Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Getting a bit bored of these rain and hail showers now, bring on the snow!

Looks like by tonight most of us should see the showers either turn to proper settling hail/graupel or snow.

850 temps this morning...

post-3392-12621706234113_thumb.jpg

850 temps this evening...

post-3392-12621706317213_thumb.jpg

Posted

Getting a bit bored of these rain and hail showers now, bring on the snow!

Looks like by tonight most of us should see the showers either turn to proper settling hail/graupel or snow.

850 temps this morning...

post-3392-12621706234113_thumb.jpg

850 temps this evening...

post-3392-12621706317213_thumb.jpg

A drop of few degrees would be nice. Currently 0.5C here with snow shrs. Some limited drifting in strong gusty wind but its not the powdery snow we usually get here.

Mark

Edited by Tucco

Posted

Problem is MCT, the charts are showing there won't be much PPN around tonight so typically, as it gets colder, the PPN goes away until Thursday.

We shall see though, not as many showers here but there were some good old hail showers here last night bashing against me window.

Posted

Just heard thunder here.

Plenty more showers on and off, I just hope they continue when it gets cold enough for settling snow.

I was out walking the dog at the time and there was 2 big rumbles of thunder,also there was thunder at about 6am this morning which woke me up,looked out the window and it was throwing it down with snow.

Very slushy under foot this morning but those hail showers are helping to keep the snow cover topped up until we can get some more frost.

Posted

Just had a very wet and useless snow shower pass through which was never going to lie in a million years. My snowcover is under serios threat and there are breaks here and there. These showers are hindering not helping.

Posted

Just had a very wet and useless snow shower pass through which was never going to lie in a million years. My snowcover is under serios threat and there are breaks here and there. These showers are hindering not helping.

The colder air appears to taking a long time to arrive from the North and East. Should drop from -5C to -7C 850mb temp by 1500z

Mark

Posted

Its been dry here for over an hour and the temperature has continued rising and is currently 3.3c.By tomorrow morning I feel we will be back to some proper snow showers.

Posted

I would not worry about the snow thawing in truthness, Paul. It was bound to go eventually and who knows, we might see a top up by Friday/Saturday morning. :drinks:

All the snow/ice is gone here and it's strange too see the garden green again, hopefully that won't be the case for long.

Anyways, most of the showers have dodged us and headed South however we did have an hail turning to rain shower about 30 mins ago.

The colder air is now digging in, -2 dewpoints in Newcastle now, just hope the temp will be on the right side of marginal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think a large majority of the region will see topups by Friday morning.

Snow almost completely gone from Cleadon- the warming effects of the North Sea and the lack of a cold airmass overhead has helped temperatures to rise to a high of 5.5C, falling to 4C in showers. There was hail last night, but showers today have been almost entirely rain except for a bit of sleet around 2pm.

Tonight we will start to see the colder air filter down from the NE. Probably a window of drier weather followed by more showers, falling as snow inland (might just rescue the snow cover at Newton Aycliffe) but probably a wintry mix within about 5-10 miles of the coast. During tomorrow, we can expect further hail, sleet and snow showers, providing accumulations inland but just temporary dustings near the coast. By Friday with the wind slackening and backing northerly, coastal areas should wake up to a snow cover as well.

Saturday will be dry with the shortwave to the north keeping showers out in the North Sea- though I'm surprised the shortwave doesn't appear to be associated with any precipitation. For Sunday and into early next week the easterly picks up in association with cold upper air, most likely continuing the theme of sunshine and snow showers, especially if the ECMWF is nearer the mark than the GFS (which it has tended to be so far).

Posted

Weather warning on the metoffice site for Snow in the north East

Snow showers are expected to affect many areas but especially coasts and hills exposed to the north. The showers may be heavy and give fresh accumulations of 2-5cm in some places and locally 10cm.

Icy patches on untreated surfaces may become widespread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Weather warning on the metoffice site for Snow in the north East

Snow showers are expected to affect many areas but especially coasts and hills exposed to the north. The showers may be heavy and give fresh accumulations of 2-5cm in some places and locally 10cm.

