Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Very heavy hail here, you can't open the front door without it pouring in!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Showers continuing to arc around Cleadon, some to the north, west, east and south, but a continued dry line affecting Cleadon.

Posted

how much lying snow do you folks have in consett?

we have major ground melt for the first time in 10 days.still got loads in the back streets and gardens 2-3" of hard compacted snow.

just picked the daughter up from the town bus station,and its belting down in a strong wind now.

the road from consett down to moorside is best handled with caution.

Posted

the heavy sleet/hail is washing the remaing snow away from my flat garage roof :whistling: :whistling:

Edited by izi

Posted

Had an heavy hail shower around 5 mins ago, left a dusting of hail on the ground although it is rapidly melting.

My remaining snow/ice patchy covering has took a battering and not many patches left in the garden, oh well never mind. Hopefully at least some covering of snow by Saturday morning. :yahoo:

Posted

Had an heavy hail shower around 5 mins ago, left a dusting of hail on the ground although it is rapidly melting.

My remaining snow/ice patchy covering has took a battering and not many patches left in the garden, oh well never mind. Hopefully at least some covering of snow by Saturday morning. :)

i cant wait to see the back of all this mucky snow lying about.it's amazing how many dog turds you notice when youlv'e had a 10 day freeze lol.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

i cant wait to see the back of all this mucky snow lying about.it's amazing how many dog turds you notice when youlv'e had a 10 day freeze lol.

Ha ha.. thats just what i was thinkin when i was out this afternoon... Hope the heavy sleet/hail showers wash em away..!!

Posted

They might do that but at this rate, they won't come back if that shortwaves continue to scupper the easterly.

Btw, i hate shortwaves, i really do!!! why can't we just get a nice clean flow for once, that shortwave on the 18Z has ruin the easterly after it barely gets going. We got about 12-18 hours of convective potential it would seem, if that!

edit: i was being a little too rash but the easterly flow albeit quite slack in nature comes back and gives us some showery activity too boot. However showers probably won't make that far inland although they should last longer and should fall as snow.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Pretty ideal from my perspective in Cleadon at the moment- the sleet/hail (yes, we finally hit a few showers) is washing away that unpleasant icy stuff- all in preparation for a nice top-up on Thursday/Friday.

Posted

Pretty ideal from my perspective in Cleadon at the moment- the sleet/hail (yes, we finally hit a few showers) is washing away that unpleasant icy stuff- all in preparation for a nice top-up on Thursday/Friday.

Losing snowcover is the most un-ideal thing I can think of, I want unbroken cover until the next lot arrives, call me greedy if you like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

What about tomorrow? Looks like plenty of ppn on the GFS charts.

Is it similar to today with a wintry mix for most?

EDIT: Same for me Paul, I want to see how many days we can manage, up to 12 now.

Posted

EDIT: Same for me Paul, I want to see how many days we can manage, up to 12 now.

i would think so at the momment Mark.

thursday has always been my dream night,i need it to belt down so i dont have to go to the sister-in-laws for new years eve :yahoo:

Posted

It's 13 for me, we had a dusting of >50% on the morning of the 17th.

Posted

Losing snowcover is the most un-ideal thing I can think of, I want unbroken cover until the next lot arrives, call me greedy if you like.

I'd probably feel the same if I was at your location- unfortunately Cleadon's had just a smattering of ice covering <50% of the ground in the last two days, so not really much use! I did manage 10 snow days on the trot though which is the most since February 1991.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

The showers in NE Scotland seem to have all been snow by looking at the traffic cams. They are in colder air which is due to sink southwards tomorrow. This time tomorrow we could all be seeing snow, though I doubt it will be cold enough to lie along the coast.

Posted

How far away from the coast are we talking here?

Middlesbrough for example which is about 4-5 Mile away from the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Very heavy hail and sleet with some snow and thunder during the night, only a small amount new snow lying in Shotley.

Posted

its 4*c here!!! Where is the cold, just looked at xcweather and even Scotland is warming up!!!

I'm still thinking i'll get nothing the next 3-4 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Just heard thunder here.

Plenty more showers on and off, I just hope they continue when it gets cold enough for settling snow.