a bit more than 50% cover of ice left, yesterday's thaw was damaging.

Still it counts as a snow lying day...just. We need snow tonight though, or the game is up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

todays the day Mark :)

According to the Met Office, so is tomorrow and Saturday and Sunday!

New warning just released...

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of Scotland and Northeast England through New Year's Eve evening and into New Year's Day.

Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow, coupled with freezing temperatures will cause widespread icy roads in places. Showers will fall as snow away from coastal districts and could give more than 5cm of fresh snow in places.

Issued at: 0947 Thu 31 Dec

Moderate snow here now.

Posted

low quality video for those wanting to know whats in store.

i love easterly showers, they have a personality all of their own, seperate to that of frontal snow. (to me anyway :))

VIDEO0004.3gp

Posted

Had that snow shower 5 mins ago, started off as snizzle but just like this morning's shower, it turned too snow with some quite large flakes falling at times.

I have to say though, bit surprised and slightly dissapointed by the lack of shower activity, was looking forward to a sunshine and shower day but following on from those 2 showers has been mostly cloud so it is so far a dull day.

Posted

Fairly heavy snow here,everything has a covering again now and it is crunchy under foot.:)

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

A couple of cm here now, I hope we get more of those showers today! Started off as graupel, but it quickly changed to large flakes :) There looks to be a few showers building over the North Sea on the radar.

Edited by alza

Posted

A couple of cm here now, I hope we get more of those showers today! Started off as graupel, but it quickly changed to large flakes :) There looks to be a few showers building over the North Sea on the radar.

How high up are you??? :shok: I got a mere patchy dusting here which is slowly thawing.

Alot more high cloud than i thought there would be, alot less showers in the North Sea than i thought there would be, all equals to a grey cold morning. Not exactly exciting aint it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

How high up are you??? :shok: I got a mere patchy dusting here which is slowly thawing.

Alot more high cloud than i thought there would be, alot less showers in the North Sea than i thought there would be, all equals to a grey cold morning. Not exactly exciting aint it?

I'm roughly 80m asl, and I've just checked and there is 1.5cm on the wall.

Trying to snow again at 10:50.

Edited by alza

Posted

I'm roughly 80m asl, and I've just checked and there is 1.5cm on the wall.

Trying to snow again at 10:50.

I'm currently at work in Byker and there is nothing more than a light dusting :shok:

Posted

plenty here Kieth.

I'm currently at work in Byker and there is nothing more than a light dusting :D

bus stuck on the a68 outside the club lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Had a hail shower which has turned to heavy snow earlier this morning, left a dusting though as the snow was the wet variety.

GFS PPN charts don't make for pretty viewing whilst the beeb forecasts look much more promising, lets hope the beeb is right. :D

I saw your shower- it passed by at 6:40 to 7am and missed Cleadon by the slenderest of margins.

Hail shower followed by snow at 9:20 to 9:40am gave a dusting on the ground but no "snow lying day" as there was nothing on the ground at 9am. I'm quite surprised at the amount of high cloud as well, but the radar suggests more showers are developing out in the North Sea. It was between 3 and 4C here for most of the night, but fell to 1.1C in that aforementioned shower and is now 1.2C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

plenty here Kieth.

bus stuck on the a68 outside the club lol.

usual carry on up Blackhill Bank again.....

Posted

The showers are building up and building up in the north sea at the moment, its never ending, I just hope we get some decent falls Later today, will the convection continue during the night?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Convection will indeed continue overnight, irrespective of what the GFS Precipitation shows- it usually underdoes shower activity in these circumstances. Shower activity will become increasingly confined to the east coast tomorrow, before temporarily moving out into the North Sea on Saturday but then coming straight back in again. Chance of snow showers for the foreseeable future, until the high eventually topples in from the NW somewhere around the 8th-10th January.

It's amazing that I'm able to write something like this and genuinely feel that it's the most likely scenario.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I saw your shower- it passed by at 6:40 to 7am and missed Cleadon by the slenderest of margins.

Hail shower followed by snow at 9:20 to 9:40am gave a dusting on the ground but no "snow lying day" as there was nothing on the ground at 9am. I'm quite surprised at the amount of high cloud as well, but the radar suggests more showers are developing out in the North Sea. It was between 3 and 4C here for most of the night, but fell to 1.1C in that aforementioned shower and is now 1.2C.

The high cloud shows up well on satellite...

http://sat24.com/gb

Looks like it will hopefully clear from the north later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!

Just had a look at the visible sat image on the met office website.Look at the different cloud structure over Scotland,some lovely high topped clouds up there.Trouble is they are only very slowly moving down to our area, while we are stuck with this grey sheet of cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Damn im gutted no snow this morning but my dad has come back from work and his store manager lives just outside of sunderland and they have 3inches of snow apparently. wallbash.gif

Posted

Just had a look at the visible sat image on the met office website.Look at the different cloud structure over Scotland,some lovely high topped clouds up there.Trouble is they are only very slowly moving down to our area, while we are stuck with this grey sheet of cloud.

like Mark says,i think it will clear.