Icy patches on untreated surfaces may become widespread.

Doesn't really match their forecast for tomorrow...

Mainly dry and bright with some sunshine. A few wintry showers are expected. Remaining very cold though, with a keen northeasterly breeze blowing. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Anyway I hope the warning is right, snow cover is getting a bit patchy now and needs freshened up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Although the temperature is up at 4.8C still, the dewpoint is dropping away nicely so I imagine that when those two bands of showers to the north of us slowly sink south, they should contain more of a wintry flavour and cause a more appreciable drop in temperature by the coast, as well as possibly falling as snow inland.

Posted

At least we can now see the moon now(when there is no cloud covering it!) which is a good thing as the temps in theory should drop a bit and it also mean this annoying high cloud is starting to thin and break so we can see what is happening out in the North Sea on the cloud images!

Posted

At least we can now see the moon now(when there is no cloud covering it!) which is a good thing as the temps in theory should drop a bit and it also mean this annoying high cloud is starting to thin and break so we can see what is happening out in the North Sea on the cloud images!

in theory but mine has gone back to 3.7oC instead of 3oC earlier lol :cray:

mind you, kind of glad all the ice has gone today - it was so bad outside my house litterally had to walk down the midle of the road as pavements were sheet ice.

Posted

I think that is because the wind has picked up slightly from the sea thus rising the temps slightly. Mind you they should drop as the wind should ease a little bit and back a little more NE'ly.

The convection period is not all that long as the shortwave backs the wind NW'ly and we stay dry... although according to the FAX charts, there is some sort of trough over us. However the winds do again back easterly albeit much slacker which brings the risk of some showers off the sea.

I think(and hope) most of us will see a covering but i would be cautious and say around 1-3CM at best.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I'm right on the coast here in 'Sooth Shields' and all is turning white although temporarily as a fairly heavy shower is presently giving hail and snow. Temperature is a 'balmy' 4.7°C...!! dew point is 0.5°C. so quite suprised at the ppn we are having.

Upland roads in pennine Co durham are now extremely hazardous due to fresh snow and existing snow blowing - pls keep away. We have just had to airlift 6 motorists from the Teesdale area.

I am Team Leader - Teesdale and Weardale Search and Mountain Rescue Team

Posted

Well this upcoming cold spell is now looking awesome for us here in the northeast. Slowly turning colder tonight, maybe the odd heavy shower giving some people fresh snow cover. Then things start to get interesting Tomorrow night and into New Years Day;

http://69.16.188.140/c9s4a5k3/cds/gfsimages/gfs.20091230/12/45/ukprec.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=0b94b8d440af13ca40ff139a913a18c5d42a9d49&dopsig=29aed81a24e30d6c6fe3c11f856a57fb

http://209.197.11.108/c9s4a5k3/cds/gfsimages/gfs.20091230/12/45/ukmaxtemp.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=0b94b8d440af139540ff13c5913a189a40ff131a&dopsig=e7fe706a7ff53c6a698f1f603482ac04

One thing still of concern to myself is these temperatures for the coast being projected by the GFS, they may make things a tad marginal at the coast which is causing some concern for myself, but dewpoints possibly to the rescue being sub-zero...

http://209.197.11.106/c9s4a5k3/cds/gfsimages/gfs.20091230/12/45/ukpaneltemp.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=0b94b8d440af131f40ff134f913a180440ff137a&dopsig=9aa731b09bf7cf921d158fd4c2ca2456

During the last cold spell the GFS forecast our temperatues quite well in comparison to the METOFFICE, so with surface temperatures bordering 3 or 4 things could turn marginal at times.

But if things are on the right side of marginal i can see us doing very well over the next week or so, very well indeed, maybe i will have to attach a snow plough to the front of my car. I personally have never experienced cold lasting this long, just want the foot of snow now to get all my exams cancelled in January !

SNOW-MAN2006