Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Upland roads in pennine Co durham are now extremely hazardous due to fresh snow and existing snow blowing - pls keep away. We have just had to airlift 6 motorists from the Teesdale area.

I am Team Leader - Teesdale and Weardale Search and Mountain Rescue Team

Can I add to this that DCC have closed most of the higher roads and 'passes' including Kilhope, Crawleyside, Langdon Beck to Alston etc etc, be very careful if your going to play in the snow....drifts are now as high as houses in places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Temp was up at 4.6C before the hail shower arrived but is now dropping- another lot to come according to the radar. The ground was temporarily whitened by the hail which was fairly big- a lot bigger than the graupel that I saw a lot of yesterday.

Posted

A very blustery graupel shower mixed with some hail here in Newcastle , Temps have rapidly dropped to 1.0c from 3.4c

EDIT: Is now a heavy snow shower with temps down to 0.4c. What the hell has just happened ?

Edited by snow_mad_09

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Surprisingly got a gush of sleet/snow in the latest shower at Cleadon, with temperature responding slowly- down to 3.6C at present. Most of the shower was sleety, but during the heaviest phase of the shower it was definitely snowing.

Posted

Can I add to this that DCC have closed most of the higher roads and 'passes' including Kilhope, Crawleyside, Langdon Beck to Alston etc etc, be very careful if your going to play in the snow....drifts are now as high as houses in places.

do you have a link for that?

Posted

Just had similar what TWS had, most certainly snowflakes mixed in with the hail.

By no means it was heavy either so signs the colder air is digging in. Must say the forecasts do look fairly promising aswell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Posted

Looking at the radar and the temperature behaviour (3.0 last time I checked) maybe this line of showers marks the transition to the colder Arctic air coming in behind, heralding progressively wintrier showers. There will be a long dry slot between this area of showers, once it clears south, and the next which is currently over SE Scotland- this should hit us by around 5am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

TWS do you think ill wake upto a covering of snow! yahoo.gif

Posted

Heavy snow here at the moment.

Conditions have certainly changed here this afternoon,the snow is now sticking to all surfaces so that should be the end of the slushy stuff.

Posted

TWS do you think ill wake upto a covering of snow! yahoo.gif

You will probably have a dusting of some description tomorrow morning, but probably in the form of temporary accumulations during showers followed by thaws in the clear intervals in between, as it will be marginal. Friday looks like a safe bet though.

Posted

You will probably have a dusting of some description tomorrow morning, but probably in the form of temporary accumulations during showers followed by thaws in the clear intervals in between, as it will be marginal. Friday looks like a safe bet though.

Good aslong as i go to bed tommorrow night at midnight with snow on the ground i will be happy! yahoo.gif

Posted

there is a band of showers heading south west hopefully this band will fall as snow as it comes over Middlesbrough :D I can only hope!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Heavy hail just gave way to light snow, it's snowing lightly as I type this.

Posted

Another short, sharp shower of wet snow- seems that temperatures overall have dropped by about 1C (it was peaking at 4.5-5.0C in clear intervals before, but now it's peaking at 3.5-4.0 in between showers).

Posted

Another short, sharp shower of wet snow- seems that temperatures overall have dropped by about 1C (it was peaking at 4.5-5.0C in clear intervals before, but now it's peaking at 3.5-4.0 in between showers).

down to freezing here now.

Posted

Is it me or those snow showers have merged into a band of snow? anyways there heading right towards me let it snow please! drinks.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Is it me or those snow showers have merged into a band of snow? anyways there heading right towards me let it snow please! drinks.gif

as gunna pray for ya tonight lol

Posted

as gunna pray for ya tonight lol

Lol its much appreactiated lol :nonono: anyways light is on and im onguard for it lol :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Very thin layer of slush and hail now :wallbash: Barely any ice and snow left from the other week though.

Posted

The line of showers has cleared south of Cleadon now- so should be dry for the next 4-6 hours or so, before the next lot of showers currently over the Firth of Forth head southwards into the region. There should then be a fair amount of shower activity through the day tomorrow, and I am convinced that the GFS is underestimating the amount and inland penetration of shower activity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

The line of showers has cleared south of Cleadon now- so should be dry for the next 4-6 hours or so, before the next lot of showers currently over the Firth of Forth head southwards into the region. There should then be a fair amount of shower activity through the day tomorrow, and I am convinced that the GFS is underestimating the amount and inland penetration of shower activity.

Sounds good, I think I'll set up a time lapse facing east tomorrow. If it turns out good I'll post it on here.

Got a fresh covering of snow and graupel here, and it's snowing again now.

Posted

Some decent CAPE around our region on friday.

Thundery wintry showers looks a fair bet.:lol: