IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Typical it breaks up before it gets too me! wallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Can anyone give me an update on the conditions around Druham City please?

I'm skiing in Italy since Sunday and just wondering if the snowcover has stayed or melted and what the shower activity has been like.

I'd also be interested in predicted conditions for NCL Airport on Sunday afternoon which is when we're due back.

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Hope you're having a great holiday!

I haven't been to Durham but going by conditions elsewhere I would think Durham will still have some old compacted snow remaining in some parts, and probably a fresh dusting of snow or graupel from the showers this evening.

Sunday at the moment looks like just a few snow showers, but obviously that could change.

Posted

Well, it has been a bad thaw today. We had a couple cm frozen compacted cover this morning, pretty much 100%, giving our 14th consecutive snow lie day, but by late afternoon, it was more like 50% cover of ice.

Luckily we've just had a shower turn things white, so hopefully a bit of fresh snow laid in the morning will keep things right!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Thanks for that, hopefully we'll get home before the fun and games start.

Hopefully we'll see something significant shortly. To me it looks like a Greeny block gradually progressing Eastwards which should be good news for us long term.

Ideally I'd like to see snow like Jan 05 which saw significant amounts in the dales (not sure how we compare this year) or like 03 or 04 i think where we got a significant fall from an isolated overnight system which just seemed to affect the North East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well, it has been a bad thaw today. We had a couple cm frozen compacted cover this morning, pretty much 100%, giving our 14th consecutive snow lie day, but by late afternoon, it was more like 50% cover of ice.

Luckily we've just had a shower turn things white, so hopefully a bit of fresh snow laid in the morning will keep things right!

I expect showers to redevelop across this region from about 4-6am, after a dry slot with just isolated showers early in the night. Temperatures should be another degree lower by the time the next batch reaches us so I think you stand an excellent chance of seeing out December with 15 consecutive snow days. It will be marginal near the coast but at Newton Aycliffe it should be cold enough for the snow to settle.

Posted

Hail Shower here now stopped though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I expect showers to redevelop across this region from about 4-6am, after a dry slot with just isolated showers early in the night.

If the showers continue their current rate of southward progress, though, we might well be talking as early as 3am.

Posted

I knew you'd be in here tongue.gif

Lol come on msn mate :yahoo: and is this happenning to anybody else but the dewpoint keeps going up and down by a C occassionally by a few C every 10mins mellow.gif i think its my school weather station though been faulty

Posted

just been to corbridge for a curry at the valley and there were several snow showers out there, although brief.

From the few hours i have missed i gather things are looking favourable for our area?

Posted

I thought Saturday was going to be the driest day?

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of northeast England on Saturday.

Outbreaks of sleet and snow, which may be heavy at times, will spread south across the area during Saturday. Significant accumulations are possible, especially over hills.

Issued at: 2208 Wed 30 Dec

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ne/ne_forecast_warnings.html

:D

Posted

interesting temp dropped here from 2.7oC at 3am to 0.5oC at 7am. just had a heavy hail shower. looks like the other shows may start falling as snow.

Posted

Had a hail shower which has turned to heavy snow earlier this morning, left a dusting though as the snow was the wet variety.

GFS PPN charts don't make for pretty viewing whilst the beeb forecasts look much more promising, lets hope the beeb is right. :D

Posted

Looking at the radar we had quite a heavy shower which lasted about 30 mins from 7am.

Everything is covered again now and looking very nice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!

Woke up this morning to a fine covering of hail.Looking out to the east there is a big shower on the horizon,it will be interesting to see what it delivers here in Jarrow.The radar shows it to be quite heavy,lets hope so!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!

Well,the latest shower brought 10 mins of moderate hail leaving everywhere white again.It has eased off now,just very light snow now.temp is 1.2c on my very amateur weather station outside.

Posted

Newcastle getting it now...

http://www.tynebridgewebcam.com/north.htm

Looks like it's just intensified before hitting Newcastle.

It's about to hit here any minute.

Posted

and no sleet in sight!

imag0018q.jpg

interesting that the temp has dropped dramaticaly also, its now 0.0oC outside. not 6 hous ago it was near 3oC